RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: H&R Topper? 088, fix ir sell

Boolit Master

H&R Topper? 088, fix ir sell

I was given a receiver and a barrel stub for a 088 H&R single shot shotgun. This was something dads late best friend stashed who known how long ago and his widow gave to him, he then gave it to me to figure out. it spent a while in his garage attic and has some rust. The receiver looks complete and seems to function but will need to be cleaned and conserved. No other parts have been found in the attic, yet. Ive been able to find everything but a barrel to possibly reassemble it. What do the experts and guru's think?

Can't seem to load photos either by laptop or phone for some reason.

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    will the barrels interchange? i read an old thread here that says some will(SB1/SB2) but nothing on the 88, i did notice that some receiver parts interchange between the 48 & 88

Graybeard outdoors site is full of H&R information.
    The older Toppers have a rebounding hammer; the later ones have a transfer bar(striker)system. Other than that, all parts interchange within type.
    Another barrel might fit- but probably not- but can be fitted if on the tight side.
    As said above, parts are common online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

For the pressures of a shotgun bbl. you can shim it with an aluminum can if it is too loose. You should have 0.001.5" with a feeler gauge when the action is closed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Unless it's a labor of love, you'll soon surpass the value of the finished gun. I had a 12 guage Topper. Lasted my whole boyhood. They made a few 28 gauges. Always wanted one of them./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I've got an H&R 20 gauge I got from my grandfather. No idea where he got it. He thought it was mine. That thing is feather light, kicks like a mule with a bad disposition and I could never shoot it well. Might be the shotgun, might be me.

Anyway, unless there's some sentimental value I'd probably not spend time or money on it. Just my opinion. Mine sits in the safe.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a Model 58 Topper in .410 when I was a kid, it was old enough that it had the rebounding hammer. I never had a bit of trouble from it, except that reloads from a Lee Loader wouldn't eject, no sizing of the case head.

Every other H&R/NEF that I have had or been around, the transfer bar has broken. Not a big deal money wise, at least when NEF was still in business and parts were available. It was a big deal when the gun went click instead of bang on a deer in the crosshairs, or a turkey under the bead.

If you do decide to complete the project, I recommend getting at least one extra set of transfer bar parts, to include the fifing pin, and keep them as spares.

Robert

^^^^This^^^^
    And NEVER dry fire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk