RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5-55

Boolit Master

6.5-55

Had a 6 mm remington once and I think I still have brass, am I right in thinking i can make it into 6.5 -55?

I would think it would be worth a try. 6mm Remington is ~57 mm long. Expand the neck with a tapered plug, Redding makes tapered expanding plugs or use the newer Hornady dies with the "elliptical" expander plug would work the best.

Then full length size and trim to length. Try a couple and check for chambering, if it is tight grind a couple of thousands of the shell holder, make sure your press is camming over. Time to resize and see if they fit. After first firing, you can usually go back to a standard shell holder.

The case head and rim is a couple of thousands larger than the run of the mill .473 rim diameter you see in the US. I have not had a problem with domestic 30-06 head size brass in my Swedish Mauser, but I've only loaded light cast boolits loads.

I've actually made a fair amount from 270 Winchester brass. I used 270 because it came out of the scrap brass bucket for free and I don't shoot a 270.

With my 1912 rifle, I have not had to turn necks, yours may need it.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-04-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Not recommended to do so because the 6.5x55 base above the extractor groove is .479-.4805 (SKAN), and your 6mm/.244 is spec-ed at .471. I know a multitude of .270s and .30-06s, with .470 bases, have been formed to 6.5x55, but they are all undersized. Undersized cases can bulge and rupture, and accuracy will suffer.

I don't know if changes have been made to correct undersized US (Remington) and PMC (Korean) manufactured 6.5x55 brass, but when I started shooting 6.5s in the 90s, the "cheap" domestic brass was all undersized, with the same base diameter as popular .270 and .30-06 US cartridges, and they led to mediocre accuracy.

I'd pass on forming 6.5x55 from undersized brass unless it was as a last resort, and even then you should not load to full pressure loads (even if listed as safe for M94 and M96 rifles). Kiss any hope of obtaining max accuracy goodbye. I cut my group sizes by more than half by only using Norwegian (Kongsberg/Nammo), Norma, or the very best you can get, top of the line Lapua brass.

I don't know if Prvi Partizan brass has the right base size or not. Maybe someone here knows. Looking at current prices on the Graf and Sons website, Norma is cheaper than Hornady, and Lapua is cheaper than Nosler brass. You're never going to go wrong with Lapua brass.
    Last edited by muskeg13; 09-06-2023 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    Not recommended to do so because the 6.5x55 base above the extractor groove is .479-.4805 (SKAN), and your 6mm/.244 is spec-ed at .471. I know a multitude of .270s and .30-06s, with .470 bases, have been formed to 6.5x55, but they are all undersized. Undersized cases can bulge and rupture, and accuracy will suffer.

I don't know if changes have been made to correct undersized US (Remington) and PMC (Korean) manufactured 6.5x55 brass, but when I started shooting 6.5s in the 90s, the "cheap" domestic brass was all undersized, with the same base diameter as popular .270 and .30-06 US cartridges, and they led to mediocre accuracy.

I'd pass on forming 6.5x55 from undersized brass unless it was as a last resort, and even then you should not load to full pressure loads (even if listed as safe for M94 and M96 rifles). Kiss any hope of obtaining max accuracy goodbye. I cut my group sizes by more than half by only using Norwegian (Kongsberg/Nammo), Norma, or the very best you can get, top of the line Lapua brass.

I don't know if Prvi Partisan brass has the right base size or not. Maybe someone here knows. Looking at current prices on the Graf and Sons website, Norma is cheaper than Hornady, and Lapua is cheaper than Nosler brass. You're never going to go wrong with Lapua brass.
    Years ago, RCBS would tell you that you'd shoot your eye out if you formed 6.5X55 from any American brass with a .30-06 size casehead. You would blow your gun up, etc. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Then when the flood of Swedish Mausers hit the country, the domestic ammo makers all began offering 6.5X55 Swede ammo loaded with standard .30-06 size casehead brass. I haven't heard of a single instance of a rifle being damaged because of the brass used in it. I no longer own a Swede, but I wouldn't concern myself about it if I did.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I find this topic amusing. Folks have very polar opinions on it. The camp that says use properly sized cases and the camp that says make your brass from anything you find that works.

