Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: W231 with 100gr DEWC .38 Special +P

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

W231 with 100gr DEWC .38 Special +P

Looking for reload data for a 100grain lead DEWC with 0.38 Special +P using W231, can't seem to find anything on this round. This will be used in a Ruger LCR 1.875" barrel length.

Interesting info I found is that the lighter the bullet the more powder is needed since the faster bullet increases the barrel volume and the powder doesn't have time to pressure, also I am guessing this effect would be magnified with the short barrel...

another suggestion that seemed interesting as well is that it would be hard to over charge this round???
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Grand Master
    I would ignore any source that says you cannot overcharge a .38 Spl with 231.
    Don Verna

Lyman Handbook: 90gr. RN Max 231 5.7gr. Lee 105 SWC 5.3 Max so take this as worth what you may. The double ended wadcutter will likely seat deeper, so there's that to consider. If it were me, I'd start in the low to mid fours. Proceed with caution. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would ignore any source that says you cannot overcharge a .38 Spl with 231.
    This.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    I use 2.9 grains W231 with a 148 grain DEWC. That's a longer bullet so its not a direct comparison.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have loaded 75 grain wadcutters with 4.0 grains of WW-231, OAL ~1.16. With your boolit, I'd start at 3.8 and load up to 4.6, but no higher.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

You've made an interesting choice in bullet/bullet weights for a snubnosed 38spl. A couple years ago I tested a 115gr "indoor"swc/crammer #33, bullet on the right.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I was getting 1100fps out of a 2" bbl'd charter arms undercover with a hot load of unique (7gr).

My 25th edition (1986) hodgdon manual lists 6.0gr of hp38 for a 110gr bullet/38spl p+ load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Lyman Handbook: 90gr. RN Max 231 5.7gr. Lee 105 SWC 5.3 Max so take this as worth what you may. The double ended wadcutter will likely seat deeper, so there's that to consider. If it were me, I'd start in the low to mid fours. Proceed with caution. Gp
    thank you sir that helps, good reference point

I used Quickload to give me a starting point and tested 4.9 grains W231 bullet seated flush, it chronied at 975 fts avg for 10 shots. I was really surprised at how fast it was, mild round manageable recoil, no excessive pressure signs on spent cases. Looks like I have some room to increase if I wanted too, but really I was pleased with the result at met my expectations for a SD round.
    Last edited by Cane_man; 09-12-2023 at 01:11 PM.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    You've made an interesting choice in bullet/bullet weights for a snubnosed 38spl. A couple years ago I tested a 115gr "indoor"swc/crammer #33, bullet on the right.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I was getting 1100fps out of a 2" bbl'd charter arms undercover with a hot load of unique (7gr).

My 25th edition (1986) hodgdon manual lists 6.0gr of hp38 for a 110gr bullet/38spl p+ load.
    Another good reference point, thanks.

This round is my "old man" SD defense round... manageable recoil easy to get on target. The wadcutter is an excellent penetrator, and when oven hardened to over 20 BHN it makes an excellent SD round in the snubby Ruger LCR .38 Special. the 100 grain wadcutter moving at 950 fps delivers similar energy as the traditional 148 grain HBWC moving at 800 fps.