Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Just need some cooler weather...

Just need some cooler weather...

I finally got around to getting everything I need for loading cast boolits in my Ruger Hawkeye Predator .338 Win Mag. I received my Accurate 3 cavity 34-220A today, (very similar to the RCBS 30-180FN profile). I'm waiting for some cooler weather to cast! Ain't no way I'm firing up the lead furnace with temps in the mid 90's!
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Lyman in their casting book state that their .338 win mag was a very good cartridge for cast. In fact one of the most consistent of all they tested.

I found my 338/06 to be a real gem and that was with the Lee 225 gr mold which is not as an inspiring mold as you are soon to be casting with.

Enjoy!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    And I thought mid-90's was cooler I still can't cast after about 10am. A long time ago I was casting in summer heat. A beat of sweat dropped off my forehead into the pot. Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    And I thought mid-90's was cooler I still can't cast after about 10am. A long time ago I was casting in summer heat. A beat of sweat dropped off my forehead into the pot. Not fun.
    Something like that happened to me some years ago. A drop of sweat, a sizzle, and a pop! I took to running like a little girl on hearing the sizzle, but I didn't get far enough, it got me with a big drop right above the mid knuckle of my right ring finger and burnt deep. If I'm gonna sweat, I ain't gonna cast!

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Lyman in their casting book state that their .338 win mag was a very good cartridge for cast. In fact one of the most consistent of all they tested.

I found my 338/06 to be a real gem and that was with the Lee 225 gr mold which is not as an inspiring mold as you are soon to be casting with.

Enjoy!

Three44s
    Last year's gun show I was looking for a suitable action to build a .338/06, but ran into a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in .338 Win Mag complete with Nikon scope, dies, factory ammo, brass, bullets, and some other extras for less than it would cost me to build a .338/06, less scope. So, I've settled for the magnum.

The RCBS 30-180FN design shoots so well in all my .30 rifles, (my M-1 loves it!) that I chose close to the same design from Accurate in the 34-220A. With the large flat meplate, it's probably an excellent hunting boolit also. I looked up some data in my RCBS Cast Bullet handbook, but forgot all about the Lyman C. B. book. Thanks for the reminder, I have one here somewhere.