RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do you pronounce Lapua?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    A friend of mine offered: "Would you like to shoot the 338 la...." and before he could say more, I injected "YEAH!!!"
    Then he said "$5 / round"
    And I said "mmmm noooo".
    I don't remember his pronunciation mainly because of my interjection...
    This fellow was actually correct to pronounce it "LA". The pua part is silent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    It's all about the local dialect. People are going to pronounce things different based on their local culture...
    For sure. Received Pronunciation in the UK seems to guarantee consistent though sometimes odd sounding (to American ears) ways of saying things (“toe-mah-toe”, “jah-goo-ayre”, “Don Joo-an”).

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    …she was from California.
    Californians aren’t even consistent. There’s a city a bit north of SF named after a Hispanic gentleman named Vallejo. Any native Spanish speaker would say “Ba-yay-hoe”, second syllable accented. Any English reader would say “Val-ly-Joe”, first syllable accented. Locals, though, including the city residents, say “Val-lay-hoe”, second syllable accented.

Go figure…

Boolit Master
    The above reminded me that local dialects of a language can be so far off that they are not very well understood by others. The 'US English' spoken in places like the bayou, brooklyn, etc can be far from the 'standard'. Sometimes enough off that it is difficult to understand by someone in another region. And this is still considered speaking English.

The Spanish language in the Americas has also been subject to 'modification'. The V in Vallejo is pronounced as a V by some hispanics and a B by others.

Bavarian German can be quite a bit different than northern German. Then there are the dialects in the UK, made famous by the movie 'My Fair Lady'. A british acquaintance returned to the UK after living in the US and they were aghast that she was "dropping her H's".

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think anyone pronounces the names of the towns in Oregon's French district correctly.
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Kind of a hobby (???) of mine it to screw up lots of pronunciations -- just for fun. E.g., when I see walkers on upcoming roadside, I advise wife (driver) to "watch out for the "ped-iss-tree-ins" ), and similar. Days of the week? I vary with Czech, German, and French most prevalent. (Today (Czech) is úterý.)
    Anyhoos, Lapua I always pronounce with awe as it is both "the best" (imho -- at least in my .221 Rem Fireball) as well as most costly. My bastardized pronunciation is Lap-ooh-wa. I've oft' said, as long as "the other party" knows what I'm saying... the joke is on them!
    geo
    Ha! i see another has a similarly cracked brain on pronunciation.

Boolit Master
    lah pooh agh the smurf song lah pooh like what a bear does in the woods and agh like the doctor wants when stick out your tongue LOL... They make great bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Finnish is a Ugraic language only found in Hungarian and outer-Mongolian. Lapua is pronounced phonetically. A in Finn is soft like in "awe", unless it has 2 dots over the A. 2 dots above the letter make it hard like A in Apple. U is like oo in moon. Law-poo-ah. People screw-up Sauna too. Saw-oo-nah. Don't get me started on SAKO or Tikka.

Boolit Master

I went to CA (by PCS in the USCG) from FL. First time I saw the sign (La Jolla) I called it "La Joe-la". The CA driver almost wrecked his truck - laughing. La HOY-ya he said. I pronounce it like I see it I said.

Hooked on Ph(F) -onics they said. (Phy) "F-sics"?, I wrote. A, e, i, o, u, and sometime "y" they said. "Y"?, I wrote.

English, and its pronunciation, is a unique and interesting language. I like to "booger it up" on purpose sometimes too.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Here in Saginaw is a neighborhood called Buena Vista. The locals say beuna vista, even the news readers when ever there is a shooting out there. Que beuna I guess.

Sorry for the drift there..
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    I saw a chance for a joke. Ill tell you how I say it.

To darn expensive.

How did I do?
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I say La-poo-uh. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. It might seem expensive but saves a lot of time prepping and is a bunch cheaper than the ride to and from the match and food and entry fees and the motel room.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't understand how the word eieio came to be pronounced as farm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I saw a chance for a joke. Ill tell you how I say it.

To darn expensive.

How did I do?
    I agree 100%!! The only Lapua brass I have is one box of 7.62x39. I thought to myself how ironic it is to buy this extremely expensive brand of brass for such a cartridge as that to shoot in a little CZ carbine with cast bullets. But it was what I could find back when I bought it.

Boolit Master

Kynoch. KI (rhymes with sky) nock.

Just guessing.

Boolit Master
    does this topic really matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Nope. Just having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Most people I have watched read the word 'pericope" pronounce it like looks like it should be pronounced, but thanks to the Engrish language, such is no the case.
    What is a pericope?
    anything like a periscope or am I totally bonkers?
    It is on a submarine, correct?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234