WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priming Tool Recommendation

Priming Tool Recommendation

Hello Folks,

I'm getting tired of priming hundreds of cases every month with a hand priming tool. I'm looking for recommendations on bench-mounted priming tools.

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master

RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool.
    I have tried a lot of different priming tools in my 50+ years of reloading.
    This one is the best by far in my opinion.

I've got the RCBS, other than the primer tube moving back and forth, I like it alot.

I've used two versions of Lee hand primers, an RCBS hand primer, Lee ram prime(piece of junk) and several iterations of on-press dohickies.

I'll stick with the RCBS Bench Primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool.
    I have tried a lot of different priming tools in my 50+ years of reloading.
    This one is the best by far in my opinion.
    Plus another for the RCBS......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I still use a round tray LEE. I load at the range/match often, so a handheld is it. Plus I hate picking one primer at a time. so I have kept the old LEE going.

Boolit Master
    RCBS universal bench primer.

I bet there is one for sale right here https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...e-powder-drops

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hello Folks,

I'm getting tired of priming hundreds of cases every month with a hand priming tool. I'm looking for recommendations on bench-mounted priming tools.

Thanks, Tom
    Yours is not the first query vis what to purchase. Do a search on this forum, and you will find many. As I responded to this question, my answer is the same: The RCBS 9460 Bench Mounted primer tool. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS 9460.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	318034 I have/use THREE of these. One has the larger primer tube; the second has the small-size primer tube; and, the third has a few updates by Darryl Holland. (Holland Shooting Supply: https://www.hollandguns.com/m7/H-PPS...lete-unit.html) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holland Perfect Primer.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	318035 Holland's unit, bought total, runs about $340.00 USD, but you can purchase (as I did) JUST the add-ons to a plain-Jane RCBS 9460. You can view the RCBS at Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9460-Aut...000NOORXE?th=1.
    Often, too, they come up at really affordable prices on both this site's S&S as well as the popular "e" auction site.
    Good luck!
    geo

And mount the RCBS at a 30-40 degree angle to the edge of the bench, left or right depending on whether you're the spawn of the devil(left handed) or not. It will make the operation much easier. At least I think so.

Boolit Master
    I’ve seen these, but didn’t realize they were so well liked over the hand priming tools.

I am going to look into one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I asked; the choice is clear. Thank you, all.

Well LEE Challenger Press I prime on press at belling stage of my brass. I batch style do sizing/decapping then later do a bell and prime, keep stored this way it is ready when I want to drop my powder and seat my bullet

Boolit Master
    I just now ordered the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. There is a Rebate offered that gets you $25 back through 20 September so better act fast if you want to take advantage of that. I've used either the press or an old RCBS hand tool for 45 years and would like something faster and easier to use. All these positive endorsements got me off the fence to buy something better. I ordered mine from MidwayUSA by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornSutton View Post
    I still use a round tray LEE. I load at the range/match often, so a handheld is it. Plus I hate picking one primer at a time. so I have kept the old LEE going.
    i concur - been using mine since they came out + i bought a few spares at yard sales to last me !
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    I am using the old Lee hand held round primer tray tool. What is so bad about their newer version?

Boolit Master

Yes, RCBS Universal Priming Tool

Comes like this:

With slight DIY modifications, look now like this:

Mounted to Pat Marlin ShelfDock. Added spring and string to return lever arm to its full upright position, rather than hand wringing the lever in both directions (tiring). Added cushioning of the lever arm as thousands of up - downs wears on the palm of the hand.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I just add my late vote for the RCBS Bench priming tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Odd that nobody mentioned that the RCBS cannot be used right out of the box. The tool must have a 3" riser or have the handle 8" over the edge of the bench or the handle bottoms out on the bench top before a primer can be seated. I do not need an intrusive piece of 3/8"x 1" handle jutting 8" over the edge of the bench to snag my old body on (yeah, I'm an advanced senior). I can live with a tube wobbling back and forth in front of my face, but don't particularly care for it, distracting. Yes I have one and occasionally use it, but mine doesn't seat 100% positively. (before anyone calls me fumble fingered, ignorant; I have been a machinist mechanic for over 55 years and have worked with hand tools since the age of 11 with my mechanic father so I do know how to work with hand and power tools.). If this tool were painted red and had L** on the side the complaints would be endless.

The best but not the fastest priming tool is a ram prime. I have used one for over 33 years and have had zero FTF from improper priming on all my handgun and rifle handloads, large and small, standard and magnum...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I am using the old Lee hand held round primer tray tool. What is so bad about their newer version?
    Some people don't like change. The new one is easier to transfer the primers to the tray and has a feed off switch. Pretty nice if you ask me.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Le probably has the fastest priming system in the reloading game, with the New Deluxe APP.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Odd that nobody mentioned that the RCBS cannot be used right out of the box. The tool must have a 3" riser or have the handle 8" over the edge of the bench or the handle bottoms out on the bench top before a primer can be seated.
    Not a problem. My workbench has a 12" Moxon vice. A block of wood with a mortise and tenon on the bottom can be clamped in the vice. The tool mounts on the top. When not in use it can be stored elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast