Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priming Tool Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Le probably has the fastest priming system in the reloading game, with the New Deluxe APP.
    Very interesting. Have you used yours for awhile? Does it appear that it will hold up in the long run?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Very interesting. Have you used yours for awhile? Does it appear that it will hold up in the long run?
    I have Not needed a New one so IDK...I got a Lee auto prime II back about time they first hit the Market...some time ago...
    has Not Failed!!!
    BTW, I have 4 trays with feeders.. quick to Change Cartridges, primer sizes etc!! I even leave some trays filled and marked with a piece of scotch tape!
    Edit; I suspect I would appreciate Any brand that utilized Regular Shell Holders...like the Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Ive use it some. I like it.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

Mount the RCBS priming tool at the edge of your bench and you do not need a riser.

Boolit Master
    Noticed issue with those triangle feed trays. The Loadmaster has a couple 'bumps' on it made to 'jiggle' the tray on every stroke. Every now and then the lock thingy still causes a jam up. I kinda wish I had kept my old round feed trays.

Most of the time Lee stuff works well, but, other times they need a 'fix'. Which is why I converted my Loadmaster to manually seat the primers. It now works kinda like a bench mounted primer.

Boolit Master

The RCBS with the rocking primer tube has been the best for preventing wear and tear on your hands that I've come across. My Dad has had a number of arthritis-related surgeries and he purchased it for that reason. Good leverage and positive seating.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    The RCBS with the rocking primer tube has been the best for preventing wear and tear on your hands that I've come across. My Dad has had a number of arthritis-related surgeries and he purchased it for that reason. Good leverage and positive seating.
    I too have some serious arthritis..The Lee Auto-Prime II, again...I mount mine in one of their inexpensive Presses...and leave it there, long as I can get ahold of the cases (32ACP's can be challenging) all is good

Boolit Grand Master

As you have noticed, the RCBS bench tool is a favorite. Its kind of funny but I prefer to use a hand primer. But whatever works for you is good, to each his own I say!

Although I voted for the RCBS and still find it best for me it seems like they all have their shortcomings.

Another vote for the RCBS bench tool. I use vise grip clamp to attach mine and I get the angle like I want. Mine is 50 yrs old and I've never needed anything else.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    For those considering the RCBS bench priming tool (great tool) don't forget to also buy a primer flip tray.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012933152?pid=466211

Boolit Master
    I like priming with a Lee Breechlock Challenger press. Nothing automatic. I use a flip tray and put the primers in one at a time, by hand. It puts the primers in with feel rather than a generic stop-point, so you get perfect priming even in mixed brass.

It might sound slow, but I get to size pistol cases simultaneously as priming. (For rifle, I generally expand while priming). So it's two birds with one stone. The Breechlock is great for this because you can put the primers in from one side while putting the cases in from the other. And the lever is adjustable. You can set it low enough so you can squeeze the primer in with your fingers wrapped around the frame of the press, ball of lever in your palm.

If you use a progressive for pistol ammo (but don't like the jamming or subpar priming consistency of a progressive), pre-sizing the cases in addition to pre-priming will take out a lot of the lever force.

When I load straight walled cases that must be belled slightly, I prime on my Rock Chucker. Might as well, then I can eliminate the additional step. If I have time, I prime and bell a bunch of cases at a time and put them into Zip-Loc bags marked "Ready".
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Iv'e been paying attention to this thread. I started back in the 80's with a lee hand held but got tired of replacing the links so I got a rcbs bench priming tool and it worked great but when rcbs came out with a hand held priming tool with a tray I got rid of the bench unit for one. Now Iv'e worn out the hand primer and am thinking about going back to the bench unit but can't make up my mind. If I could get through to rcbs I'd probably get the parts to repair the hand unit but there robo phone system is a nightmare.

Boolit Master
    I threw my Lee hand primers in the trash after figuring out how to adjust my Breechlock Challenger lever shorter to squeeze frame and lever together. Gives the perfect leverage and great feel, not tiring or painful. No fiddling, at all.

1. Put case in shellholder with left hand, primer in the cup with my right hand.
    2. Pull lever down to [size + decap or to expand] the case.
    3. Push lever up, wrapping fingertips around the front of the frame to squeeze primer in, feeling for when it bottoms out and giving a little bit extra force.
    4. Drop lever a little ways, so that the now empty primer arm sticks out, ready to load. Take out primed case. With lever set short, it is counterbalanced with the extra lever length sticking out the back. So the lever stays here, rather than falling down due to gravity.

Spent primer system is convenient and 99.5% reliable, out the gate.

Can't have too many SS presses. Entire press is cheaper than an RCBS bench primer.

On the rare occasion that a primer gets started into a crimped pocket, it's easy to feel it before the primer gets squished. If you're sizing/decapping, just run it up again and you can catch the good primer out the slot as it ejects, before it falls into the spent primer hole. If expanding, just get a little decapping rod and do it manually.

I'm sure priming tubes can speed things up if you reload in big lots. But I rarely want to prime tons of cases in advance. Primers are too expensive!
    Last edited by gloob; 09-24-2023 at 01:21 AM.

Last night I primed 200 pieces of brass on the Lee Deluxe APP, took maybe 15-20 min. once I got organized.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Banned

ive used about all of them. my favorite is one that surprised me. i like the old lee hand primer but wore out many of them and was down to my last one when i saw the new Frankfort arsenal hand primer on midway. thought it would be a good replacement fot the lee. surprised the hell out of me when it came. it is a seriouly stout unit that i doubt youd ever break or wear out and it works as good or better then the lee. buy one you wont regret it

Boolit Mold
    I'm sure the OP's made a decision, but I'll add this. Lee bench prime fitted with an RCBS primer tray.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have the Lee Auto Bench Prime and like it. Will that RCBS primer tray fit the Lee without any modifications?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I have the Lee Auto Bench Prime and like it. Will that RCBS primer tray fit the Lee without any modifications?
    Slight modification needed, I followed someone else's idea from a YouTube video. Sand the bottom of the RCBS tray that feeds into the Lee holder. I measured the tray thickness of the Lee tray for a reference, and sanded enough from the RCBS tray, test fitting along the way. I believe I paid 7.50 for the tray on eBay.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk