Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Glock Gen5

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Glock Gen5

Yesterday I shot the grandson's Glock Gen5. While I still don't like Glocks, this was such a far cry from the early pieces of drek, I was totally taken aback. I guess now I have to quit knocking Glocks, at least the Gen5.
    Fortunately, there is still the 41 mag and 6.5 creedmoor and owners thereof, that I can dump on so all is not lost.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I have the same "problem". I used to have a Glock 22 gen 3(?) 20+ years ago. My german shepherd used to fetch it from bushes when I threw it awsy, I then continued shooting. Absolutely reliable,both the gun and the dog.

But. I do not "LIKE" Glocks, I like 1911.

I'm shopping for a 9mm right now and a gen5 Glock would make sense. But the grip angle needs new training... a Sig 320 might be an option but I don't need the modularity and I feel it's a cheapo Sig, having owned a P226.

I will post a new thread about ZEV. Glock 19 may still win...

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when Glocks first came out. They were touted as 'the perfect design". Now we've got the 5th generation........maybe they'll get it right someday..... Shot a lot of Glocks, never owned one, never wanted to own one. I do consider them a good "throw away" though......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I enjoy them. My dad had a second generation 17 that I HATED shooting as a kid. So I was fairly sour on them, and was a big BHP and 59 series Smith and Wesson enthusiast. Then my buddy at the FFL said he had an oddball that I would like. It was a swat trade in Glock 35. I was reluctant, but he handed me some mags and ammo and said go try it. Bought the darn thing. Since then I have picked up a Model 20, model 21, 5th Gen 22, and a Model 40 MOS and now my wife surprised me with a Gen 1 17 for our 1st anniversary. I still prefer them over a Beretta.

Boolit Master

Been a Glock armorer for about 20 years now. I'm a HUGE fan of the Gen 5.

The 9mm's were pretty much always indestructible, but the .40 Swindle and Whitewash caused EVERYBODY a lot of problems stemming from that fact that, while it would FIT in a 9mm-sized magazine, you couldn't run it long-term in a 9mm-engineered pistol without breaking stuff.

Everybody designed their various "Band Aids" to deal with the .40 before ultimately giving up on the round when conventional wisdom finally caught up with ballistic science and we realized that kind of pounding wasn't necessary. The Gen 4 was Glock's Band Aid on the .40 that grew out of what that round was wearing out on the Gen 3.

The Gen 5 was never intended to be a .40 (the .40 version only exists because of demand from foreign police markets that are disallowed the "military" 9x19, and they very wisely put heavier, G21 thickness slides on them), but they DID incorporate some very clever redesign to keep the firing pin and firing pin safety from chewing on each other under the heavier recoil, which was a major wear point I saw on the Gen 3 .40's, and was seeing the beginnings of at the point we moved out of the Gen 4 .40 into the Gen 5 9mm.

So basically the Gen 5 9mm is nearly a .40-rated gun that will never see .40. And it's EVEN EASIER to get apart for service than the G3 and G4. I'm thinking we'll be running them a LOOOOONG time.

As to the grip angle that everybody seems to complain about: 1. It's basically a 1911-A1 with the arched mainspring housing, which if you shoot with a locked wrist and elbow is pretty much perfect - and causes a gun with a flat backstrap to point at the ground (See WWI-era 1911 and Soviet Tokarev); 2. No matter what you do with a grip, hand variations will exist. This is what sights are for - to reference how your arm is supposed to point the gun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    When my family asks what to carry, I say a double action revolver. If that’s not what they want to hear, I say Glock. Glocks are ugly, but that won’t matter when you’re the one still living.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love my early gen. 5 19, and it eats boolits all day long!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Deleted.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

It's what you try, my first gun was a 1911 in 45, my second gun was a g17 3rd gen, which I shot more than 30,000 bullets.
    Even if I want to adapt to another pistol, the Glock is already an extension of my hand
    Last edited by nueces5; 10-01-2023 at 06:22 AM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    When my family asks what to carry, I say a double action revolver. If that’s not what they want to hear, I say Glock. Glocks are ugly, but that won’t matter when you’re the one still living.
    you understood everything

