Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: New to the forum hope this post is in the right place

Boolit Mold

New to the forum hope this post is in the right place

I am new to forum but I figured I could find some answers to my questions here. A local gun shop is celebrating 75 years of buisness. Its always been more of General Store that sold guns but in 1948 they became a licensed gunsmith and got heavily into firearms. To celebrate they are raffling off tickets to win an assortmenr of firearms donated to them from the estate of a recently passed local sportsman who loved that shop. Anyway I want to enter the raffle and see if I can win a few of the more pricy firearms. I would like to actually take them out deer hunting and target shooting too. They are all workin and fully functioning as they were kept in great condition. The rifles I am looking at are a Model 1860 Spencer Repeating Rifle (not carbine but rifle), dated to 1864 in .56-50 RF but Dixie Gun Works has the neccessary parts to make it a CF rifle. The next rifle is a Providence Tool Company Martini Carbine in .45-70 with U.S. branded into the stock and painted in yellow. Its kinda rough on the wood but the rifle is fine except for one tooth missing on the extractor still throws cases though. It is dated 1878 as well. Third up is a dated 1883 Springfield Saddle Carbine (Trapdoor) its in pretty good shape. Lastly there is a J. Stevens Single Shot in .32-40 Winchester date of mfg. unknown in decent shape. These tickets are pricy at $150 each but Im sure these rifles sell big online so I assume thats what the shop is basing their pricing on. What rifles are worth putting a couple of tickets on I am thinking about two tickets each on two of the rifles so four tickets in total. Anyone got any suggestions of which ones would be the hardest to let slip but also good for deer hunting. I hunt in Appalachain Maryland btw. Thanks

Boolit Master

First off welcome to the site P.R. One hundred and fifty dollars a pop for tickets for something that is not in your odds off winning sounds like a very steep price to pay. Why not take the $600 and maybe pony up a few more bucks for a sure thing at your local gun shop.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

I'm with RasyinNH. I can't say much about the Spencer. Any of the other 3 would be great for deer except the Stevens. If it is a 44 action you are limited to black powder pressures. If by some stroke of luck it is built on a 44 1/2 action it is everything a Winchester high wall ever was or will be. Slim chance, but it could happen. With a 44 you will have to be more particular about shot placement. good luck !

Man...I am so in tune with Ray! 2x$150=$300. You're on your way to buying something pretty nice for that amount. Honestly (I try to be, but sometimes tact is overcome with opinion!) none of the guns you have described in the condition they're in would find a home in my gun cabinet. Really--a yellow Martini? Save your money and buy a jewel. Oh, yeah.. welcome to the CB Forum. You've landed in a great place!

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 09-10-2023 at 11:42 AM.

Welcome to Cast Boolits! Great place & great gun gurus haunt here! As to your question....

"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Welcome to the Cast Boolits forum! Great people here and a wealth of information.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacRanger View Post
    Anyway I want to enter the raffle and see if I can win a few of the more pricy firearms.
    Honestly, I'd skip the raffle and purchase a modern replica firearm in a cartridge that's readily available.
    Older original stuff is subject to fatigue and black powder, with oddball calibers.
    Uberti and Pedersoli are two worthy of note.
    Just my two cents and welcome to the forums.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

We are actually going on our first real date (almost five years together) to a Gun Bash on Saturday. Raffle tickets were either $25 or $50 each (bought them awhile ago) for a selection of new guns. Much closer to my price point. Good luck and hopefully you will win something you like. Welcome to the forum.

Boolit Master
    If it were me, because I'm a sucker for antique firearms, and I don't hunt, I'd take a chance (one ticket) on the Spencer (probably not the others). I want an original Spencer.
    The high cost of the tickets might limit the number sold.
    Was the entire Martini painted yellow or just the US lettering?

Boolit Master

I have terrible luck with raffles I just consider it a donation to some cause when I buy raffle tickets so personally I would pass of such a high ticket cost .

I do hunt with such old guns they are effective if they are accurate enough for the game.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    We are actually going on our first real date (almost five years together) to a Gun Bash on Saturday.
    Good luck Mr. Wolf!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

About sixty-five years ago, I attended a boys club I was in (Demolay) dinner, where a "package" I really, really, really desired was being raffled off at one dollar (a lot of money back then -- I was working at a poultry farm at the time and got paid three dollars for each '49 Ford pickup truck I FILLED with droppings!) "Knowing" that two tickets would double my chances; and three would even make an increase of these odds -- I dropped all three of the dollars I had on me on ticket. Very shortly before the draw, a kid I could not stand -- Stanley W. -- ambled up and purchased one ticket. Yup -- Stanley won the package: A deluxe b b gun, a leather fringed bag for "necessities", an enormous selection of bbs, and even a bunch of targets.
    I'm now 75 years of age, and have NOT purchased a single raffle type ticket on anything since!
    Both my finances and heart became instantly "broke".
    I am sooooo in concert with other posters -- find one you'll like, and buy it.
    geo

Boolit Master

Welcome! Am am also in the skip the raffle and buy one instead. There are many good condition trapdoors and rolling blocks listed on the auction sites that will sell in that price range.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle