RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about straight wall reloading 45LC and 357 mag

Spend the money on a Taper Crimp or Profile Crimp die set. Seat as a separate stage, then taper or profile crimp only until the case mouth is straight.
    High pressure rounds, Ruger Only, causes case length growth. Case length growth due to pressure is very uneven. But the roll crimp die setting on your press, is in effec head-spacing off the case mouth! Bulging the case only on the over length cases, per your die setting, not the book trim to or the gun's chamber.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

As others have said, a case to long will cause inconsistent crimping. Make sure the cases are at least in between trim to length and max case oal (typically .010 difference between the two). Then make sure you are not overcrimping causing a bulge.

Boolit Grand Master
    For my straight side revolver cartridges I like to finish up by passing each round through a Lee factory crimp die. As my last step I drop each round into a cartridge checker. I use ones from Dillon, Midway, and Lyman… all work equally well. When I follow this procedure I never have a problem with sticky rounds. When I don’t because I’m in a hurry, well sometimes things don’t go as well.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12