Boolit Master

My history with glocks ain’t love at first sight, it kinda grow on you.
    Now I have a dozen or so…including several I built myself.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I remember when Glocks first came out. They were touted as 'the perfect design". Now we've got the 5th generation........maybe they'll get it right someday..... Shot a lot of Glocks, never owned one, never wanted to own one. I do consider them a good "throw away" though......
    I regard Glocks as the AK-47 of handguns. They normally work very well, and are generally very durable. If I have to use one in a social encounter and it is locked away in an evidence locker for years, it won't really bother me like it would if it were a prized 1911/High Power/CZ-75/S&W revolver. If it does bother me, I can replace it for $600.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 10-01-2023 at 12:25 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I regard Glocks as the AK-47 of handguns. They normally work very well, and are generally very durable. If I have to use one in a social encounter and it is locked away in an evidence locker for years, it won't really bother me like it would if it were a prized 1911/High Power/CZ-75/S&W revolver. If it does bother me, I can replace it for $600.
    This 100%! Remember, things get "lost" in evidence all the time.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Never wanted a Glock. I was looking for a small 9mm with more capacity than my J Frame Smith Model 36. I was at the gun shop one day and one of the fellows handed me Glock 26 Gen 5. Fit what I was looking for so I thought "why not?" - instead of listening to all the anti Glock remarks - try one and at least you'll have a "Glock experience" to judge for yourself. I bought it, tried it and have never regretted it. Eats all of my reloads - shoots and functions well and have never had an issue with it. Pretty? Maybe not - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess - to each their own. For me - no regrets at all.

Boolit Master

My first Glock was a Gen II, and I now own Glocks in GEN 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Right out of the box,.... load'em up and they work,...and they work...and they work!

If the need arouse, you could completely disassembly a Glock with a small nail or a piece of metal coat-hanger. No tools needed.

Glock magazines usually cost half the price or less than other brands, and Glocks pistols are usually much less in price than others.

After some practice, the Glock trigger can be mastered just like anything else,.....bicycles really sucked the first time you rode one....but after practice you mastered the technique!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Glock magazines usually cost half the price or less than other brands, and Glocks pistols are usually much less in price than others.
    Hee! Yeah. The mags. They are cheap, nearly indestructible, and work really well. The Mag Pul P-Mags for the Glocks are EVEN CHEAPER, seem to be equally indestructible, and also work really well. I'll occasionally razz guys that choose to carry "other" with something along the lines of "There's nothing quite as distinctive as the sound of an eighty dollar magazine hitting concrete during a reload".

Another thing I like on the Glocks is the sights. Somehow, amazingly, it seems that Glock successfully got their dovetail specs out to the entire aftermarket industry, and somehow, amazingly, the entire aftermarket industry seems to be able to produce rear sights correctly so that they drift right in without the need to apply calibers, files and stones first. The front sights with their socket and screw - provided you degrease with acetone and apply a little blue loctite - are equally grief-free.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like a few others, I was a big 1911 fan and carried them for years.

Now, I carry a Gen 4 Glock or Kahr CW9.

I still shoot the 1911's better but not that much better. With more than twice the capacity than a 1911, Glocks offer an advantage that makes up for the lesser accuracy.

I have been contemplating the SIG 365. I prefer carry guns that do not have a manual safety or decocker.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Hee! Yeah. The mags. They are cheap, nearly indestructible, and work really well. The Mag Pul P-Mags for the Glocks are EVEN CHEAPER, seem to be equally indestructible, and also work really well. I'll occasionally razz guys that choose to carry "other" with something along the lines of "There's nothing quite as distinctive as the sound of an eighty dollar magazine hitting concrete during a reload".

Another thing I like on the Glocks is the sights. Somehow, amazingly, it seems that Glock successfully got their dovetail specs out to the entire aftermarket industry, and somehow, amazingly, the entire aftermarket industry seems to be able to produce rear sights correctly so that they drift right in without the need to apply calibers, files and stones first. The front sights with their socket and screw - provided you degrease with acetone and apply a little blue loctite - are equally grief-free.
    This 100%. Glock just sticks to what it does best and refines it over time. I can't stand it when a maker finally gets the bugs out of a gun and it's doing great, then they throw it overboard in favor of something completely different with more years worth of bugs to get out and in the end the new gun is no better than what they had before. Yeah, I'm talkin' to you Ruger!

Boolit Master

Many gripe about Glock plastic sights, but do they know that the front sight has a steel screw that is in the center of the sight? You will have a hard time breaking that screw. And the front and rear sights are not made out of some toy plastic that breaks or shatters, but are of a very tough synthetic that is very durable. The rear sight also has a piece of metal in its base. The GEN I and GEN II front sight could be pulled off with a pair of pliers, but the GEN III and later pistols have the steel screw attachment.

Glocks can easily be zeroed to proper elevation by changing rear rear sights,...they come in 6.1mm, 6.5mm, 6.9mm and 7.3mm heights. Each sight changes impact approximately 2 inches @ 25 yards, depending on the sight radius. The rear sights run about $10 a piece, and they are also windage adjustable.

I once owned a new Colt 1911 Series 70, and after a couple hundred rounds, the metal front sight flew off, "gone with the wind!" It was staked in the slide, and couldn't stand the strain!

Those were truly junk sights!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting