Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going spotlighting, what caliber do I need?

Going spotlighting, what caliber do I need?

Yeah, now that I've got your attention, I'm fed up. Between the squirrels and the moles, my yard has never looked great. Granted it is mainly a pasture, but I keep the grass cut on the 3 acres. Well about July I started noticing random diggings. Mainly way out on the perimeter. But over the late summer, the holes have steady increased. Figured it was an armadillo, and saw him about a week ago one late evening. Just cut my grass and he's been working overtime. 'Bout time to end his digging spree. Just trying to figure out should it be with a 22, 38, 9mm or 357.....
    Probably will just go all out with the 357 revolver.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Got a 50 BMG? No such thing as too much gun when there is a Varmint to be dispatched . Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I had trouble with the gophers, pocket gophers, squirls, moles; got some of the pine Tree soap and sprayed it around; no more problem ??

Shotguns work best for me. They will run and blood will squirt everywhere if the caliber is insufficient for instant death. Sometimes they will get under a porch and die, stinking up the yard; would only use a 22 for a head shot.

I like the .410 the best,but have turned to other cheaper gauges.

You can walk right up on them and blast them.

Whatever a .22 can do,,, a .357 can do better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Oh, I know about the leprosy. The Marshallese who live here ate them a good bit in the past and several did come down with leprosy. I walked up on him the other day, but wasn't armed. Yeah, maybe my 16 gauge would be best.....

Boolit Grand Master

For that type of application, I like bullets that don't ricochet. The 17 HMR's or the 17 Mach 2 work well on armadillos.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    Shotguns work best for me. They will run and blood will squirt everywhere if the caliber is insufficient for instant death. Sometimes they will get under a porch and die, stinking up the yard; would only use a 22 for a head shot.

I like the .410 the best,but have turned to other cheaper gauges.

You can walk right up on them and blast them.
    .410 is fine, but 20 gauge is final.
    Naw, they both work I just wanted to say that
    I still think that they have 5 gallons of blood in them when hit with a .22!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I let my 13 y.o. steer the F250 in low gear from the back line of the hunting property to the front gate through forest and field. My hunting partner, Dave, sat up front while I sat on the tailgate. Off to the left, as we traversed one field, I noted an armadillo we just past waddling along in our direction, pulled my Ruger BH 45 Colt, and took the shot. My son, ever the forecaster of unintended consequences hollered, "It's a drive by!" Neither Dave nor I could see the world through the tears of laughter for the rest of the drive to the gate.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

May want to look into a milky spoor application. It gets rid of the grubs that moles and other critters eat. Two applications got rid of the moles in my yard/field, haven't seen any in a year.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

15 minute walk about last night yielded nothing. I'll wait a bit later tonight.... He might have heard me talking and left the county.

Boolit Master
    a full choke 10 gauge with about 2 oz of #6 shot should take care of problem

Boolit Master
    What kinda armadillos do y’all have there? Up armored?

I’ve killed thousands with various pellet guns over the years
    22’s too
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Heck if you can move quiet in the woods, walk up behind them downwind
    You can football punt them or catch ‘em lol
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    in all reality 12 gauge with 1 1/4 oz of #4 or 5 shot will give dirt nap to most all small critters with full choke you can probably be effective to 40-50 yards
    get a refrigerator box for some test patterns to be sure

Boolit Grand Master
    Fun read. I am not the Bullseye shooter I was back in the day so I would use a rifle or shotgun.

Don't know squat about armadillos. For my pest critters, a .22 is good enough but my longest shot is only about 100 yards.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    12ga to avoid needless suffering.

Boolit Master

Up here I have no "possums on a half shell" for Skunk, coon, possums, I really like 20 or 12 gauge shotgun with #5 shot . I also use a old 180 series Ruger Mini-14 with a scout type mount a 2-7X pistol scope with a built on laser plus a green "game light" . The last racoon I shot was not acting normal did not run when I went out the door it seemed quite interested in the laser approaching it on the ground so I know it could see . I have had a number of skunks and racoons here that were blind with a bluish raised area over the eye center have no idea what causes it and DNR has no interest .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Yeah, now that I've got your attention, I'm fed up. Between the squirrels and the moles, my yard has never looked great. Granted it is mainly a pasture, but I keep the grass cut on the 3 acres. Well about July I started noticing random diggings. Mainly way out on the perimeter. But over the late summer, the holes have steady increased. Figured it was an armadillo, and saw him about a week ago one late evening. Just cut my grass and he's been working overtime. 'Bout time to end his digging spree. Just trying to figure out should it be with a 22, 38, 9mm or 357.....
    Probably will just go all out with the 357 revolver.

IIRC, a .22LR is traditional while spotlighting. Of course you can use any caliber you want if you don't need to avoid the game wardens! I don't know if $5 (minimum!) per shot it worth the cost, but a .50 BMG could be fun if you don't need to have enough left over to eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast