RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Check your 9mm Luger "brass" with a magnet

Boolit Master

Check your 9mm Luger "brass" with a magnet

I have started finding 9mm Luger cases that are steel, brass plated, and boxer primed; they look like the usual brass cases. They are headstamped KMD and the year (23 on mine). Fortunately they seem to rust quickly when exposed to rain or dew. I found them running a magnet over range brass to pick out the usual steel cases. The only benefit that comes to mind is a source of boxer-primed cases for people who wanted to try to reload steel cases. As long as 9mm brass cases are plentiful and free for the picking up I won't be trying to reload steel.

S&B used to put out brass washed steel cases also.

I run a magnet over all the range brass and range lead I pick up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    Where brass plated steel cases are a problem is when you try to sell them at a scrap yard.

This is one reason I don't reload most foreign 9mm cases. I stick to US brands & PMC seems ok. The others offer all sorts of problems from steel to internal steps to crimped primer & small flash holes & thicker brass causing bulged brass with bullets heavier than 124. 9MM brass is very plentiful at most ranges for the taking so I toss the other stuff.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the heads up!

Boolit Master
    I found another brass-plated steel case headstamp yesterday. FS at 12 0'clock and 9x19 at 6 o'clock. Also boxer primed.

Boolit Master

I scrap 9mm brass with the following headstamps: CBC( thick case mouth), military headstamp (sue to crimped primer pockets), GFL, Troy, S&B any any other that is unknown to me.
    I limit my loading to Winchester, R-P, Blazer,Speer and Federal. I have no problems with these.

I need to get a magnet, that's for certain.

Boolit Master

One other problem with copper washed steel cases is if you use lemishine or citric acid and have one or some in the mix. The citric acid reacts with the steel and will turn nice bright brass pinkish in color. I don't think it harms the brass in any way but discolors the brass. Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy
    9mm cases are extremely common. After awhile you'll have collected so many RP and Win cases that you don't need to bother with the others.

Boolit Master
    I found some SIG 9 mm brass washed steel cases after my last range trip.

Boolit Master

I just came across a few x-treme brass colored steel cases. Besides not reloading steel cases the only brass I will NOT try to reload is CDC, which as stated already has very thick walls that prevent a loaded cast bullet from plunking'. My eyes, are just too old n weak to try sorting them tiny headstamps.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I use a harbor freight magnet on a stick to find steel cases in the brass pile. Was surprised to start finding these “brass/steel” cases. I also notice the guys at the scrap yard running a magnet over the bucket too.

Boolit Buddy
    I run a magnet over all my brass. Started finding brass washed steel 9mm cases about three years ago. I've also found many 5.56 cases.