RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Armadillo Hunting?

Boolit Master
    Winger Ed, I guess that could happen with livestock but I’ve owned cattle for over 50 years in “armadillo country” and never had a problem that I know of. They mostly stay in wooded areas for their own safety from predators and tend to burrow around trees and fence lines.

I have a few relatives that are ranchers.
    I never heard one of them saying they ever had a critter break its leg in one of the holes,
    but they seemed to be concerned about it.
    Maybe because cows, at any stage of their life are very valuable.
    I've only seen one of their burrows in a place it could be a hazard, but it was on farming land.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    Winger Ed, I guess that could happen with livestock but I’ve owned cattle for over 50 years in “armadillo country” and never had a problem that I know of. They mostly stay in wooded areas for their own safety from predators and tend to burrow around trees and fence lines.
    I also have only found them in the woods , usually digging and burrowing around tree roots ... but there was one time , in an open hay field , it looked like bowling balls were slowly moving across the open field about 15 - 20 ... we stopped the car , wife and kids got out and watched this spectical ... shiney dark rounded shells , looked like bowling balls ( or cannon balls) about 2 to 3 feet apart and all moving in the same direction slowly across the hay field ... the 8" high grass hid their heads and legs , so from the road you can imagine how "creepy" and surreal this looked in the late afternoon light . All these bowling balls moving in the same direction !
    I've never heard of armadillo's migrating or anyone else ever seeing such a sight .

I hope sone else knows about this ... I've never told anyone about seeing this because ... it's sounds like such a cock & bull story ! Migrating Armadillo's !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    An armadillo digs its hole at about a 45 degree angle so maybe that’s why you don’t hear about many injuries. Now a prairie dog hole is a bigger problem from what I’m told. Fortunately I don’t have any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I also have only found them in the woods , usually digging and burrowing around tree roots ... but there was one time , in an open hay field , it looked like bowling balls were slowly moving across the open field about 15 - 20 ... we stopped the car , wife and kids got out and watched this spectical ... shiney dark rounded shells , looked like bowling balls ( or cannon balls) about 2 to 3 feet apart and all moving in the same direction slowly across the hay field ... the 8" high grass hid their heads and legs , so from the road you can imagine how "creepy" and surreal this looked in the late afternoon light . All these bowling balls moving in the same direction !
    I've never heard of armadillo's migrating or anyone else ever seeing such a sight .

I hope sone else knows about this ... I've never told anyone about seeing this because ... it's sounds like such a cock & bull story ! Migrating Armadillo's !!!
    Gary
    HA HA!

In days to come we can tell of the huge herds of 'dillars roaming the prairie until we came and wiped them all out!

I've watched my turkey and quail populations decline to nearly zero as the armadillo population has increased. All with no land development/habitat change.

I will execute all I see of this invasive and destructive species and enjoy doing so knowing I am helping my native species in any way I can.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Only one way to find out. Grab the flashlight. Make sure to post pics of the exploded carcasses.
    Okay unfortunately I could not find any armadillos however at 50 yards these bullets smack the heck out of the 12 inch diameter 3/8 inch thick AR 500 steel swinger. I hit it 6/6 times.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    155 grain MP359 Hammer hollow points over 16.5 grain H110 in 357 Magnum.

Is this armadillo medicine?

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
    Yeah buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’d go with a .22LR, and make sure you pick them up cause they’re actually good meat. Just cook it all the way through like you do with chicken and pork so you don’t catch anything, cause they’re known to occasionally carry leprosy.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    I’d go with a .22LR, and make sure you pick them up cause they’re actually good meat. Just cook it all the way through like you do with chicken and pork so you don’t catch anything, cause they’re known to occasionally carry leprosy.
    Ever notice that no one ever takes a bite of chicken, smacks thier lips and says it tastes like rattlesnake?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post

Like Like Like !!!

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Howdy folks. I ran across this topic looking for information on using 30 caliber cast bullets on armadillos. I have been making war on this obnoxious creature my whole life. So far this year I have six confirmed kills, most shot with a pistol and jacketed hollow points. Yesterday I got the bright idea of taking some reduced 308 jacketed loads with me deer hunting for quieter armadillo disposal. Either point of impact with 165 grain bullets at 1200 fps is greatly different at 20 - 30 yards or the bullet zipped through them without causing enough damage to kill immediately. The third attempt was with a standard velocity bullet which of course blew him apart.

I have been tinkering with an Ohaus 170 grain flat point mold and am going to try casting some from pure lead with some tin added and see how they do on armadillos. I’ve been using Trail Boss and shooting at barely supersonic velocity. Going to drop the charge down to subsonic to have a quieter armadillo killer that maybe won’t spook deer.

Anyone ever try this?

Boolit Master

Most of my subsonic loads at 1050 fps shoot several inches low at 50 yards compared to normal full velocity loads. Just depends on the rifle and load where POI will be.

Quote Originally Posted by MS Caster View Post
    Howdy folks. I ran across this topic looking for information on using 30 caliber cast bullets on armadillos. I have been making war on this obnoxious creature my whole life. So far this year I have six confirmed kills, most shot with a pistol and jacketed hollow points. Yesterday I got the bright idea of taking some reduced 308 jacketed loads with me deer hunting for quieter armadillo disposal. Either point of impact with 165 grain bullets at 1200 fps is greatly different at 20 - 30 yards or the bullet zipped through them without causing enough damage to kill immediately. The third attempt was with a standard velocity bullet which of course blew him apart.

I have been tinkering with an Ohaus 170 grain flat point mold and am going to try casting some from pure lead with some tin added and see how they do on armadillos. I’ve been using Trail Boss and shooting at barely supersonic velocity. Going to drop the charge down to subsonic to have a quieter armadillo killer that maybe won’t spook deer.

Anyone ever try this?
    It may be tough to get expansion due to the sectional density of the boolit. If you want to play around with it that is always fun but if you want guaranteed expansion without the work I have had good success with the Hornady .309XTP at subsonic velocities out of my .300BLK.
    Captured from water bottles, 964fps velocity:

Boolit Master

If not opposed to jacketed bullets, the Speer 110 grain HP M1 carbine bullet is also a fun one subsonic in my 300 BLK.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    74 Ford F-100 does a great job. No need to reload.
    Leaving our niece's home in Dallas last summer at 0500 hrs. we were just entering the downtown multi-lane snarl at about 60 mph, Cheryl was driving. I'm looking out the widow to the east when I feel the car (Subaru Legacy) suddenly swerve left. I immediately turn my head to look out the windshield and, lo and behold, there's this big, chubby armadillo crossing the highway. All of this happens in less than a second, of course, my first thought was "That looks like an arma-BOOM (car bounces up about two feet!)-dillo!" Fortunately, the car wasn't damaged, can't say for sure about the armadillo.........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

It's pretty hard on them even if you try to straddle one with a car.
    When frightened, they jump straight up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have a new dillo gun. 9mm Foxtrot Mike FM9 5" bbl pistol. Eats all the cast boolits it's been fed so far.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I have a new dillo gun. 9mm Foxtrot Mike FM9 5" bbl pistol. Eats all the cast boolits it's been fed so far.

That is one fine armadillo gun.
    I wonder if you factor the cost of the gun for all of the armadillos killed, but I guess the fun and cool factor has got to be factored in also

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    That is one fine armadillo gun.
    I wonder if you factor the cost of the gun for all of the armadillos killed, but I guess the fun and cool factor has got to be factored in also
    Thanks. Below is what I have been hoping to see when I started eradicating the dillos. Last week right by my house.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231230_075700.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	321830
    https://youtu.be/DUAlDnOdDpg?feature=shared
    Last edited by steve urquell; 01-07-2024 at 10:45 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast