RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: winchester super x power point copper plated 22lr

winchester super x power point copper plated 22lr

so i wanted to do some small game hunting this year with my mossberg 352kb. i get out of work yesterday morning go to walmart and wanted to buy some “better “ ammo to hunt with. there is a groove cut all the way around all of the bullets and there is a considerable chunk taken out of the bullet. Also, i can litteraly spin the bullets half way around in the case. this isn’t normal is it ? I’ll be honest i havnt ever seriously shot rim fire other than my henry .22wmr once in a while

i bought the ammo at walmart in st.john’s. i’ll guess i’ll get a hold of winchester and get a re-fund. i had planned on getting some cci next but, should have gotten it to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 09-06-2023 at 08:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Three points to consider: it’s not necessarily “better” ammo, nothing abnormal about being able to “spin” the bullet in the case (lots of them do that), and if you only found one damaged one in a box that’s not bad when they’re making millions of them every day/week. If the entire box or most of the box is damaged then it’s worth reporting. Winchester rimfire ammo is better than Remington’s, but it’s accuracy is nothing to write home about. Better ammo is Eley, RWS, SKS, Wolf, and a host of other ammo made in foreign countries. Even some of the Mexican stuff is better than what’s made in N. America. CCI and Federal std velocity are better by a mile.

Moderator Emeritus

Take a few and try them for accuracy. You never know but I doubt they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Three points to consider: it’s not necessarily “better” ammo, nothing abnormal about being able to “spin” the bullet in the case (lots of them do that), and if you only found one damaged one in a box that’s not bad when they’re making millions of them every day/week. If the entire box or most of the box is damaged then it’s worth reporting. Winchester rimfire ammo is better than Remington’s, but it’s accuracy is nothing to write home about. Better ammo is Eley, RWS, SKS, Wolf, and a host of other ammo made in foreign countries. Even some of the Mexican stuff is better than what’s made in N. America. CCI and Federal std velocity are better by a mile.
    every one of them was that way

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Take a few and try them for accuracy. You never know but I doubt they are worth it.
    i’ll see what winchester says first. if they say there fine i’ll shoot them up. if they want them back i’d rather not shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Those look pretty standard for bulk packed copper washed 22LR. It will shoot fine, but it's not known for accuracy. CCI SV is where it's at for mid range accurate ammo.

Boolit Master
    yup. thats normal, most of the 22 ammo is produced in bulk, like millions of rounds a day in automated machines that move faster than human eye can see its probably dumped into big bins bouncing around a lot before it is packaged. but that looks like common bulk produced 22 ammo. lots of that bulk ammo is plenty good for shooting target or small critters, for me anyway. if you want better, like target ammo, eley, lapua, nosler, something like that.
    my opinion, those ones in red box are over priced for the flashy package. I prefer the 555's and dynapoints in 500 box. the shoot great and they are inexpensive. my all time favorite are they armscor 36 gr copper plated in 5000 box for $129, probably not $129 anymore
    Last edited by farmbif; 09-06-2023 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I'm not a picky guy, but I don't like the looks of that groove.

Boolit Master
    When it comes to ammo, it means nothing; As to what you like or want to like; What does matter is; What the gun likes ?? I have many .22 rifles and pistols, every one of them has a different like, when it comes to ammo; YES; all of them will shoot the .22 ammo, Just if the gun likes it; Then it will shoot it very accurately... Just because it cost's $50.00 a box of 50, does not mean the gun will like it; A number of years ago a girl from one of the military schools went and wone a national competition with club ammo; her gun liked it.... Don't over think it; just try many different kinds and see what shoots the most accurate for you ???

I had some a year or two ago that came in the red 100 pack like yours.
    I could only use it in my Single Six and had to push firmly to chamber them.
    They jammed my Nylon 66.
    They had feeding problems in my 581.
    They jammed a BuckMark and a Taurus PT22 right away-
    Other than Russian steel case .22 ammo I once had; this batch of Winchester was the worst.
    Shot a ton of Wildcat as a youth with nary a problem, though.
    CCI is my favorite but I have no problems with Aguila or Remington.22 ammo.

Definitely defective ammo. .22s are crimped by rolling them past what looks like a knife blade. Very fast process. The height of the blade was wrong when those were crimped. Instead of turning the mouth into that groove it's made a sort of cannelure about 40 thou lower. Might shoot, might not, but Winchester ought to be told about it. That ammo should never have left the factory.
    Cognitive Dissident

winchester responded and said the whole box is defected. once they get it back they will reimburse me. that’s good atleast. it was a quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I had some a year or two ago that came in the red 100 pack like yours.
    I could only use it in my Single Six and had to push firmly to chamber them.
    They jammed my Nylon 66.
    They had feeding problems in my 581.
    They jammed a BuckMark and a Taurus PT22 right away-
    Other than Russian steel case .22 ammo I once had; this batch of Winchester was the worst.
    Shot a ton of Wildcat as a youth with nary a problem, though.
    CCI is my favorite but I have no problems with Aguila or Remington.22 ammo.

i actually have 500-600 rounds of .22 but, i didn’t have any game points. i was also wanted to try some with a little faster FPS with my semi auto 352kb

i’ve been having some not good luck with winchester lately. actually looking back i’ve always had issues with winchester. winchester .22 wmr was the only wmr ammo that i consistent issues with in my henry .22wmr

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 09-07-2023 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    I guess when I go and shoot 22's I grab a handful out of a box, stuff it in my pocket grab a gun go outside and load and shoot. I never would have noticed that groove around top edge of case until it was just pointed out clearly here

Boolit Grand Master
    Its surprising how picky a 22 can be. I shot IHMSA for a number of years and had a contender that hated everything I fed it till one day picked up a box of Remington ammo in a brown box I had bought 10 years earlier. Had bought a bunch for plinking because it was cheap. The contender loved the stuff and my scores went way up.
    Last year came across an Anschutz 64 and tried a bunch of stuff thru it. Some match ammo it hated, along with other stuff, but liked the really high velocity stuff and took a shine to some Norma match ammo. If the wind was calm that day at the range, I have no doubt it would have put all rounds in essentially one hole @50yds

I've come to the conclusion that I won't live long enough to understand why .22 rifles are so picky.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have always had good success with CCI brand .22 rimfire ammo standard velocity.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    The grove in the bullet would have concerned me. The bullet spinning in the case not so much. I'd still have shot a few to see what happened.
    I have had some Remington 22 lr that the bullets rattled in the brass when you shook it. It still went bang most of the time, and was minute of pop can accurate.
    I've had Winchester ammo that they either forgot priming compound or it all fell out of the rim. 20+% fail to fire. Winchester was very good to work with and refunded my money.
    Every brand I have tried has had a dud or two once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I have always had good success with CCI brand .22 rimfire ammo standard velocity.
    After firing off thousands of rounds of CCI ammo, (grandsons helped a lot), it was such an event when I got a dud that I saved the round as a museum piece. Still have it. Have yet to find a companion for it.
    Cognitive Dissident

I'm with atr.

CCI is my first choice for .22lr or .22mag ammo. Federal tends to be second although my Ruger Mk III 22/45's love the federal auto match 325 packs.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!