I think it boils down to what kind of accuracy you are willing to accept. A perfectly built cartridge that does not fit the chamber will give what kind of accuracy?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I was making 6.5 out of 6mm remington but did a horsetrade with a guy, my lead wheelweights for his 6.5x55 brass.

Boolit Master
    I vaguely remember a thread on forming 6.5x55 brass from .473 head cases a couple of years ago. I tried the search function but couldn't find it. In this thread (iirc) Larry Gibson suggested putting a 1/8" wide piece of scotch tape around the case just ahead of the extraction groove. Just one layer of tape was all it took. When the cartridge was chambered the piece of tape would insure that the base of the cartridge was centered in the chamber. Because the tape was right over the web of the cartridge, the case would not expand in that area. But the case walls ahead of this would fire form to match the chamber. The case walls are going to expand and fire form no matter what, but if the slightly undersized case is just laying on the bottom of the chamber the fire forming will happen so fast that the case body will be offset from the case head. With the tape in place everything will be centered. Of course the tape can be removed after the first firing. It might be prudent to just neck size the case after this. If you just want ammo that goes bang you probably don't have to do any of this, but the 6.5x55 has such good accuracy potential that it's worth an extra step if you want tight groups.

Boolit Master
    George Nonte's text "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" claims the 6.5x55 Mauser has a .476"" diameter for both the rim and case head. His conversion recommended using the 30'06 (.473" rim and head) as a parent case to form your caliber, diameters be hanged. If you feel intimidated by using undersize brass in your rifle, take a peek at Graf & Sons web site. They have 6.5x55 brass in stock: Hornady $54 (50), Lapua $125 (100), Norma $52 (50 and Prvi Partizan $39 (50). You can get the (hopefully) correct size brass with correct caliber roll marks for reasonable costs. That would be my way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    George Nonte's text "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" claims the 6.5x55 Mauser has a .476"" diameter for both the rim and case head. His conversion recommended using the 30'06 (.473" rim and head) as a parent case to form your caliber, diameters be hanged. If you feel intimidated by using undersize brass in your rifle, take a peek at Graf & Sons web site. They have 6.5x55 brass in stock: Hornady $54 (50), Lapua $125 (100), Norma $52 (50 and Prvi Partizan $39 (50). You can get the (hopefully) correct size brass with correct caliber roll marks for reasonable costs. That would be my way to go.
    Norma and Lapua WILL have the correct dimensions, guaranteed.

Does anyone have a Prvi Partizan (PPU) case they can measure the base diameter? PPU brass is plentiful and much cheaper than others and would be a good alternative, if it's manufactured to the right specifications.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5x55.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	317699
    Last edited by muskeg13; 09-06-2023 at 05:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    My thoughts as well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    This is just an FYI: If you want to get some PPU brass you better get some now. Because of the war in Ukraine eastern European ammunition manufacturers stopped exporting ammunition and components at the end of August. The news media says that they are going to have at least a 30 day moratorium on exports. The export shutdown is either so that the countries that border up against the waring nations can restore their depleted stocks (from transferring materials to Ukraine), or so that they can bolster their military's stockpiles as a hedge in case the conflict spreads across into their borders. Because of supply chain logistics, even after production and exportation resumes it is feasible that America won't be receiving any new components from this region for the rest of the year. A quick internet search will show that most of the 7x57 Mauser brass has already sold out. It won't be long before there's a shortage on other calibers made by PPU.

Boolit Master
    In hopes of getting the right size, PPU brass is in route. However the more I think about it I should have just made some with brass I have that already have even though it will have a .473 base dia. On another site someone mentioned that most domestic 6.5-55 cases come with the .473 base anyway. This is a 1894 Swede cavalry rifle and has a very short barrel. To legally import them they had to have a false muzzle installed to make the 18 inch requirement. I has no means to attach a scope and I will not alter it by drilling and taping. It came with a sporter stock and I would like to eventually find an original as issued stock, but they seem to be rare and expensive. I got my cataract removed and a new lense installed and will try to use the factory open sights with my new found vision. Thanks for all the great replies

