Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going spotlighting, what caliber do I need?

Boolit Grand Master

I helped my Daddy fight a loosing Mole war in his yard for years .
    We were at the Hardware store trying to find a poison or trap that might work better than the stuff we had been trying . So we asked ... what works best ?
    The owner of the store , I know this sounds crazy but we have these electronic stakes , you drive into the ground and the moles hear the constant noise / vibration , they don't like it and move ... I swear . He said that since Dad was such a long time good customer ... if they didn't work , he would refund his money !
    We followed the instructions and slowly , one by one the moles left .
    He only got 4 stakes and just moved them around , after a while they all eventually went away . The traps and Poisons we were using always bothered Dad , he didn't want a child or dog/cat getting hurt ... but the electronic repellers ...they were safe .
    His took a battery but now some have Solar Cells for power .
    the name was Pest Guru ... strange but they did the job .
    Dad kept the repellers just in case !
    If the things made any noise ... neither me nor Dad could hear it ... it must be low .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    22 magnum, just in case a cape buffalo interrupts your fun. You always want some thing quiet, but must have enough oomph to deal with the unexpected.

Boolit Buddy
    Light load backwards hbwc in a 38 spl case works well on armadillos. Also less ricochet risk than a .22.

Well rained the other night, didn't get out, just walked back in. Dang, I've seen a few in the day, but this guy saw my flashlight at 30 yards and he hightailed it back down the hill towards a pond, I go off one shot, but missed him by a mile. I'll be more careful tomorrow night, I don't expect him back for a few hours.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Connect a hose to the exhaust on your mower and run it down their hole. The carbon monoxide should do the trick...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Well, night before last the Aussies(Floyd and Pepper) actually earned their Gravy Train by killing the latest nocturnal digging visitor.
    Bully sticks were given out for a reward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by technojock View Post
    Connect a hose to the exhaust on your mower and run it down their hole. The carbon monoxide should do the trick...

Tony
    It will, but it's not nearly as satisfying and seeing the hit.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Well, night before last the Aussies(Floyd and Pepper) actually earned their Gravy Train by killing the latest nocturnal digging visitor.
    Bully sticks were given out for a reward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My last two terriers had fun a few years ago with a possum that got in their yard. Were really confused when it finally got tired of hissing at them and just rolled over dead. They started sniffing at it and walked away. He got up 10 minutes later and sauntered away and over the fence....
    I did finally put the dillo down. Almost stepped on him the other night and he went by me at his 30mph. Yes, they have been clocked that fast and he could do close to that speed. Last night caught him with his head in a hole and he didn't see me. Missed first shot, 30-35 feet with a laser sight. 9mm Got him second shot. About a 20 pounder. Huge. Supposedly they have a 10 acre area they prowl. Sure been all over the 4 acres or so around me.

Boolit Master

A live trap might be a good option!
    Eggs, fish, cat kibbles are all an option for bait. Mistakes can be released.
    #4 bird shot in a 12 works well. #7.5 in a 410 not so well unless you hit them with a wad full of shot. 22 works well, but my place is surrounded by neighbors and cattle. I don't want irate neighbors.

Long time ago a friend of mine had an armadillo digging up the place. He kept watch and one night he spotted that rascal in the moonlight. He eased on out onto the porch with his .22, took careful aim...

And put a hole through the stainless steel water bowl that his dog had turned upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Long time ago a friend of mine had an armadillo digging up the place. He kept watch and one night he spotted that rascal in the moonlight. He eased on out onto the porch with his .22, took careful aim...

And put a hole through the stainless steel water bowl that his dog had turned upside down.
    Lol

A while back the wife hollered at me to shoot this d -danged coon in the back yard at night. Made out the shadowy figure at the edge of the light cast by the porch light. a single shot from the 25-20 anchored it in place. Was surprised to find it was a porcupine I had potted. Why he was impersonating a coon I will never know.

Fifty years ago we used to eat armadillos (heh, and most anything else) when out camping. Buried armadillo under the mesquite coals, wrapped in foil with onions and new potatoes, coming back to camp in the evening and digging it up.

My only issue with live trapping an armadillo is what am I going to do with it once I catch it? Take it 5 miles down the road and release it? Why would I inflict damage upon a neighbor? I guess I could have taken him down to fayetteville and dropped him in one of the new lib subdivisions....

Boolit Master
    If you are jack lighting use a 22. Right between the eyes. This info from high school friends whom have since become law abiding citizens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12