WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 and Red Dot

Boolit Master

357 and Red Dot

Hey there folks. I am struggling with finding a Red Dot load for 357 Magnum. My books have nothing. I realize I’m prolly not going to achieve top velocities, just looking for a little warmer loads than my 2.8 grains of Red Dot in 38 Special! I’ll be shooting a 155 grain boolit. These will be for a Ruger Security Six and a Henry Big Boy.

Boolit Master
    For my Security Six and 1894C it's had to beat Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr. under any boolit 120 ~ 160 gr. Look up Skeeter Skelton articles.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    For my Security Six and 1894C it's had to beat Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr. under any boolit 120 ~ 160 gr. Look up Skeeter Skelton articles.
    What he said. For an even milder load a 158 grain boolit with 4.5 of red dot/promo has worked well for me.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Thank you gents! I was thinking 4.5 to 4.8 was the range I should be in, but could not confirm it. Thank you for sharing experience and the link with data!

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 to what Ed said. I shot several thousand 358-477 boolits over 5.0 Red Dot through various .357 revolvers. Accurate and with enough extra oomph to simulate a stout +p load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    The Security Sixes have, from what I've read, a tendency to shoot loose with a steady diet of 357. With a 4.5-5.0 grain load of Red Dot, do I need to worry? This is my first 357, if you couldn't tell.

Boolit Master
    My old (1995) Alliant handout lists 5.5 gr under a 158 LSWC as max.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    The Security Sixes have, from what I've read, a tendency to shoot loose with a steady diet of 357. With a 4.5-5.0 grain load of Red Dot, do I need to worry? This is my first 357, if you couldn't tell.
    Don't know where you read that but the Rugers stood up to the U.S. Customs and INS testing much better than the K-frame S&W"s did. They may be a smidge weaker than the GP 100's, but you'd have to shoot a wheel barrow full of ammo to prove it. I had the opportunity once to examine a 6" Stainless Security Six that had been in service at an indoor range for over three years. The forcing cone had been worn smooth, and there was some end shake, but that was after lord only knows how many thousands of rounds. You will likely run low on primers, powder and money before you wear out that gun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

one of Skeeter Skelton's favorite .357 loads was 5.0 grs. red dot in .38 spec. cases under as 158gr, gc lead wad cutter - shot many in my 4" security six very accurately with no ill effects or wear ever -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Loaded up 50 at 4.8 grains and 50 at 5 grains! Thanks folks!

Boolit Grand Master

From one of my older manuals with lots of Red Dot loads .
    357 Magnum - 155 gr. cast SWC w/ GC (Lyman #358156)

start load 5.0 grs. Red Dot @ 992 fps .

Maximum Load - 5.7 grs. Red Dot @ 1095 fps .

My pet load for my Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum
    is 5.3 grs. Red Dot @ 1043 fps with the 155 gr. boolit w/ GC and sized .357" .
    These are loaded in 357 magnum cases and crimped in the upper crimp groove .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

What I consider the last year of the "great" reloading manuals put out by Alliant. The 2005 Alliant reloading manual.
    http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...liant_2005.pdf

The next manual they put out (2008) used limited data/limited powder, only speer bullets & no pressure reports for max loads.

That 2005 manual will have reddot loads for the 357mag.

My best Red Dot load for .357mag hands down was 4.6 grains of Red Dot under a round nose 158 gr cast, no gas check. Lubed with BLL and with CCI primers.

Round was more accurate than I could hold it.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Have to agree with rintinglen. That is a myth. The Security Six is basically a double action 357 BH frame and is stout as hades. Mine has had a lot of full 35,000 psi (psi measured; 14.5 gr 2400 under a 358156) magnum loads through it over the years and has yet to show any sign of loosening up. It still locks up tight as when new. Using 5 gr of RD under a 150 - 160 gr bullet will not phase the Security Six.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I have had repeated success with 5.0 grains Red Dot in .357 with 158 grain bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Budget Shooter View Post
    I have had repeated success with 5.0 grains Red Dot in .357 with 158 grain bullets.
    Yes...I too like this. Except mine are what I consider 38/44 loads. a dual crimp groove 158, seated long in 38+p cases (just so there is No Question these are Not for my .38's)

Boolit Master
    Shot them today and I love this load! Stiff but not uncomfortable and I could keep a fist sized group at 10 yards.

Moderator Emeritus

I will worry about that after the second hundred thousand rounds, not after the first.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It's gonna get a steady diet of the 5 grain load. And for a loooong time to come. This things is too much fun and looks just right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast