Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Savage mod 99, 22 Hi Power.

Savage mod 99, 22 Hi Power.

I have the opportunity to buy a couple more lever guns, a Browning BLR in 308 which I'm quite happy with and a savage 99 in 22 hi-power, they are both extremely inexpensive, BTW.
    Ammo and brass for the 22 Hi power are available over here in the UK but info on reloading is very hard to come by.
    The guy that is selling these guns has 700, 70 grn sp 0.228" bullet heads that he is throwing into the pot but no cases.
    I really would not be using this rifle to hunt, more of a plinker and range gun.
    Does anyone have any experience of loading cast boolits for this caliber?
    All info gratefully received.
    FWIW, the two guns are being sold as an estate package, I really want the BLR but am not really fussed about the mod 99 in this caliber but it would be nice to have.

Boolit Master
    Id be pumped about any Savage 99, and especially a lower produced chambering such as the 22 HiPower. Be happy, buy both, shoot both.

If you search this forum, you should be able to find several threads on loading cast boolits in a Savage .22 Hi-Power, like this one:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...avage-Hi-Power
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

The Savage 1899 in .22 Hi Power is one of the Holy Grails of Savage 1899's. The others are .250 Savage and .358 Winchester for a newer S99.

Quality Cartridge has the brass. Not cheap at $54 US for 20 rounds but their Products are first rate so you would get many reloads out of them. 40 rounds would probably last you forever.

https://www.qual-cart.com/

It looks like the perfect Bunny Gun for you in the UK ... Keep the Cast Boolits, and you will need a mold as well. Also watch on Ebay for a Lyman 57SA Receiver Sight for it. The gun should already have been D&T'd for it. This is the "Proper" Rear Sight for a Savage Lever Gun.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $_55.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-15-2023 at 03:35 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

You probably already know this, but the 22 Hi Power is AKA 5.6 x 52R and available from S&B and Norma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a 99 in .22 Savage, dies to make the brass and a cast bullet mold. Forming .22 Savage from .30-30 or several other cartridges is not hard. IIRC, an old Handloader magazine had an article on brass conversion, and they recommended use .25-35 brass, as the case diameter ahead of the rim was larger, like the .22 Savage.

They are pleasant rifles to carry.

Boolit Master
    Down in this end of the world the 22 high power was made famous in Lawrence Will's book 'The cracker history of Okeechobee". After half of the combatants ran in the Port Myakka fish house shoot out, A teenager was seen to Okeechobee to get the Sherriff and a rifle of sufficient power to penetrate the 1-inch-thick cypress bords that the fish house and many other buildings were made from. The teen returned and said the LEO was on the way and the hardware store owner said this is what you need and handed him a Savage 99 in 22 high power.

Thanks for the responses, I sure appreciate your interest.
    As it happens, I couldn't talk myself into buying both guns but the 99 whetted my appetite so if one came up in 250 savage or 308 win I'd probably jump at the chance.

Sometimes I feel like kicking myself in the ass, I've been reloading with LOVEX powder for years now and thumbing through their handbook I found details of 5.6x52R loads which, as Texas by God pointed out aka 22 savage hi power, DOH!!!!

Boolit Master
    I would give my left nut to own both those rifles.
    the BLR has history for me...good bad and ugly and my father used to use a 22hp savage in the 99 action Ive handled one of them a loong time ago and would love to hunt with one.
    enjoy them both.

Have a 99 in 22HP, plenty of S&B brass and a CBE single cavity 70gn .229" mould.
    Am yet to start working with this rifle/cartridge.
    Also have a 99 in 250Savage. It's a TD though hasn't had the barrel removed in years. Was considering selling it as I'd bought a Ruger Mod77 RSI in 250Sav, but can't bear to part with the Sav99 250.
    Was chasing a Savage 99 in 358W but stopped when I scored a Miroku MLR pre-81 in 358W. Great cartridge and rifle combo.