MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tent stove

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    For several years I've noticed that Sportsman's Guide sells a line of outdoor woodstoves for tents. They appear to be made of sheet steel. I have no experience with them, so no recommendations other than that you might check them out.

When in the Army in the '60s I encountered a sort-of universal stove they had for tents and awful concrete block barracks at Grafenwhor that would burn wood, coal, or oil. Later I saw some being sold as surplus and they were pricy for the times at about $200 each. I don't know if any of them are still around.

One of my few neighbors was using firewood when I moved here about 6 years ago. The very next year he bought a large pellet stove, which served him well for 2 years. It had an electric fan, as most do, to force the warm air out into the room and an electric auger to feed the pellets into the firebox. The electricity went out for a couple of days and he got pretty chilly, so he bought a "Big Buddy" propane heater and was feeding it with the 7 gal. propane tanks.

Of course, the electricity came back on, but the next winter the pellet stove's motor burned out and there was about a 3 month wait for a replacement from.....yeah,-- China. So Big Buddy went back into action for 3 or 4 months, and he said he was getting about 5 days per 7 gal. tank, but the house was warm enough. His wife headed out for warmer climes, to return in June.

Now he's got one of the gravity feed pellet stoves, and uses a portable fan set behind it to push the warm air. I have yet to see it. This coming winter will be the test.

I'll stick with the firewood as long as I'm able. I've been around it most of my life, and think the heat from a wood fire is hard to beat. The only persistent problem I have with it is that the stove pipe from the stove out through the wall into the outside chimney plugs up about every 2 1/2 - 3 months. This involves digging a path through the snow to the outside chimney, taking out a plug, and running an electric drill with a flexible rod that has an end on it resembling a weed whacker to clear the soot out of the pipe.
    Attachment 317564

I've got about one month to 6 weeks to get this split, stacked, and tarped before serious winter gets here.Attachment 317563

There's a similar pile waiting behind the house!
    Attachment 317565

DG
    Looks like a pine wood or spruce that has a a lot of pine tar in it. May be free burn once a week?? Hope you a safe winter weather just starting to change here.

I've also been using a wood tent stove in my tent for many years and I've found that the Pomoly is a good option for me. It's versatile, efficient, and made in the USA. It's also a great option for cooking and heating.
    I've used it in a variety of conditions, from mild weather to extreme cold, and it's always performed well. It's also very easy to use, with three Pomoly grates so I can cook multiple meals at the same time.