Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: S-K bullet wax

Boolit Buddy

S-K bullet wax

I recently have gotten into .22 Match shooting and most premium bullets are heavily wax coated. Recently and I have become concerned about the damage heat might have on my ammo. I store it inside but shoot in 90+* temp. and the inside of my sitting vehicle can go 120*. I have been trying to take just what I need for a Match in a cooler, but then wonder if the unused ammo has been affected. How warm do you think my ammo can get before I should be worried?

Boolit Master
    In HOT weather, I keep my 22 ammo in a cooler, except what I take to the line.
    beltfed/arnie

Moderator Emeritus

You may wish to read the NRA's notes: https://www.nrafamily.org/content/ca...nition-go-bad/ The SAAMI people wrote, "According to SAAMI(Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute) standards, extremely high temperatures (over 150° F) should be avoided. The ideal storage temperatures is between 55°F and 85°F."
    Believing this sentence's recommendation, perhaps your vehicle may not be too harmful. However -- 12 volt Thermoelectric coolers have become most affordable -- I have a Wagan EL6214 Personal Thermoelectric Cooler/Warmer, 14 Liter Capacity -- a 12V Small Fridge for Car, RV, and Camping Use which cost me less than one hundred U S dollars. Great for a few water bottles and lots of ammo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wagan Cooler.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	317812 With this summer's unprecedented heat it truly was a God-send . I'd put in two frozen water bottles complemented with two more from kitchen fridge -- still lots of room for ammo -- and I'd be all set.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Cooler with some ice; take out just what you need for the match ? The heat will cause them to shoot higher, with more pressure, speed, and degrade; The long-range shooters in the sand box would lay their ammo out in the sun so they could get longer distant shots ??

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Cooler with some ice; take out just what you need for the match ? The heat will cause them to shoot higher, with more pressure, speed, and degrade; The long-range shooters in the sand box would lay their ammo out in the sun so they could get longer distant shots ??
    Not to in any way turn a message of communication into a social confrontation -- I had two very good friends who were, my term, "nut cases" vis long range shooting, both (sadly now deceased) who "started" at 600 yards. Both were very careful NOT to let (summer) sun on their ammo -- even with high 80*F temps they'd keep ammo in a shirt or trouser pocket to prevent the sun rays from warming it/changing its temp. You (BLAHUT) are right on that ammo in the sun's performance would change from resultant heat -- but, at least in the case of my two buddies -- it was something definitely NOT desired. At, say, 1,000 yards, their loading/shooting goal was to have all at 99.99999% or greater uni-formality from shot to shot.