RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special Bear Defense Load

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I use something less powerful. That load might over penetrate and kill a baby hiding behind the bear.
    That reminds me of something… why don’t rifles over penetrate?

The answer is in how you read the question. Personally, I doubt if bears need defense loads, as they are big, with teeth and claws.

DG

So - not a 38 special load, but I have some HP GC boolits that are in the 158 grain range that I think I'm gonna try out in the 350 legend... I do load these in 38 special and they are going a modest 750 or so fps. But a 30 round magazine and a gun sending 150 grain boolits at 2100-2200 fps should stop a bear...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    With 38 special you may as well shoot in the air and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by M-tecs
    Handgun or Pistol Against Bear Attacks 104 cases, 97% Effective
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...70_FMwebp_.jpg

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If it were me, I think I would just carry some of my 38 Colt Short loads . . . . they take up less room in your pocket which leaves more room to carry more toilet paper . . . just in case you do run into a bear . . . .
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 09-20-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    <tongue in cheek mode on> Reload the case to the brim with VV310 and give it to the bear to fire.

On a separate note - If attacked by a bear, play dead. It's good practice for when it kills you 5 seconds later.

Boolit Master
    Oh boy, pass the popcorn!!!!!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    Wait till he opens wide to eat you... then shove the barrel in his mouth and pull the trigger; make it look like a suicide
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found that a 140gr dewc with red dot works fine if you wait out the charge till the last moment then somersault onto it's back and fire into it's ear riding it to the ground like a bucking bronco. After much experimenting I found a 5 shot Chiefs Special works the best as the short barrel is easier to get into the ear so you don't have to latch onto the other one with your teeth to keep its head steady. Lots of ticks in the ears so try not to do that.
    I must point out a caution, though. If he is real rambunctious you might have to clamp onto that left ear (if right handed) and reach under with your right and muckle onto the family jewels to show who's boss and settle him down. Just get over it and get it done. If it's a sow your on your own as I've not been charged by one. I heard that using your Indiana Jones bullwhip, you always carry one, right?, to keep the ride going and just tire her out works but that was told to me over a fire in Siberia by a guy I'm not sure I trusted as he had a predilection for exaggeration. He spun a wild tale after much vodka of taking Stalin hunting. When a bear charged Stalin he froze so this guy jumped on and finding out it was female yanked out the whip and they went in circles. Told me Stalin threw himself on the ground and cried like a Nancy watching him subdue the Brown. Seriously, Stalin crying? Oy...
    Use that method at your discretion

I've used my method on a number of blacks, griz and browns. Always works for me
    Last edited by jonp; 09-16-2023 at 02:58 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    The old 200gr boolit over real black powder is the best load, to shoot your buddy in the knee with.

After that you should be able to out run him.

Boolit Master

I've loaded the Lyman 358430 (195gr RN) in the Special at a pokey 570fps in one of my earlier efforts to simulate the old British .38/200 load. It penetrated 18" of calibrated FBI-spec Jell-O in a nice straight line. It could be thrown faster. If one is assuming ANY handgun has a reasonable chance of stopping a large carnivore fast enough to save your skin, there are worse combinations to kid yourself with.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've found that a 140gr dewc with red dot works fine if you wait out the charge till the last moment then somersault onto it's back and fire into it's ear riding it to the ground like a bucking bronco. After much experimenting I found a 5 shot Chiefs Special works the best as the short barrel is easier to get into the ear so you don't have to latch onto the other one with your teeth to keep its head steady. Lots of ticks in the ears so try not to do that.
    I must point out a caution, though. If he is real rambunctious you might have to clamp onto that left ear (if right handed) and reach under with your right and muckle onto the family jewels to show who's boss and settle him down. Just get over it and get it done. If it's a sow your on your own as I've not been charged by one. I heard that using your Indiana Jones bullwhip, you always carry one, right?, to keep the ride going and just tire her out works but that was told to me over a fire in Siberia by a guy I'm not sure I trusted as he had a predilection for exaggeration. He spun a wild tale after much vodka of taking Stalin hunting. When a bear charged Stalin he froze so this guy jumped on and finding out it was female yanked out the whip and they went in circles. Told me Stalin threw himself on the ground and cried like a Nancy watching him subdue the Brown. Seriously, Stalin crying? Oy...

I don't know Jon, I have a tendency to grab both ears and might forget to remove my off hand when I shoot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Keith 358429 and 7 grains of Unique might work but falls into the excessive pressure and irresponsible category though Elmer recommended this bullet with 8 grains of Unique. I saw a bear in the zoo. That's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

Does the bear ear wax increase the velocity out of the Chief's special?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Most any .38 Special load should work as well as the mighty (cough) .25 ACP in slowing down your companion during bear attack.

Robert
    When an acquittance questioned my 9mm for bear defense I told him it wasn't for shooting the bear but to slow him down. He was quite after that.

Boolit Master
    Seriously though, where 9mm has worked, and trust me as I believe in 44s and 480s ..... a properly loaded 38 would be a better choice than a 9mm except for round count.

The Chief Special and a heavy framed 38 like the Outdoorsman can handle some pretty rambunctious loads, the Outdoorsman being the inspiration for the creation of the 357 magnum cartridge.

If I was charged while only packing a 38, that is what I would use.

If I was out with Joesph Stalin and only had a bull whip I would try it on the bear. If it did p not turn it away, I would use it on "Joe" to get him runnin'........ the bear would focus on him whilst I slipped away.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Any load will do to put you out of your misery before the bear makes you it’s lunch.

I feel sorry for all y'all that still have to worry about bear encounters and caliber choices. Back when I was a kid here in the Stumpwater area of NE Texas we eradicated the entire population of bears (and lions, tigers, elephants, etc) with our finely tuned Daisy BB guns. I've felt so safe for the last 60 years that I even leave the house without my Daisy.

I used a Chiefs Special against a grizzly.
    ONCE!
    Never again!
    Took jonp’s advice and stuck it deep in its ear and pulled the trigger.
    The exposed hammer was so deep in the ear canal it got hung up and the gun couldn’t fire.��
    Now I use a Centennial with an internal hammer.
    “The bear has to touch you to hurt you.
    Don’t let the bear touch you.” Me

.500 Linebaugh. Caliber matters.
    RIP John Linebaugh 11/15/1955 - 03/19/2023

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast