Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for borescope recommendations

Boolit Mold

Looking for borescope recommendations

Although a part of it has been restored, I went totally blind a few years ago. The bottom line is I cannot see the bore of a firearm well enough to see if it has leading or not.

So, I suppose it is time to throw a little technology in to my efforts.

Do you have a recommendation for a borescope? Of course, price is important but I don't wanna waste my money on junk.

I got a cheap one with semi-flexible scope that plugs into computer USB. Works fine but the small mirror broke off. Get one with the mirror mounted in a tube vs one just wired on AND of the proper dia for your smallest barrel. IIRC it was about 25$ so no real loss, camera part works fine. I don't use it often.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I ordered a Teslong bore scope from Amazon for about $100. It has a 26" rod, three 22 cal. mirrors and plugs into my laptop. A set of different size mirrors is $20. I think they now offer the scope with the 5 mirror set for $110. There are several options including one with it's own screen.

You can spend a bundle on one but this one meets my needs. It gives a clear picture and is easy to use. I can tell if a barrel is clean and also spot damage. You might not like what you see, I have found that rifle barrels are very seldom perfect. That said, I really like mine and would buy one again. I have had mine for 3-4 years with no trouble. I don't use it all the time, maybe once a month, just a nice tool to have.

Several members here have one, maybe they will stop by and give their opinion.

I also bought a $20 "no-name" off Amazon that displays via USB on a laptop. Works fine. Only gripe is that it doesn't work with XP-Pro, so I have to drag out my Windows 10 computer.

I see that there are some now that display via smartphone. I'd do that, except I don't have one.

'Course there is the school of thought that says "This thing tells me things I didn't know I didn't want to know".
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Hawkeye (expensive professional level), a Teslong (very good and inexpensive) and Lyman (more expensive than the Teslong and not as good). I don't think you will find anything better than the Teslong for the money.

https://www.gradientlens.com/products/rigid-borescopes/

https://teslong.com/collections/rifle-borescopes

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...99/?pid=266555
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Teslong!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I also have the Teslong in both rifle and pistol length and have found them to be excellent inspection devices. What some folks do not know is that the mirrors can be focused for different bore diameters by turning the mirror and then locking it with the lock ring. They take great pictures and videos

Boolit Buddy
    I second the Teslong scope. It comes in different flavors: rigid, flexible, short, long; with a display, or without. Using a WIN10+ laptop can use it for the display via the built in camera app.

The picture is clear and the cost is reasonable.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    I have used it to show people looking to trade for old surplus guns, just what they were getting

Teslong bore scope

Boolit Master
    I broke down and got one on amazon about a year ago, $35 it is a lonove has a screen about 3x5 inch and looks kind of like a cell phone and long flexible shaft its coiled up I never stretched it out all the way with I guess camera on end it that fits nicely down a 22 rifle barrel has several doo dads that slide over the end like mirror and hook and I dont know what else slot for memory card records stills and video and it has surpassed all expectations for $35 while the Milwaukee one is $250 and has an itty bitty screen.
    ive seen others that look exactly the same in different colors with different names on them. probably all come out of the same factory in china

Boolit Master
    this is the one I got. I never had any experience with any others but this this has become super useful for lots lots more than just looking down rifle bores

https://www.ubuy.co.id/en/product/GQ...screen-w-ip67-

Boolit Buddy
    We use one of endoscopes here at work for inspecting areas we can't see easily. It's from Amazon (search B0972QT3P8). The tip is 5.5mm, so about 22 caliber. It's got a 5" screen, rechargeable batteries and allows recording videos as well as taking snapshots if you wish. The snake on it is usually flexible enough and is 15 feet long, so it serves a ton of purposes. There are also attachments with it to add a mirror or a hook to the end of the camera.

We've had it better than a year now, and we are super pleased with it. An impressive tool for about $60. If they ever say I can't borrow this one for a weekend project, I'll buy my own.

Boolit Buddy
    do any of the teslongs have the ability to focus?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lx2008 View Post
    do any of the teslongs have the ability to focus?
    Yes the mirror adjusts in and out to focus.

Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-08-2023 at 02:58 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Teslong!!!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

And,teslong makes caliber specific lens,no focusing,worth the extra money.

Boolit Master
    I've used a Hawkeye a lot in the last fifteen or more years and it's held up well. It was the only one available when I bought it. I'm not familiar with the later cheaper scopes but they may be fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    And,teslong makes caliber specific lens,no focusing,worth the extra money.
    The five piece set still requires focusing.

https://teslong.com/products/differe...nch-and-larger

This set includes one of each diameter side-view mirror:

0.2 in (5 mm)

0.23 in (6 mm)

0.27 in (7 mm)

0.33 in (8.5 mm)

0.39 in (10 mm)

Description:

This kit allows you to see more of the lands and grooves inside of large-caliber rifle barrels than you would with just the standard 0.20-diameter mirror.

These mirrors also help keep your borescope centered inside the barrel and thus maintain a more consistent focus as you rotate the borescope probe.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesman423 View Post
    Although a part of it has been restored, I went totally blind a few years ago. The bottom line is I cannot see the bore of a firearm well enough to see if it has leading or not.

So, I suppose it is time to throw a little technology in to my efforts.

Do you have a recommendation for a borescope? Of course, price is important but I don't wanna waste my money on junk.

There are a lot of them on amazon and e-bay that will get the job done for cheap ??