Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Swedish mauser load suggestions?

Boolit Buddy

Swedish mauser load suggestions?

Using a lee 140 gr cast 266-40-RF. Prefer using Unique. I'm assuming somewhere around 10-14 grs? Thoughts?
    Any other powder suggestions?

Thanks!

I've used a lot of 2400 in a 6.5, I'll have to check, but ~15 grains seems to be the number I remember as working well.

I've used the Lee 170 grain boolit and 2 different Lyman boolits, both lighter 130-140 grain, I think.

Boolit Grand Master

With the 140 gr 268469 cast bullet in my 6.5 Swedes I've found 10 gr of Alliant Unique to be a very good load. I use fire formed NS'd cases which have the flash holes drilled out. Velocity runs 1450 - 1500 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the replies! I don't own any 2400. A few powders that I have that may be worth discussing is H4350, IMR4198, Re 7, varget and H4831sc.

My Lyman book has a load for 140 cast that list "RX7". Is that the same as Reloder 7?

I also should point out that these will be gas checked.
    Last edited by Jayhawkhuntclub; 09-21-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Yes,
    RX7 is Reloader 7

It's a 1.5" square. Aperture rear sight. I pulled the flyer. 266673 is GC 150gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RL7.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	318168

Boolit Master

We can't have a thread on Swedish Mausers without pictures!

That's 5 rds @ 50 yds. I also use Unique with 140-150gr from 10.5grs. This is where accuracy lives. Seat bullet to touch the rifling. Mild Lee crimp. These are my rifles. There are others like them but these are mine.

Next week these will be going to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    We can't have a thread on Swedish Mausers without pictures!

That's 5 rds @ 50 yds. I also use Unique with 140-150gr from 10.5grs. This is where accuracy lives. Seat bullet to touch the rifling. Mild Lee crimp. These are my rifles. There are others like them but these are mine.

Next week these will be going to the range.

Ok! Your group is smaller, but you cheat by using scopes. Damn fine group though. What brass are you using?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    Ok! Your group is smaller, but you cheat by using scopes. Damn fine group though. What brass are you using?
    Swedish military brass pull down from m/12 kammerpatroner.

I use that big honkin' scope on my m/38 to eliminate error. At 10x and 50 yds I can watch a fly walk across the X on the target. That shows me exactly what the ammo is capable of shooting. With iron sights you have too much error to assess accuracy potential. I'm not competing against anyone except myself. The rifle shoots the same with or without a scope. The long eye relief scopes are not anything near as good as the receiver mounted scopes but don't require mods to the rifle.

Got lots of primed brass. Case was sealed in 1963. Brass is once-fired prior to re-loading as m/12.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've used a lot of 2400 in a 6.5, I'll have to check, but ~15 grains seems to be the number I remember as working well.

I've used the Lee 170 grain boolit and 2 different Lyman boolits, both lighter 130-140 grain, I think.
    what lee bullet?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    what lee bullet?
    The Lee 170 gr is the one on the far left in my original post. There are TWO versions of this bullet.

1- original correctly dimensioned available at Gardner's Cache. I don't believe this mold is available anywhere.
    2- the two cavity mold from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Oversize grossly oversize for 6.5mm and a waste of $$$ IMO.

I see Gardner's is selling only powder coated cast bullets...
    http://gardnerscache.com/6_5mm_170_fp_g_c_1.html

Boolit Master

Mr. Dutchman,

What is the forward scope mount? Is it something you machined yourself?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Mr. Dutchman,

What is the forward scope mount? Is it something you machined yourself?
    About 2009 or thereabouts I made up a bunch of these and some for other rifles as well. Not making any more but see below....

Badace makes one very close to what mine looked like and I had email with the owner and he sent me a few of his mounts. His is only .100" taller than mine but is longer for better scope placement. I recommend the Badace for the Swede.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...er-scout-mount

Boolit Grand Master

A few years back i did a lot, and I mean a lot, of HV testing of the 6.5x55 with cast bullets. All is well documented in previous threads. My goal was to find a load that would be 2000+ fps, maintain consistent 2 moa accuracy or less with 10 shot groups at 100 yards and hold linear group dispersion to 200 yards withe same 10 shot groups. I never achieved that as at 2000 fps the 6.5x55 in milsurp barrels is considerably above the RPM Threshold. However, I did achieve a very usable load for hunting deer, pigs, etc., if one desires to do so. I used the 6.5 Kurtz bullet [3rd group buy mould]. The bullet is a very good one in Loverin style with a meplat nose. These results are repeatable time and again. Here is one such on target results with the 100 yard group at 1.335" in the upper right corner and the 200 yard group at 5.75" on the lower half of the target;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100 & 200.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	318335
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla