Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 41 Special

41 Special

Anyone here have experience with the 41 Special round in a small/midsize revolver?
    I know single actions can be done on Ruger Single Six, and SA / DA on mid size frames such as those for 38 Spl / 357.

Looking for conversation on what you have, who may have done the work, loads, velocities, quirks your dislike(s), and ... etc.

Years ago I had thought about this cartridge and small frame gun, never did one, and wondering if I should look at the whole thing again.
    Looking at retirement in the not too far away future, and maybe a fun gift for myself.

Single Six, birds head grip, maybe in spalted maple or black & while ebony, 5 inch barrel, 190 gr-ish bullet, 1000 fps, seems kind of nice to me...

Boolit Master
    Crickets….
    Yep 41 Magnum has a small following and 41 Special is a tiny fraction of that.

But…what you’re talking here is not about something that is popular with others, it’s something “Special” to you. I think you’d better do it. Get it while you can and enjoy it while you can.

It’ll cost money but, after you’ve paid it, you’ll get over it and you’ll still have a super cool revolver to enjoy the rest of your shooting career. If you’d have bought it earlier it would have been a better bargain bc you’d have enjoyed it longer.

When retirement hits you may not be able to afford it, or just as bad, feel like you can’t. If it’s on your bucket list kick it off soon as you can!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I’m a big fan of the 41 Mag and have always expressed an interest in its “baby brother”, the 41 Special. I think it makes sense, just like the 38 Spl/357 Mag and the 44 Spl/44 Mag combination.

It’s been a few years but I actually handled a 41 Special that was built on a 5 shot Ruger Service Six. Only bad part of it was the price… it was way out of my budget.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

No kind of special gun, but I do have a fair amount of brass though.
    I was shootin out of my Blackhawk.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master

I have also been a big 41 Magnum fan . I do mostly paper target and tin can shooting with what is now 41 "Special" loads in 41 magnum cases .
    I find 200-220 gr. boolits at 750 to 900 fps Quite effective and pleasant to shoot .
    I only have a S&W model 58 , 41 Magnum (my avatar) but a 5 shot revolver in 41 Special would be an interesting concept .
    At one time Taurus made a 5 shot 41 Magnum ... the model 415 ... I didn't buy one because I had a model 455 , 5 shot 45 acp and I couldnt fathom shooting a 41 magnum out of that ported 2" barrel ...the magnum is a handful even in a N-Frame S&W w/ 4" bbl. but a 41 Special ...that's a horse of a different color .
    Taurus no longer makes the 415 or 455 dang it !
    The 415 , 5 shot revolver might be a good candidate for the project ... I love my 455 , 5-shot 45 acp , it's a neat compact revolver .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-16-2023 at 10:18 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm no 41 fan, but an acquaintance of mine in Arizona had a Taurus 415. IIRC, it was a 2+" bbl 5 shot, about the size of an sp101 Ruger. My aged wrists shudder to think of firing such a thing now, but back about 15 years ago I was intrigued by the concept and looked for one, but there were none to be had in California. Perhaps just as well, the 44 Charter Arms is more than I care to shoot, these days.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks for the responses so far (particularly from Glen, Gary, Grinch, Shoestring), eager to hear from any others as well who might have, or have had, a 41 Special.

I have a collectable car to sell, and thinking that some of the return could be siphoned off...
    Finding parts for 52 year old Oldsmobiles (that are modified) is worse than finding large rifle primers, and it isn't temporary... So, a custom gun would be much better for me!

I had a mid frame Flat top Blackhawk converted 41, 41 specials loaded with a 220gr 410459 are a perfect fit.

If I were to do another one I would want a GP100 or L frame S&W. I don't think a K frame would hold the pressure.

Several gunsmiths do the mods, I used Andy Horvath for my Blackhawk.

Hey there TurnipEater. I just load magnum cases at lower power levels and enjoy the Charter Arms .41.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    I had a mid frame Flat top Blackhawk converted 41, 41 specials loaded with a 220gr 410459 are a perfect fit.

If I were to do another one I would want a GP100 or L frame S&W. I don't think a K frame would hold the pressure.

Several gunsmiths do the mods, I used Andy Horvath for my Blackhawk.
    Thanks rkrcpa for the lead on Andy Horvath. Think I do remember his name from some Taffin articles. Found some photos, and they sure do look nice.
    I get my vehicle peddled, I may well give him a call. I see he has no website. The nice thing is that northern Ohio is right next door.

I do have the thought that a 41 Spl 5 shot built on a single six would be nice. (CF, it seems that the RF to CF conversion is not supported by Bowen. I see they were offered on 32 H&R through Liseys w/ Bisley grip.)

I suppose many might cringe at the thought of getting something like a Lipsey gun and using it just as a basis, but I remember hunting up a Ruger SRM 25 years ago that was little fired to send off to Linebaugh. Few original parts came back in the gun - many were in a box. The finished product folded a Bison quite nicely, is a good memory, and both kids asked multiple times over the years about '...the one with the white grip...".
    I'd like to have something as special, which can be shot much more often.

Boolit Master
    Funny this would come up as I was just noticing recently that Taylor & Company offers 41 Colt cylinders and barrels as spare parts for their midsize Colt single action clones. I have one with the 5.5 inch barrel in 38 Special and was thinking how fun it would be to have one like it in 41 Colt. The 41 Special case is about .020 longer than 41 Colt though so the cylinders would have to be reamed - assuming the cylinder is long enough - to make it a Special. I'd think it would be just as fun as a 41 Colt once you get a lifetime stash of brass on hand that is.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/uber...ver-parts.html
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 10-04-2023 at 11:29 PM. Reason: correct mistake

I used to have a S&W 41 Magnum. Got rid of it because the 44 Magnum did everything it could and more.

Boolit Grand Master

We sort of did the opposite with our 44 mag... sold it as we went gradually with the 41 mag and 45 Colt.
    The Dan Wesson 41 Mag sure got our attention with that Caliber. Still the most accurate revolver we have owned made by a factory. 40 years and still shooting accurately any load we desire to stuff into those well aligned chambers.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yea... this is about the 41 Special.
    You can load most any .411+ projectile in the regular mag brass. RB up to 325 (or so) can be accurately powered down range from 600 fps to whatever feels good. And a 300 grain (range scrap) FN chugging along at 650 fps will go through alot of critter ribs and fresh. Wack them in the shoulders and the snap, crackle & pop puts them DRT.
    So we have a couple .41 5 shot and all sorts of 6 shots that get fed light weight and heavies moved along at moderate velocities.
    The Ruger gp100 is one we bought. Far to heavy for 41 carry but makes a good one for hauling in a kayak and encouraging large dogs that me in the low floater are not their new toy. May yet see an inquisitive large cat that leaves pug marks on the sand bars that the green suiters deny exist.
    The Taurus Titanium Tracker makes a nice 41 Mag to shoot Special velocity propelled rounds from mag brass. Have no regrets for buying every one of those 5 shot Titaniums we found being sold used in whatever caliber. Owners fired store bought Heavy Mag loads at ear splitting velocities and promptly moved on.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a shame the .41 cals. never really took off. I toyed with going to them a few years ago. It did not make sense in the end. Thousands of .38/.357 brass, 10's of thousands of SPP's, and ten's of thousands of bullets along with a few molds. Plus 7 weapons at the time in .38/.357. I do not hunt big game with a revolver or carry a revolver for SD so my "needs" killed my "wants". Plus I had .44 Mags at the time...but they are all gone now.

It does not have to "make sense" if you want something badly enough and can afford it. Shooting on a Shoe String makes a good point. Buy it while you can enjoy it.

IMO, I doubt there will be any challenges in finding a good load.

Have fun with it!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Love thread drift. It’s fun.

But, re-focusing here, the OP is looking to have a custom revolver built to commemorate getting to retirement.
    As a Caster and Self-Loader, he’s not limited to standard calibers.
    The only thing I see as a negative to 41 Special is that it’s not a commercially available caliber. Not his problem.

I shoot revolvers chambered in calibers of performance level similar to 41 Special. My revolvers are in 38-40, 10mm/40 S&W and 44 Special. That’s a very useful and fun performance level. But it’s not commercially viable because MOST people buy magnums instead of specials. The OP is not most people.

The point of having a custom gun built is to satisfy only ONE guy. The guy paying the money. He has his heart set on small frame 41 Special and I seriously hope he gets it. It would be super cool!

I’ll bet he already knows there’s only 0.019” diameter difference in 41 and 44 Special. And he could, maybe even has, down loaded the magnums to Special levels. No doubt that’s the cheapest way to get there. A S&W Model 69 down loaded comes close to what he’s wanting…except for being custom, having a glorious finish, having pretty grips, having sights to his liking and the 69 has the Hilary hole and MIM parts.

And if this custom project can help him get out from under an Oldsmobile, I hope he does it!
    Now please excuse me while I go get in my Ford and go to work.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Passing thought, to make .41 Specials you just need a boolit design that seats deeper into the .41 Magnum cases. That's easy. But it won't make a revolver like a six shot .357 converted into a five shot .41.

I'd love to have one. Instead I have a .41 caliber percussion revolver, a 1858 Remington reworked by John Taylor to use my .41 caliber molds and that's pretty darn special to me.

I suppose one could just shoot Special loads in magnum brass as Special brass is …… ?

This is one of those rounds…… a solution in search of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    I suppose one could just shoot Special loads in magnum brass as Special brass is …… ?

This is one of those rounds…… a solution in search of a problem.
    I have some they came from Starline years ago.
    Think I ordered 250, I've given some away.
    Still have some, none of which was ever shot over twice.
    I just played a min.and was done. They've been just sittin on the shelf for some years now.
    I'm more into a heavy cast 41's now, shootin 280's and such.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

The advantage of the 41 special lies in the fact it will fit in a smaller revolvers than currently produced 41 magnums with little reduction of the velocities attainable. If you are looking to launch big bullets at higher velocities the medium frame is not your friend,.But, if you stick to bullets of 220gr or less and velocities of 1000fps or less the 1 special may just be the ticket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast