Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High school kids/ wannabe car thieves

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    So my town/ block has had some problems with teenage kids (13-15) that keep trying to get into empty cars and playing typical low level annoyance stuff.

Last night at 12:30 I caught them messing with a family members car. They ran off and hid behind my neighbors gate. So I called 911 for the break in attempt and they got away probably 45 seconds before the cops actually showed up.

I’m not gonna shoot a kid for failing to break into a car. But I’m childish enough to play with them.

Anyone ever thought about casually tossing those Air-soft grenades at those non-actually-a-threat more of a nuisance kid mischief stuff? Airsoft are toys so it shouldn’t hurt to bad. But after watching some youtube they seem pretty loud.

I think I’d get a chuckle out of hearing their response to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WE HAVE 10 YEAR OLDS WITH GUNS STELLING CARS HERE IN MINNEAPOLIS; Future does not look good !! In the past if you stole someone's ride and were caught it was get a rope and find a tree; we need to go back to that; doesn't matter if it's a horse or a car; get a rope and find a tree....
    JUDGE ISAAC PARKER; got everything back to law and order, fast; we need this again !!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Sorry try this:…...
    Kenstone, How do you recharge the cameras? Do they have to be removed from mounted locations for recharge? Or can you buy spare batteries and swap them out (so you don’t have to readjust camera angle) without moving the camera?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Kenstone, How do you recharge the cameras? Do they have to be removed from mounted locations for recharge? Or can you buy spare batteries and swap them out (so you don’t have to readjust camera angle) without moving the camera?
    Good questions...

You have to remove the camera and charge it at the homebase.
    How often depends on the settings of each individual camera.
    You can configure the trigger area for each camera, have it viewing the road/sidewalk and it will record every car/person, thus using up the batteries sooner.
    My driveway camera catches me coming/going in my car or on foot, so that camera gets charged more often, like every 6 months.

My cameras are mounted low and only require a step latter to remove for charging.
    I have that camera accessed on my phone when re-hanging it so I can re-adjust the camera angle.
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    It sounds like just the thing I've been thinking about getting.
    Awhile back we put cameras up.
    I didn't want to be crawling around in the attic running wires, so I got a system that runs off the house wi-fi.

It was from Lorax, and has 6 wireless cameras. The batteries last a few months. I got a spare battery
    so when one runs down, I swap it with the spare so I only make one trip up the ladder.
    They also have optional solar chargers for each camera battery too.

I think the entire system was around $400. It has a base station/monitor, a signal booster, plus you can get
    notifications on your phone also.
    The cameras also have night vision, and serve as a intercom so you can talk back & forth with them.
    They store a BUNCH of videos before they over write their memory or you can pay for long term off site storage.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Get a Rottweiler. Expect retaliation.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think sugar in the gas tank causes problems because the sugar ends up on the cylinder walls and rings and when the engine cools down, it locks the rings in place, cannot expand or rotate.

Boolit Master
    If the dog bites, the dog will be arrested.
    Wife just produced a old broken down eight pound dog from the animal league.
    Now I can hip carry a concealed dog, the holster doesn't print through him.
    Or his sling has a pocket for a 1911, neat rig for Wal-Mart.
    He is a fine automatic doorbell, Chico the alpha chihuahua knows his boundaries.
    Amazon driver steps on the driveway, we know we have a package.
    Grammar's service doggie, she's deaf, he isn't.

Moderator Emeritus

My puppy is the 175lb Great Pyrenees and my GF's pup is an 80lbs German Short Hair Pointer (both in my avatar pic). When outside, they let you know when their is activity about an 1/8th mile away (mountain area with no homes near us). Inside when they are all comfortable with me watching TV or something, I am the one who hears or sees a reflection change, etc.. Still wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of their personal attention if in wasn't there to tell them it is ok.

Boolit Master
    When I was young, folks used rock salt. My backside still stings just from thinking about it. When I went to work in the bodyshop at 13, the shop truck was a real "sleeper". Early '60's ford pickup, painted by hand with a brush. It had the 429 and rear end out of a '71 Mach I. There was a boat battery switch low on the dash which if I remember this correctly in one position would be normal and in the other would disconnect the negative battery terminal and run the positive through a model A coil to the body work. You had to leave the window down and be very careful not to touch the metalwork when turning the switch. I don't think there was any draw until the bodywork was grounded, like by somebody touching the door handle

Boolit Grand Master
    We are not going to make it.
    Don Verna

A model T "trembler" coil would do that, but it would run the battery down. Model A had a normal coil with points in the distributor.
    Cognitive Dissident

The ignition coil of Justice. Do you just go check the garage after you hear a stranger yell really loud after they got shocked by 20,000 volts?

I wonder what happens if you simply connect 110vac to the primary of a car coil? Would the insulation stand it?

There are car alarms that sense the capacitance change when a human body gets close to the bodywork. You don't even have to touch it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I wonder what happens if you simply connect 110vac to the primary of a car coil? Would the insulation stand it?

There are car alarms that sense the capacitance change when a human body gets close to the bodywork. You don't even have to touch it.
    The coil would probably burn out instantly and it might be pretty spectacular. If someone was injured by you putting 110VAC to the coil it's likely that you would be prosecuted.

Fortunately I live in a state where we're legally permitted to use force to protect life AND property. I don't trust the county DA, though. Funded by Soros.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I wonder what happens if you simply connect 110vac to the primary of a car coil?
    You'll look like Uncle Fester on the Adam's Family when something blows up in his face.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Well, there's always electric fence chargers.

What any of these HV tricks will do to modern car electronics isn't likely to be pretty. Or cheap.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Windshield washer pump, a sprayer above each door. Load the sprayer tank with skunk piss mixed with pink dye... can either have a remote sensor set it off or use a hand held remote to get them when they are facing the car with the nozzle in their face...
    I like it, but somewhat curious on how you would collect the skunk piss.
    Kind of thinking liquid hog manure myself.

Boolit Grand Master

There is always the old toolmakers stand by Prussian blue. Is also now known as dykem 109 hi spot blue. Its used for spotting in sliding fits and finding the hi spots when hand fitting. It dosnt dry and cant be felt on the skin. A small dab underneath each door handle and they will be colored from head to hands and arms. do each side in a different color and youll know which side they were on. It dosnt wash off will stain skin and dosnt dry. It comes in blue red green and yellow.

This is psychological but works also, and if you do know them watching the results can be fun. Set a motion detector light so it lighting delays slightly. you want them in front of the window when it lights. A note with separate lines in black magic marker. I know who you are. I know what your doing. I know where you are

Boolit Buddy
    The dogs started barking. I picked up a pistol and went outside. There was a doofus sticking out of the roof of my jeep. Had slit the top and dropped in headfirst to see what he could grab. Pissed me off because the doors were unlocked. I yelled and a shot from the escape vehicle pinged off the brick mailbox right beside me. I took cover behind the mailbox and mag dumped the car. It careened off. Cops came by and said good job. Scary situations when every kid had a glock in their belt and don't care if they use it or not.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I think sugar in the gas tank causes problems because the sugar ends up on the cylinder walls and rings and when the engine cools down, it locks the rings in place, cannot expand or rotate.
    Mythbusters tested this, nope. Only thing it did was clog filters and injectors...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast