Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: S&W 34-1 question

Boolit Master

S&W 34-1 question

I have a nice old S&W M34-1 and tonight I won an auction on Gun Broker for a complete parts kit from Gunbusers for the 34. I bought it mainly for the target grips that were included but the spare parts will serve as spares for my current gun. I got to thinking about the cylinder that I will be receiving and here is my question. Would it be feasible to have the spare cylinder rechambered to 22Mag? I know that the bore size on the 22LR is a thousand smaller that the 22Mag. Would this be a problem? Thanks

wcp

Boolit Master
    Did you slug the Barrel on the Old Pistol.
    Who knows.
    It might be a little worn and the larger bore diameter you will need for the 22 mag.
    But for the most part.
    A 22 LR bore is just a little tight for the 22 mag larger slug.
    Plus the mag is a higher pressure cartridge.
    The tight bore might cause the pressure to go up even more.

Boolit Grand Master

Not recommending it or not recommending but I know of several Single Six's convertibles that have been rebarreled to .222" barrels. They haven't had issue firing 22 Mags.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    Had no idea, and never heard that the bores were different....I have several revolvers that have both a 22LR cylinder and a 22 magnum cylinder. Have shot both thru the same barrel on these guns, without issue. I just got rid of a 34-1 and will probably regret it. I don't see why it couldn't be chambered for 22 magnum.