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    In hopes of getting the right size, PPU brass is in route. However the more I think about it I should have just made some with brass I have that already have even though it will have a .473 base dia. On another site someone mentioned that most domestic 6.5-55 cases come with the .473 base anyway. This is a 1894 Swede cavalry rifle and has a very short barrel. To legally import them they had to have a false muzzle installed to make the 18 inch requirement. I has no means to attach a scope and I will not alter it by drilling and taping. It came with a sporter stock and I would like to eventually find an original as issued stock, but they seem to be rare and expensive. I got my cataract removed and a new lense installed and will try to use the factory open sights with my new found vision. Thanks for all the great replies
    I know you said you don't want to drill & tap, but you'll only need 2 little holes for a receiver sight. Easy peasy. Originally my M94 had a hastily "sporterized" stock with the fore-most section cut off. It was easy enough to find a short section of closely matching wood and graft on a re-formed front section. Sarco and Numrich had all of the other missing wood and metal parts.

Please let us know what the PPU case dimensions are. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13Jul23M94.4.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	317769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360183604_10231093754870391_6098428421056818627_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	317770

Boolit Master
    I just received some PPU 6.5x55 brass from Graf's.Cases measure .4765 at base of the case.Measured with a mike instead of calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I just received some PPU 6.5x55 brass from Graf's.Cases measure .4765 at base of the case.Measured with a mike instead of calipers.
    Thanks. That's a green light for me to place an order.

Boolit Buddy
    You might want to buy Prvi 6.5 ammo and shoot that and reload the brass. It’s hard to buy the brass, bullets and primer for the cost of Prvi ammo. Now if you are going to shoot cast that’s different.

Boolit Master
    Muskeg I would have little problem with the receiver sight and D&T to get it mounted , that's kind of a period thing that seems OK with me. Do you have a tip on where to find a stock like that? The one on mine id what looks like a Fagan and is not even close to original.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Muskeg I would have little problem with the receiver sight and D&T to get it mounted , that's kind of a period thing that seems OK with me. Do you have a tip on where to find a stock like that? The one on mine id what looks like a Fagan and is not even close to original.
    Drop in with little work? No, unless Boyd's will make you one. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/top-s.../mauser-rifles

I don't know if Mauser M93, M95 or any other Mauser carbine stocks similarly configured to the Swedish M94 could be made to work.

Mine was hastily sporterized by cutting it off forward of the mid-barrel handguard band. I was able to graft on the missing fore end wood and purchase the missing handguard and metal parts from Sarco and Numrich. I was able to restore to a close facsimile of original by comparing my work with photos of M94/14 carbines.

You MAY be able to re-work a M96 rifle stock to carbine configuration. I stress it MAY be possible. Someone else on here that can compare a M96 side-by-side to a M94 would be able to tell you better. Numrich has M96 and M38 stocks available at very reasonable prices.

If I were you, and if Boyd's couldn't make you one or if it would cost too much, I'd get one of the Numrich used M96 walnut stocks and work from there. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/4210

Boolit Master

In 1970 I bought 100 pcs of Norma 6.5x55 marked Re, for empty reloadable cases. I've lost half a dozen to neck cracks from tension stress over time. But I have the rest of that brass but I couldn't say how many times they've been loaded. You won't go wrong with Norma. I have a couple hundred other Norma purchased over the years, one box of R-P and possibly some nny given to me by a friend. For the last 15 years or so I've been using the pulled down m/12 kammerpatron primed cases sealed in the case of 1,400 in 1963. It was once fired before it when through the m/12 load process. Swedes make excellent brass. I know lots of fellows talk up Lapua but I'm a Norma fan.

Yesterday there was a Swede 1894 stock on ebay. You're right, they are expensive because there's lots of demand. Personally, I wouldn't waste the $$$ on a carbine stock to make your carbine pretty. It'll always be a child lost from the village, an orphan of sorts being now less than what it was born with. Its a sad story really.

Headstamp C.A. 6.5x55 is Century Arms in Vermont. They are Norma-made. Sold in about the mid-1980s for 10 bucks a box. I bought a few boxes at the time.

I always bought factory ammo from Norma when it was on sale... which was mostly $10 a box.

Swedish Mausers loaded with *cast* bullets in Swedish military brass. Tell me what's better than that?
    (that was a rhetorical question).

Boolit Master
    i think that it is foolish to reform brass that is too small at head diameter. if you are that poor; you should not be shooting, but feedingf your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast