Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Walker Reproductions?

Boolit Bub

Colt Walker Reproductions?

Hi Guys,

Saw a Cimarron Colt Walker reproduction at a local show yesterday that piqued my interest. What should I look out for in one of these?

Vendor Sponsor

The loading lever falling down at every shot!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    That seems problematic

Boolit Master
    Somebody out there is selling a little sheet metal gizzy that looks like a double “c”. Sorta like, cC - the big clip goes over the barrel and the small one holds the rammer lever. Looks like a pretty ingenious solution to an age old problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Saw a Cimarron Colt Walker reproduction at a local show yesterday that piqued my interest. What should I look out for in one of these?
    A gunbearer to carry it for you.

They were known as horse pistols in the eighteenth century for a reason.

My ASM replica also dropped the loading lever quite frequently.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have an earlier reproduction and I can tell you that they are heavy as he**. Falling rammers is a common fault. I use rubber bands, but a "C clip" holder is a great idea and would be easy to make. Believe it though when they call them hand cannons! BTW you want a .454 RB for them and not the usual .445.

Vendor Sponsor

I have never been even close to an original Colt Walker much less shot one, BUT, Colt must have had a better retaining notch than the repo's! The Texan's could never have used them to any effect if they had to say "time out" my loading lever fell down!
    Chill Wills

I think the dropping lever was common back then too. They used a leather strap to hold them up.
    Even pausing to latch it was better than a single shot pistol!
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master

loading lever fix ---Dragoon

Boolit Buddy
    If you're gonna go with one there are several things to consider, any new Walkers are made by Uberti, regardless of who imported them. It's very important to fix the short arbor problem so the pistol doesn't try to self destruct. Uberti internal parts are neatly fitted and finished, it's like they started to tune the gun and stopped halfway through. The loading lever problem can be fixed with a few strokes of a file in the right place. I have fixed a few of them and I have 2 ASM Walkers that don't drop the lever and are tuned. Both are great shooters. Yes they are big heavy guns but you get 6 shots of basically a 45 rifle load in one gun. They are capable of 60 grns of powder per hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Suspenders.......wide and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Suspenders.......wide and strong!
    Kinda like a long cylinder BFR!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    loading lever fix ---Dragoon
    Go full tilt or even close ....... the ASM I have will drop it too . Usually about the 3rd or 4th shot .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit1957 View Post
    If you're gonna go with one there are several things to consider, any new Walkers are made by Uberti, regardless of who imported them. It's very important to fix the short arbor problem so the pistol doesn't try to self destruct. Uberti internal parts are neatly fitted and finished, it's like they started to tune the gun and stopped halfway through. The loading lever problem can be fixed with a few strokes of a file in the right place. I have fixed a few of them and I have 2 ASM Walkers that don't drop the lever and are tuned. Both are great shooters. Yes they are big heavy guns but you get 6 shots of basically a 45 rifle load in one gun. They are capable of 60 grns of powder per hole.
    Yes, the same thing I ran into. A friend bought a new Uberti one and ut wouldn't even work out of the box. I made a shim for the arbor, fitted the wedge, slicked up the internals a bit, and it turned out to be a very nice, accurate revolver. They are worth having but should be looked at as more of a kit than something usable right out of the box.

get the second model, falling loading lever fixed and barrel shortened, along with better cylinder locking notches, i love mine. i have a first model too, but i fire it very little.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys! You all are the best! Now to actually find one.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I picked up a Uberti Walker from a fellow that was unfired NIB a few years back. It was just fine out of the box - crisp clean action, etc. A big change from the '51 Navies I've been shooting for 60 years. I knew about the dropping loading lever issues before I got it - I sold it to a fellow who wanted it before I had a chance to shoot it. I then bought a 3rd Model Dragoon - IMHO a great revolver - still a heavy .44 like a Walker but with marked improvements.

The Walker is truly interesting historical though - years ago, I had the chance to handle an original one that was privately owned. A big improvement over a single shot pistol, but what a heavy hunk of iron - even if in a saddle holster.

Try something like the Lyman #45266 or the RCBS #45-225-CAV and see if the longer recoil impulse will keep your lever up. It worked that way with my Uberti and made me wonder if maybe the original bullets for the Walker and the necessarily reduced powder charge mite have done the same in the Colt made revolvers.

Boolit Master
    One winter, I was firing my Uberti Walker at the range, and it was setting off car alarms. It also knocked the snow off the metal roof at the range. One guy came over to see what was making all the noise.
    We went to the James Julia auction in Maine once, and they had an original Walker for sale. They let us handle it, gloveless. I have some pics somewhere. I think it sold for $700,000, or thereabouts.
    Didn't Gus carry one in Lonesome Dove?
    I used a leather loop to keep the lever up.

Boolit Master
    The spring that holds the loading lever in place has a notch in it. The base of the notch needs to be squared up. One or two strokes with a fine toothed file should do it. Do NOT overdo the filing or the loading lever will never come down, even when you try to pull it.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast