RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many shots in a group?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    I don't know - how many can you put in the same hole?
    I've never had that problem.

slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    What is JPW....
    Johnson's Paste Wax.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Some days the absolute best I can do is to be certain that the point of impact is roughly where the sights or crosshairs are pointed. The pretty 3 or 5 shot clusters you see in gun rags are usually just not happening. If I'm actually trying to group, I'll usually fire like 8 or 10 rounds slow fire to see where the general trend is. I still nearly always make things go dead so I guess I'm doing pretty good!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

When I could afford to shoot more, my hunting rifle, a Ruger 1B 270Win, would get the first run at the targets. 300m pigs. I expected to knock down 2 in sequence with 2 shots from a bench using some loose padding like I would in the forest.

over the last 20 years, I've been 2 for 2, and have never needed to clean the rifle, or adjust the scope

also, this is with ANY factory loaded ammo

I feel confident any game animal I hunt with the 270, if within that 300m range, is meat in my freezer
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

For me a lot depends on the guns use I used to shoot 5 even 10 shot groups in a hunting rifle I did find the groups will move as the gun heats up . In my Varmint rifle 6 mm Rem Heavy barrel or .22 rimfire I do not notice the same .
    Last week I fired three shot groups with my 30-06 but only 2 shot group with my Marlin 1895 Recoil was the biggest reason for 2 shot groups.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    For me a lot depends on the guns use I used to shoot 5 even 10 shot groups in a hunting rifle I did find the groups will move as the gun heats up . In my Varmint rifle 6 mm Rem Heavy barrel or .22 rimfire I do not notice the same .
    Last week I fired three shot groups with my 30-06 but only 2 shot group with my Marlin 1895 Recoil was the biggest reason for 2 shot groups.
    Pause for a full minute between shots unless you don't under hunting conditions.

Can't imagine why that would be necessary anyway unless it's prairie dog hunting but perhaps I'm missing something.

Boolit Master

to me it is the first shot out of a cold barrel that counts. Any shots I fire after that are just practice to hold steady. That first shot is what I adjust the scope to.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Every rifle is a law unto itself as far as barrel heating and time between shots goes. My .30-30's with jacketed loads heat up fast and take forever to cool, as does my Browning BLR. My center-fire bolt actions are much better in that regard. I can usually make several slow fire groups with them and the barrel never gets too hot to touch.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Hannibal Yes I rarely shoot more then a single shot for deer but vermin can take several quick shots to anchor or get them all. Just the other night the motion light came on and three Raccoons were in the yard I only got one but also got a 80 yard shot on a skunk at same time with a Mini-14 .
    Next Night I got one other about the same time of night .

It was how I use the guns that dropped my numbers of shots more then anything else early on I did find out how heat effects the barrel of my 30-06 with the ten shot groups . OH I should add the higher cost of even reloads as well I did mention recoil above.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12