Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Fodder for .303 Martini...

Boolit Mold

Fodder for .303 Martini...

Came upon some vintage .303 marked 'FN 66', it's Berdan primed but I think (hope) it's non corrosive....Price was right and it came home with me anyway, just need to know which way to go about cleaning afterwards.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Much of the FN ammo remained corrosive well into the 1960s. Much being imported came back from the Middle East where it was stored in poor conditions so you may get some hangfires and misfires. If it all goes bang consider it a victory and clean for corrosive.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I probably had some from the same importer .......174gr boat tail bullets and ball powder ......I dont know if it was corrosive or not ...as I am in the habit of properly cleaning rifles straight after firing.using hot water ..........anyhoo ,it shot very well in my repaired Ross DP and my Martini Enfield with new Lithgow H barrel................It had been in my safe for 20 years when I fired it........worked perfectly .........unlike some other surplus I had as well ..RG 56 .
    Last edited by john.k; 09-18-2023 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you think its corrosive ,then hot water through the bore is the approved cleaning method ........this is especially the case if you live in a humid climate..........make an offset funnel with a bit of copper tube and a cartridge case ........this setup is also essential for blackpowder

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Ballistol is another method.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Ballistol is another method.
    I have always used the funnel and hot water flush, followed by Ed's Red and never had any rust.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

My understanding is the Brits NEVER made a non-corrosive service round through the entire period the .303 was being used. Treat it like corrosive.

If you're taking a thermos of hot water to the range, one of those flexible plastic automotive funnels intended for snaking down into an engine compartment to add transmission fluid is a decent substitute for the old metal "trench funnels". I've taken to mixing up Ballistol/water "moose milk" and keeping it in a spray bottle for "at the range" corrosive and BP chores. Simplifies matters a little as it handles both your neutralization and oil barrier tasks.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Is your Martini an re done carbine. I have one marked Enfield Martini. It is alot of fun.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Mold
    It's a Platypus Martini! Action is marked 1885 Enfield/VR on one side, 1895 Enfield .303/VR on the other. Barrel was a sewer pipe, replaced it with Mk.III No.1 barrel and fore end. Have a great Pattern 17 bayo to hang on it too.
    Need to reload some more cast loads for it, will use the hot water bath and where can I get Ballistol??

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Gebo's carry's Ballistol. Midway arms, if you do not mind ordering it.

Your markings show the rifle was an arsenal refit.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    I have never worried about expensive cleaners ........if I was shooting corrosive ,then I would use boiling water and oil the bore while hot ........if non corrosive (I havent had any corrosive since 20 years now) then I just oil the bore after shooting .........Incidentally,because I use thick oil ,I always store guns muzzle down .........this is also a wise precaution here as there are 50 different kinds of insects that build nests in barrels.

Photos. You know what we say about photos.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Brownells is also a source for Ballistol.

I have REALLY been coming to like the stuff when it comes to wiping down for long-term storage - that it also works on wood, leather, and neutralizing corrosive propellant agents and is non-toxic just adds bonus points.

I recently shot off some '53-dated '06 through my M1 and spray-bottled the Moose Milk Ballistol/Water mix down the still-hot barrel, which instantly negated the need to figure out how to bring boiling hot water to the range! A little hiss and sputter and leave soak on the way home as prep for the real cleaning - worked great!

What I REALLY need to do is run some side-by-side comparing undiluted Ballistol as a lube / CLP against my known quantity Break Free - ESPECIALLY in the bolt carriers of AR-15's. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.