Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Dillon RL 450 JR B

Boolit Mold

Dillon RL 450 JR B

Anyone have an idea where I could get a powder die with a funnel for the Dillon 450 Jr B. Tried Dillon but they said they didn't have anything to help me. It is the old reloader that has a smaller powder die.

What is the ID of the powder die? Is it not .560” on the end the measure attaches to?

A piece of bar stock but would need to know the dimensions, if they are different and no longer supported.

I have never heard of an RL 450 JR B though.

Dillon does have what you need for an RL 450.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/20251

The actual powder die (and expander of pistol dies) will fit all of them (although the 4 digit Dillon pistol powder funnels have no expander, just bell/flare) The SD(B) and the 3 digit presses use the same ones, they have made different variations but they all fit the die the same.

If it’s a 450 JR it’s going to use toolhead/dies like an SD and that might be your problem depending on what you what you are looking for they are only for certain handgun calibers and use proprietary dies.
    Last edited by jmorris; 09-06-2023 at 02:16 PM.

I found this with a little looking.

The 450 Jr was discontinued in 1993 or so. There are two versions.
    Version 1) 450 Jr- uses a 7/8-14 die in station 1, has a plastic funnel at station 2 so weighed powder charges could be poured into the case
    Version 2) 450 Jr B-available at the same time, added an optional manually operated powder measure to the machine
    The first two versions were replaced later by the 450 Jr C
    The C version used Square Deal dies and toolheads in stations 1-4. Threaded into the toolhead at station 1 is only the decapping assembly.
    The 450 Jr and 450 Jr B can load handgun in a mostly progressive manner. You manually set a primer in the cup, and either separately meter powder or use the "B" powder measure to manually dispense powder into the case. Station 1 has 7/8-14 threads, so you can use it as a single stage to load rifle ammo.
    The 450 Jr C is only capable of loading the same handgun calibers that are available on the SDB.
    Parts, other than frames, are available for both machines.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/87762-450-jr/

Boolit Mold
    The Dillon RL450 Jr B is the version of the RL450 Jr but came with the powder measure that attaches to the powder die. I have the powder measure but would like a powder die that just uses a funnel so I can use weighed charges. The powder die expander/funnel won't work without the powder measure attached. The 450 jr came with an attachment that screwed on with a funnel. Dillon support tells me they don't make those anymore and they don't have a die that will work.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know if this is what you're looking for or not. The powder die is an "AT 500 Powder Die" part number 16629, and the plastic funnel is "Machine Parts|Plastic Funnel" part number 16617 there sold separately and use the standard 550 powder (metal) funnel. The 550-powder die is held in place by the set screw. I use these with my Dillon 550 when using stick powders like 4350-4831 that don't meter well in a Dillon powder measure so get weighed.

Boolit Mold
    Kinda, I need one that fits the smaller die plate for the 450 Jr. The 450 jr only uses the standard die in station one, station two which is the powder drop is a smaller size die.

Boolit Master
    Are you looking for the original manual push/pull with adjustable hopper?

Boolit Mold
    No, I have the original push powder measure, I am looking for a die like David s picture except a smaller sized die to fit the tool head of the RL450JR-B. Station two which is the powder drop/expander has a smaller body die.

Boolit Buddy
    Could you drill and tap your current powder die for a set screw as a similar set up to the 550?

Is this what you have now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon-RL-450-Jr-Progressive-Press_101227346_115055_017D76FA50A13A7A.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	317757

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    Could you drill and tap your current powder die for a set screw as a similar set up to the 550?
    That would probably be the easiest, set screw stops the internal funnel/expander so it can do its job, then just drop a funnel inside.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, drilling and tapping the current die seems like the only answer. Will give it a try. Thanks to all who gave me advice.