RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Star reloading press

Star reloading press

I have seen here and there those Star presses for sale. Usually pistol calibers. And I was wondering how easy is to reload with them. I watched few videos and it look to me that they are just like my Dillon 550B which I love. The 550B is simple and so easy to work with.
    For some reason I so want to buy one but not sure if any die will fit in and how easy is to find parts in case something happen.
    I can't explain why I'm so attracted to the Star loader but I have to make sure I won't spend 300-400$ for a machine that doesn't work.
    Anyone has them who can give some info about.
    Thank you

Boolit Master

they are pistol calibers because they were used by police departments to load ammo back in the day. they work great, you can get an indexer and a jacket feed. parts are still available, in fact you could buy the parts to make a new one. that being said if i needed another press i would probably go with another dillon, dont get me wrong i like my star but overall the dillon 650 is much more versatile
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    They are good machines and not much will break on them. Love the primer system as it is very reliable and seats the primer on the downstroke without needing "feel".

Not a good choice if you want to change calibers and if you do, you want the "Universal" model.

IMO you are better off with another Dillon 550 if you do not mind manually indexing.

I started using them 50+ years ago when my mentor let me reload on his, and had one in .38 Spl for about 10 years. I was shooting a lot of .38 and got a 1050 so the Star sat idle until I sold it. It is a lot of money of a one caliber machine.
    Don Verna

That's the thing;...almost every single one you will even encounter is in .38spl.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

I love my 550B. Manual indexing is therapeutically relaxing. I was thinking to replace it with the newer C model but I'm not sure the C will give me enough over B model for the extra money I'll have to spend.
    I was attracted towards a Star in .38 spl only as I could have it set to a certain bullet an charge and forget about messing with it. But y'all are right as 550 I have is already paid for and changing calibers is very easy. Even if I'll find a good deal on a Star I'll still keep the 550B.

Me, I went with a Holly wood universal twelve station If manual Indexing Is your thing , This is what you want! Brush up on your math.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    Big Star fan so I am biased. I have dies/plates in 38/357, 45LC, 41mag, 9mm, 32L/Mag/.327mag, 45acp, 44SPC/Mag and 40/10mm (may be forgetting one/some).

They are very durable and simple, which is what appeals to me. They do take their own size dies, and you'll need a shell plate which fits the cartridge you are doing.

There are some out there in .223 (don't have that set up) and 30 carbine (no to that one also as I don't shoot much of that).

If they appeal to you, I would read up and watch for one locally when they come up. Nice to be able to inspect it and save on the shipping cost as they are a bit heavy.

Star Machine Works is out there under new ownership and can help you with most of your parts needs and questions.

Do learn the difference between the Progressive and Universal (I still get it backwards). IIRC Progressive will do only the cartridge as it left the factory, usually 38 but some in 45 and 9mm I think are out there. Universal will let you do the cartridges I listed above as well as some others (38 Super I think is an option and I'm sure others but I'm not into those). If you want to be able to change calibers you need one with the metal cartridge retaining clips around the base of the press. If it doesn't have those, then it is a single caliber press. I have a 38/357 like that and am fine with it as I shoot a lot of those rounds.

PM or email me if you have any questions which I may be able to answer for ya.

Boolit Master
    The Star powder drop setup is about the best for small loads of powder. Your right hand stays on the press handle and the left seats the bullet and places the case. The finished round drops through a hole to a container under the benchtop. You'll need to by a powder dump to empty the powder magazine or hassle with any number of strategies to empty it. Only star dies fit. Caliber changes cost a bunch. I wouldn't trade mine. If somebody said the magic number it would be gone and I'd buy a few caliber changes for my dillon

Thank y'all for the input. I'll keep an eye for a Star in .38 with no missing parts and ready to roll. The 550 is here to stay though.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Star Progressive, the 38 Spl only version as opposed to the Universal that has interchangeable tool heads and shell plates and can load just about anything. Unfortunately I got it after my PPC days, so it hasn’t seen much use even though it’s in about perfect shape with the case feeder upgrade and all.

It’s neat for somebody loading a lot of 38s, which explains their popularity in Police Departments back in the day when revolvers were king. I have toyed with selling mine, but can’t quite bring myself to let it go, even though it’s just sitting there collecting dust.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    The STAR machine is the Cadillac of hobby reloaders.
    More than a few commercial loaders used these "back in the day" including yours truly.
    There was an aftermarket automated system for the STAR that was a thing of beauty when it was running right !

DITTO to ohen cepel's comments.

If you only want to load .38 Special or other 38 rimmed like .357 MAG, 38 S&W or even 38ACP/SUPER then the STAR Progressive is good.
    If you want to switch calibers from rimmed to rimless then look for a Universal model.

Yes, the STAR can be expensive and caliber changes are pricey.

But, with a little care and maintenance you can pass it down to your grandchildren.

Check out EBay Auctions for current prices. If you keep an eye open for them at Fun Shows or local Advertisers they can be sometimes obtained cheaply.

I picked up a STAR Progressive a few years ago for less than $200. A little work and a few new parts it was up and loading again.

Have been using these wonderful machines for almost 50 years . Have used/owned various Dillons, CAMDEX and Ammo Load machines too.
    I always go back to the STAR.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Star Universal that stays set up for 38 Special wadcutters. I also have the complete changeover for 45 ACP, but have only used it once. I shoot more 38 wadcutters than anything else through both pistol and rifle, have a H&G 6 cavity to cast the bullets, and love my Star for loading them with 2.7 grs of Bullseye. I really couldn't ask for a better machine to throw the small powder charge, but please note a suggestion I make in the bottom paragraph.

I also have 3 Dillon 550b machines and will always have at least 2 (small primer / large primer). The Dillons are way more versatile, much easier to do changeovers, and use all standard dies. I know that I don't 'need' the Star, but it serves a specific purpose and is a mechanical joy to use. But, I would not go looking to buy one if I didn't already have it here on the shelf. The Dillons are really good machines. Have you thought about buying a second Dillon and a micro powder slide? I don't like to say it, but it might be the way to go.