MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 50 beowulf die info needed

Boolit Master

50 beowulf die info needed

I have a barrel and bolt for this caliber. I stopped looking, around the Covid "crisis", to build this with an AR reciever. I have used the Lyman precision die set for a 458 SOCOM and wasn't quite pleased. I had too many sticking cases and that was with new Starline brass. Using the new brass, many would be very tight in the sizing die. These dies have the black coating. I used RCBS lube and Imperial sizing wax. All cases passed the Lyman case gauge and a Wilson case gauge before the sizing.

So any info on using the Lyman dies for the Beowulf would help.

Thanks
    Jim
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    Alexander Arms sells LEE dies for the 50 Beowulf. A friend had one and he had sticking brass. I convinced him to switch to Midway or Dillon spray pump lube. That’s the lanolin alcohol mix. Once he did that his problems went away. He had the LEE dies. I’m not a huge LEE fan but their dies I have bought have worked fine.

I’m surprised you had trouble with sizing when using Imperial sizing wax. It’s my go to for case forming and small batches.

What kind of press are you using.

Boolit Master
    RCBS Partner press. I forgot to add that I did not have the same issues using Hornady dies. Makes me believe the Lyman die is the problem. The black coating makes me wonder as well.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    Partner press should be fine.

Do you have the 50 Beowulf in Lyman dies already? If not, why not buy the LEE dies instead.

Boolit Buddy
    You can get the 50 Beowulf LEE dies from most retailers. You don’t have to buy from Alexander Arms.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I have a barrel and bolt for this caliber. I stopped looking, around the Covid "crisis", to build this with an AR reciever. I have used the Lyman precision die set for a 458 SOCOM and wasn't quite pleased. I had too many sticking cases and that was with new Starline brass. Using the new brass, many would be very tight in the sizing die. These dies have the black coating. I used RCBS lube and Imperial sizing wax. All cases passed the Lyman case gauge and a Wilson case gauge before the sizing.

So any info on using the Lyman dies for the Beowulf would help.

Thanks
    Jim
    If you're trying to size 50 Beowulf why are you using a Lyman sizing die built for 458 SOCCOM? Maybe you mis-typed the die set your having problems with but if not, I'm not surprised you're having problems.

Boolit Master
    I have used the Lyman precision die set for a 458 SOCOM and wasn't quite pleased.
    Maybe a bit more info. I have not used the wrong die. I loaded 458 ammo using a Lyman black set. The initial sizing attempts using the Lyman die were bad. I wanted to know if anyone else has had problems using Lyman Black dies.

I have some parts for 50 Beowulf. If I continue with it, I wanted to know about the 50 Beowulf dies. Yes I know about other manufactures' dies. I have many Lee dies. With the addition of the gauge, I would first buy the Lyman. But not if someone else is seeing sticking cases using Lyman dies.

I am sorry if I confused anyone.

Thanks,
    Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Much clearer now. Sorry for my confusion. Also sorry that I have no experience with Lyman dies to be able to help. Most of my dies are Dillon, Redding or Hornady. The "50 Beowulf" is what caught my attention in the first place because I have a friend who's trying to get started reloading and that is one of the calibers he will be assembling. I've been coaxing him get started for over a year now (he has most of the equipment needed) but it's been "low priority" for him until now. He just acquired a 32 Win Special lever gun and the price of the factory ammo is moving reloading up on his priority list.