WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Brand new RCBS Pro-Melt first gen

Brand new RCBS Pro-Melt first gen

Don't ask how I got it but I got a brand new RCBS Pro-Melt first generation. New in the box. I kept looking at it and could not believe what I'm looking at. She's pristine. I feel like just keeping it like that and look at it from time to time ha ha ha.
    Now that I assemble it and is ready to roll I was thinking that before I start using it if I should do something that I cannot think of right now. Any idea from you gents?
    My old first gen Pro-Melt who I still have it I use it in conjunction with Hatch PID. But is not a permanent install as I use the same PID for my Master Caster. Should I get another PID and install it permanently on the new melter or I should not bother opening it and such. It is very easy to just dip the probe in the pot and plug the pot to the PID and then plug the PID to the wall.
    Also, anyone uses the after market lid and tray sold on ebay? Is is worth buying it?
    Any input much appreciated.
    Nick

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd try it stock, i.e. without the PID first. You may be surprised.

Uncountable tons of lead alloy have been melted in original Promelts without PIDs over the decades since its introduction. I still use mine without a PID.

I tend to think of PIDs as they might be nice to have, but they aren't totally necessary to make good boolits.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    My old Ohio Pro Melt is still working perfectly. RCBS bought the rights to make it under their name long ago.

How about the add on tray and lid sold on ebay. I kinda like the idea of instead of holding the mold in my hand just lay it on the tray and push it to the next hole. Was wondering if anyone has it and can chime in with a feedback.

Boolit Master

Got a link to the tray and lid on eBay? Not familiar with those.

My Pro-Melt has a mold guide bar below the spout that is attached and adjustable by set screws. I rest the bottom of the mold on the bar as I pour from the spout.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

N.O.E. makes a GREAT mold guide for the RCBS old Pro Melt. I use an inverted ingot mold on top of My old Pro Melt.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I went on NOE site and the guide for RCBS is for the new generation. I will send them an e-mail ask. Thank you for the tip.

The old Pro Melt is fully adjustable for mould height, pour speed, etc. I never needed a lid or tray. If you clean and then heat your moulds by placing them on the alloy before the pro melt ii turned on or plugged in, they are within two bullet drops for casting quality bullets when the alloy is ready to pour.
    If you use the same make and type moulds, the height stays fairly constant for casting. Since I cast with multiple moulds at one time, usually four 2x cavity moulds, the mould height is a factor.

My pro melt has been painted with Bar BQ grill paint twice, it is now black.Probably have emptied it, then taken it apart and cleaned the sides, valve, etc two dozen times. Lke any mechanical tool, it needs a bit of maintenance from time to time.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I mounted a "lab jack" 4"x 4" to the base of my pro melt. I can adjust height of the mold in seconds. The heavy Hensley & Gibbs 8-10 cavity molds are a piece of cake with this mod. I also use the ebay mentioned aluminum lid on my pot.

Thanks for the tip. Had no idea what a lab jack is. Now I know and that's exactly what I'm going to buy. That's perfect because I have jig head molds that need to be poured a tad inclined. Awesome idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Have 2 50 yr old ProMelts, still as good as new one for 20/1 the other for Lino, have cast thousands of pills over that time!! Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the link. I have never needed or used a lid. I have never emptied the pot and leave it nearly full after the day's castings as it (was said) "heats faster" from cold with a nearly full pot. I have never taken apart or "cleaned" the pot. I wipe away dirt and grime during use. I always flux the previously well-fluxed alloy (again and again) in the pot of my Pro Melt. The mold guide bar has been completely satisfactory for me over the 10's of thousands of times I have passed boolits molds across it. My original Pro Melt is working well in the way that I have used it and will continue to use it.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.