Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for this Ruger NO. 1

Boolit Master

How much would you pay for this Ruger NO. 1

Local dealer has a No. 1 in 308 with aftermarket heavy contour blued barrel with integral compensator. Price tag is $1,500. How much would you pay for this fun with after maket barrel. Gun is too heavy for me to carry in the woods.

Boolit Buddy

Ruger No. 1's are collectable. They have to be in their original configuration. I shoot a Ruger 1V in 22 Hornet. It is deadly accurate. Cheap to shoot with 45 gr jacketed Sierra's and 12 grs of Winchester 680 I must have 40 lbs of the Winchester 680 ball powder. So I figure my great grandsons will still be shooting it! Was going to sell it a couple of years ago to finance another project. Was asking $1800 for it with a Leupold 12X and a Harris bipod. Fancy wood too. Paid my distributor a couple of bucks to select one for me with extra fancy wood. $1500 for a rebarreled gun? I'm figuring $1200 would be about right. If you like the 308 caliber, the barrel could be turned to make the gun a carry in the woods rifle. The dealer should not get upset with a $1200 offer.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    1500 isn't a bad price on a #1 in good condition. If you want or think you need it write the check.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the barrel marked with a maker or 'smith's name? Some gunsmiths I would pay that price for their work without hesitation. If it is a simple re-barrel then that is different. Compensator come off it you wanted it to? How is the trigger?

If custom and marked I think it could be a great buy. If a simple re-barrel, I agree with the above and would offer less.

Boolit Master
    Sounds hi to me. I looke at 3 no 1;s this week in one shop, a .22-250, .220 Swift and a .270, all with pristine barrels and the 270 had birdshead walnut, first one I have ever seen knock your eyes out. None of them looked like they had been fired. $1500 out the door, take your pick.

"The more you pay, the more it's worth".

Never have understood the romance of the Ruger. Doesn't function any better than guns costing half as much or less, but there it is. You're buying emotion, and there's no rational way to price that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I'd have to agree that it sounds a little high.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I'm not a Ruger No 1 fan. My offer would probably get me tossed from the shop, so I would politely put it back on the rack.

Banned

i wouldnt buy it period. i quit buying guns a few years ago that when i take to a local dealer all i get is a chuckle or an "i could never sell that".

I have a #1 in .357 magnum. Great little shooter. I think I'd pay 1,500 for the one you listed above.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Cast Boolits Owner

Depends on your preference. I enjoy/collect #1’s & #3’s. All are original except one #3 which has been re-barreled to 22TCM (I do have the original barrel so it can be returned to original configuration).

I would not pay that price unless it came with the original barrel and some additional items to help offset the cost of returning it to original condition but as I said earlier - depends on YOUR preference.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Having owned a new one back in the early 80’s, I wouldn’t own another one at any price. It had a mediocre trigger at best, and shot rather poorly from the day I bought it till the day I got rid of it. I ended up buying a Savage V1 (? IIRC) single shot that shot way, way better and cost a third of the price. I never understood the mystique of this gun.

Boolit Master

If this is bidded out, market price will be whatever’s tolerated.
    Been eyeing out one in 45-70 just because I wanna hotrod the cartridge but I can only tolerate $1k
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

IMO, the asking is way too high - especially considering the additional cost to either turn down/shorten or replace the barrel (likely 50% of the asking price).

The thing about "high" priced guns is that the source should be considered, as different gun shops charge different prices for virtually the same item that is available across the table (except for custom guns).

The thing about custom guns is that they were customized to a particular owner's tastes, which may not suit many other potential buyers - and many sellers just cannot get that into their heads.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If you are buying it because you love the #1 and like the new barrel and cartridge, then it would be hard to buy a #1 and have the work done for the $1500 asking price. But it sounds like you're a collector, and not crazy about the barrel weight to begin with. And it will never have collector appeal after it's had the barrel changed, so you have to ask yourself if anyone else would pay the $1500 should you get tired of it?
    I personally think there are likely many guns I own that people might not like, or appreciate enough to pay what I paid. But I didn't buy them to resell, so doesn't matter if they were bargains, or just fair prices.

Recently I was searching around looking at No.1's in 9.3x74R.
    Saw one online at a big sporting goods store for $2300.
    It's gone so I reckon it's been sold.

Boolit Master

Considering you're probably looking at it as a project action and will need a new forend? A grand out the door. Less if you can manage it.

A varmint barrel on a falling block action in a non-traditional caliber and configuration for falling blocks - seems like a pretty hard gun to sell for anything but that project action. I'd open with that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I have fired a ruger 1 but to me it was too heavy to cart around all day and appeared to be overly complicated for a single shot.
    People go all goggly eyed over them but to me ho hum.
    Rather something lighter and simpler.

If you could take the barrel off and machine it a lighter contour and get rid of the blaster on the end then it might be worth a look.
    It would be only a range queen or something you drag out the Ute and shoot over the bonnet with otherwise.
    To me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I have fired a ruger 1 but to me it was too heavy to cart around all day and appeared to be overly complicated for a single shot.
    People go all goggly eyed over them but to me ho hum.
    Rather something lighter and simpler.

If you could take the barrel off and machine it a lighter contour and get rid of the blaster on the end then it might be worth a look.
    It would be only a range queen or something you drag out the Ute and shoot over the bonnet with otherwise.
    To me anyway.
    Although I'm not a fan of Ruger #1's, I love big heavy single shot rifles, and I'm pretty used to packing those over 10 lbs. while hunting. Almost all of mine have no sling swivels, so when I take one hunting it truly means packing it around, and not slinging it over my shoulder. But I don't mind much as it's worth it to me to be carrying what I love!

Owned several, the one i never would sell is the little Hornet, the rest all went and never wanted another. They are cool rifles but not all shoot well without serious help to the trigger and forstock but that is also true to most rifles not used for just deer hunting where 3-4 in groups are ok for most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast