Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styer m95

Boolit Mold

Styer m95

I recently purchased a m95 at auction. But I didn’t think brass/ammo or the stripper clips would be dang hard to find if anyone has any advice or leads please let me know

Boolit Buddy
    Which caliber?

Boolit Buddy

I'm assuming 8x56R, reformable from 7.62x54R. Yes they are short, but any port in the storm.

Boolits are the next issue, it is not a standard 8mm diameter boolit. .329. Which was, I believe, only used in the 8x56R and the.318 Westley Richards. Lee in the past made a mold and dies for it. Fun shooter, the straight pull is a little disconcerting.

Clips are not easy to find, I lucked into a fair number of them several years ago. You used to be able to find old surplus ammo on stripper clips at gun shows occasionally.

There was some Priv ammo available several years ago, I haven't looked in probably 4 years, I suspect I have a lifetimes worth of ammo/brass.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-15-2023 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Mold

Boolit Buddy
    eBay has a guy selling 2 clip sets for around $35. Not cheap anymore, but 4 should last a long time if you are careful with them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36406788279...Bk9SR_KjobTUYg

I bought a wooden crate full of the “cigarette” boxes of Nazi 8x56r dated 1938 back in the early 90’s. Each box contains 2 clips with 5 rounds. The clips are worth more than the ammo.

Boolit Master

Privi brass and lee makes reloading dies.

Lee also makes a mould for a bullet but it is usually undersized because they say the diameter should be .329". I found my rifle shoots a bigger bullet better, I ended up using a copy of the original "Frankenstein" bullet out of a mould made by NOE. which lets me size at .336". These rifle have a very large throat and the bullet was designed to fill it up better for better accuracy. I also needed to use a larger expander to load the bigger bullet. I also found using the Lee FCD die they make for the round was useful also.

Here is a pic of the bullet from NOE. The first is coated in HiTek and sized and GC applied and the second is a raw casting. In the loaded cartridge you can see the bullet loaded long to fill up the throat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Franken bullet web.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	318024

Early on I was using regular lube with a custom sizer in my Star. I was only lubing the bottom two lube grooves so I could seat them out. In the pice below you can see a clip of those bullet loaded and ready to shoot.

Name:	M95 Actionammo web.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	318023

Numrich has also had the en bloc clips at a reasonable price in the past but seem to be sold out now. Apex ditto, sold out on clips, but they have M95 extractors! https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...ction/m95.html

Extractors aren't cheap, but they used to be impossible to find, and many were broken by owners attempting to single load cartridges without clips. If you try to just drop a round into the chamber and force the bolt home, you're apt to break the extractor. I've heard M95 extractors aren't as strong as M98 Mauser extractors, and they are certainly harder to find and are more expensive, so you need to be careful.

You can single load safely, but it's a slow cumbersome process. You must avoid stressing the extractor by trying to force it over the rim of a chambered cartridge (because there's no room for the extractor to flex over the rim of an already chambered round). Draw the bolt back far enough to feed the rim of a cartridge under the extractor by hand, and with your fingers, guide the bolt with the captured cartridge forward until the cartridge begins to chamber. This mimics what happens when a cartridge, supported in the en bloc clip and magazine follower is picked up by the bolt as it goes forward in normal operation with a clip in place. This might sound complicated, but after you've done it a few times, it gets easier and allows for single loading.

Boolit Master

Those Austrian lads in the cavalry musta been big strappin' lads 'cause this ammo in one of those wee little carbines will knock you into next week. Hard shootin' they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Those Austrian lads in the cavalry musta been big strappin' lads 'cause this ammo in one of those wee little carbines will knock you into next week. Hard shootin' they are!

Got some of those, too much of a whimp to shoot them.

Plus, too lazy to clean afterwards.

Plus I think we're responding to a thread created by a drive by poster. Registers, posts, then disappears.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry been busy lately yes it’s the 8x56r. And I guess I’ll wait till the big gun show in Tulsa and look and see if I can find anything there. I have 7.62x54r brass but I don’t want to use any of that since I have the stuff that shoots it. Thank you all for the advice and sorry I don’t respond right away

Boolit Master

The Austrian brass is Berdan and corrosively primed, but beautiful stuff. I have Berdan primers and have shot some cast bullets through mine. Most of these are short, light carbines, and shooting the military loading will give you a lot of recoil. My experience is that the sights were way off, shooting way high.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    The Austrian brass is Berdan and corrosively primed, but beautiful stuff. I have Berdan primers and have shot some cast bullets through mine. Most of these are short, light carbines, and shooting the military loading will give you a lot of recoil. My experience is that the sights were way off, shooting way high.
    Yes, it is excellent brass and well worth reloading. I help a local fellow convert a couple hundred to use boxer small rifle primers . I also helped get him set up casting the Lee Karabiner bullet. He loads them over 4895 with a Dacron filler. I run into him occasionally at our local range shooting the steel sheep at 300 yards. Always has a big smile.

Name:	8x56R.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	318291

Attachment 318292

Name:	8x56R 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	318293
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-25-2023 at 07:32 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I wanted to (but never did) convert my m95 to 45-70 to lessen the recoil….
    That neat little rifle kicked hard!
    A Vaquero in North Park ended up with it and twenty clips full of the mean ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    How would I convert berdan to boxer on the primer pocket?

There are 2 or 3 methods of doing this chore. Larry Gibson has in the past explained in detail how he did it. He might want to go through it all again, but if not you can search the archives.

DG

Boolit Master

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ckets-to-Boxer

This one is Larry Gibson's method. If you go to the search bar and type in "berdan to boxer conversion" seven hits come up.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

I will repost the photos if interested?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast