RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Armadillo Hunting?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Don, if a .22 will work anything you have short of throwing rocks is likely to work!
    Yep! 22, rock, pointy stick. It’s actually quite amusing or shoot them with a 22 they pop up in the air like a carnival game!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    bird shot works up close

Boolit Master

How much does a dillo weight? They eat twice their weight in ticks every year.

I never weighed one, but about they're like picking up a average, grocery store, long-ish, green watermelon.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    How much does a dillo weight? They eat twice their weight in ticks every year.
    You are mistaking the armadillo for the possum. Armadillos do not eat ticks. There is a myth that possums eat ticks but that has been proven to be wrong.
    https://outdoor.wildlifeillinois.org...dont-eat-ticks
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I never weighed one, but about they're like picking up a average, grocery store, long-ish, green watermelon.
    Yes. In Arkansas they are getting huge. I would estimate my big ones to be up to 30lbs. I am guessing they have put on body fat up here to combat cold temps since they have no fur. I have seen them up here foraging in 20F temps in winter. I believe they have changed to tolerate cold weather. Fat insulation in lieu of fur.

.22LR on my big dillos is a joke unless you want to shoot them 15X. Last time I shot one with a .22LR was not humane. They are too big for that here. When I lived in TX the dillos were not this big.

In my 23years in the country they have grown in size greatly and are much more active in the cold that before. I fear they will only spread further North as their cold tolerance increases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Yes. In Arkansas they are getting huge. I would estimate my big ones to be up to 30lbs. I am guessing they have put on body fat up here to combat cold temps since they have no fur. I have seen them up here foraging in 20F temps in winter. I believe they have changed to tolerate cold weather. Fat insulation in lieu of fur.

.22LR on my big dillos is a joke unless you want to shoot them 15X. Last time I shot one with a .22LR was not humane. They are too big for that here. When I lived in TX the dillos were not this big.

In my 23years in the country they have grown in size greatly and are much more active in the cold that before. I fear they will only spread further North as their cold tolerance increases.
    Years ago I did see what was likely a 30 lb armadillo in Mississippi. The local ones are a lot smaller here in coastal NW Florida. They were originally on the border with texas and mexico and they get some spells there and so likely there are genes they picked up to deal with cold weather.
    They go after yellow jacket colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Years ago I did see what was likely a 30 lb armadillo in Mississippi. The local ones are a lot smaller here in coastal NW Florida. They were originally on the border with texas and mexico and they get some spells there and so likely there are genes they picked up to deal with cold weather.
    They go after yellow jacket colonies.
    I killed 2 awhile back that were on my porch. One was so huge it had more body hanging off each side of my flat bladed shovel that on it. As big around as a basketball. I carried it 70yds to one of my hollers to dump dropping it off the shovel 12X at least. My forearms, wrists and shoulders were killing me for a week.

After that I just get my little tractor and haul them in the loader bucket. Too big and heavy to carry off in the shovel. If I recall correctly when I was in Houston the dillos seemed to be about as big around as a 2-liter bottle.

Boolit Master

Normally I let things be unless I'm going to eat it. But, just the expression on my wife's face upon viewing the destruction of her rose garden gets me out at 2am with headlamp and shotgun......and I don't like being up at 2am
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Here in mid-Missouri we are having a problem with armadillos digging up everything and getting jammed in farm machinery when cutting hay, and combining. I keep a 20 gauge shotgun by the door loaded with 3/4 ounce number 6's for the squirrel problem in our pecan trees in the yard and eating all the wiring out of our cars. So, my question is, what does it take to kill these armadillos, usually at a close range? Will the shotgun do it? Or will I have to resort to my deer rifle? (45-70 with 300 grain RCBS cast projectiles)
    A 20 gauge with number 6’s will do wonders as far as clearing out your armadillo problem, as others have stated and from personal experience.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The local ones are a lot smaller here in coastal NW Florida. They were originally on the border with texas and mexico
    They had a little help getting to Louisiana and Florida.

During WWII, my Mom was about 10-14, and some older brothers and BILs were on active duty.
    Admiral Nimitz was from Fredericksburg, in the Texas Hill Country. Right down the road from where Mom grew up.

One BIL was on Adm. Nimitz's Staff. Getting leave during the war was almost impossible.
    As luck would have it: The Admiral was based out of Florida for awhile back then.
    Her BIL was assigned 10 days or so leave by the Admiral to go back to the Hill Country
    and bring back a couple of armadillos,,,,, to remind him of home.

Mom remembers herself and the other younger brothers & sisters chasing them around for a week.
    They finally caught 3 and put them inside a wooden cage in BIL's car trunk.

They stopped for gas and checked on them near Monroe, LA...... Yep-- The cage was smashed.
    That's when & where the pregnant one jumped out.
    They got the other two back to Florida.
    Admiral Nimitz turned them loose in his yard,,,, and it didn't take them long to dig out of there too.

I don't think they swim unless they have to or get thrown into the water--
    The Mississippi River would have been a natural barrier for them going East if they hadn't had a little help crossing it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-12-2024 at 04:03 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I heard a story when I was young (in Fla.) that some got away from a traveling circus when one of their trucks wrecked. -06

Boolit Man
    I read somewhere that if the temp remains below freezing for two weeks, it will wipe them out. They hole up when the ground freezes and can't forage for food. I would love to see them wiped out in my area.

Devon, that is why then tend to dig burrows near or under the foundation - to keep warm. Food freeze? Nope.
    Whatever!

Guy across the road makes dildo live traps, and has signs out on his fence on the interstate, selling them. We have a few of the critters around, they dig up everything. Most folks here just use a 22 with a mag light mounted to the barrel and co-witnessed.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Have whacked more that a few with .22 BB caps. One shot, flop. Shorts work well also.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

I used. 22 cee bees here at the house and motion sensors to detect their movement. I caught everything else including a skunk in a live trap before I put it back up.

Once I let my chickens free range, they stopped coming up into the yard. The chickens eat everything they come out of the woods for, problem solved. Then you become a predator hunter as everything that eats meat, like the way chickens taste.

Boolit Mold
    We are seeing them in Western Kentucky as well.

Boolit Bub
    We have them in Southwest Georgia too.

Busted one last night with the new AR9. MP molds 128gr HP/PC loaded subsonic over TiteWad. Quiet and accurate. Entry just above the head from the front between shoulderblades, exited beside the tail for an end to end pass-thru. I doubt it expanded. A humane instant kill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dilla killa.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	322677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dilla killa boolit.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	322678

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast