MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Stevens 44 1/2 22 LR

Stevens 44 1/2 22 LR

Came across a good mechanical condition 44 1/2 Stevens , cosmetically it's rough. It does have a original marble rear sight though.

It's currently in 22LR with a half oct/round barrel.

I was thinking of converting it to centerfire however looking around I don't see a lot of info on how to go about that. Is this something that is doable. I see some centerfires in some very eclectic calibers. I have a friend who expressed interest in building a 30 cal rook or something and was looking at the action as a candidate.

I kinda think 38spl would be fun, I don't think 357mag would be a good idea.

Thoughts on conversions? Or maybe just restore it as a 22lr
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    You could try giving Gail a call at CPA rifles they produce several versions of the 44 1/2 rifle and supply parts to get originals back in running order.

Boolit Buddy
    The 44 1/2 (unlike the 44 action) is a true falling block action and is strong enough for a wide variety of centerfire rounds (within reason given the age and metalurgy). The chamberings you mention should be no problem, including 357 Mag.
    However, why not leave it a 22rf?
    CPA Rifles specializes in the Stevens single shots and can provide barrels and CF blocks for the original 44 1/2 or their slightly improved proprietary 44 1/2 reproduction.

Buy it if you can afford it. The 44-1/2 is IMHO the best falling-block single shot that America ever produced. A simple swap-out of the breech-block will make it a centerfire, capable of handling high-pressure wildcats from the '40s and '50s. Being a takedown, barrel swaps are a breeze.

BTW CPA has changed hands, and pretty soon you won't be talking to Gail anymore. The new regime is just as friendly and responsive, however.

https://www.cparifles.com/
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-03-2023 at 08:38 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    With a centerfire breechblock (original or the replica available from CPA) and the proper extractors, a Stevens 44-1/2 ought to be good for rifle calibers up to .30-30 head size. Or .38-40 and .44-40 in the Winchester repeater calibers.

Ned Roberts tweaked one up and chambered it for his .25 caliber experiments on the .30-40 Krag round that culminated in the .257 Roberts, but the barrel shank (AFAIC) is a little skinny for long-term shooting of 50,000psi cartridges of that size. Ditto for .44 Magnum. A .357 Magnum might be doable, but the firing pin is slanted in the Stevens breechblock so the hole is an oval shape, and kind of oversized for high-intensity cartridges. The hole can be bushed and made smaller, but it will still be oval and still may allow primers to flow back, making the gun hard to open. Don’t ask me how I know this.

But if I had your rifle, I’d reline the .22 barrel (if necessary), get a centerfire breechblock and appropriate extractor(s) and go on the scout for centerfire barrels. All the extra barrels I’ve found index up close on the receivers I have (less than 1/32 of a turn too far, at worst; never found one that didn’t turn in far enough) and are held by the set screw well enough so that shooting the old fashioned, low-pressure calibers (black or smokeless) is doable, safe and accurate. I’d want a tighter fit on a hot varmint caliber like a .219 Wasp or something, but the old hand-tightened easy-takedown system on the Stevens rifles is, to me, “Ideal.” (Get it?)

I should be able to machine the barrels I need, I'll do some more research and see if a breach block is in the budget.

I'll take it to.the range this week and see how the current 22 barrel is.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Stevens 44-1/2

Attached is a picture of my Stevens 441/2. Ir was the only American single shot designed for smokeless powder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STEVENS MODEL 404 005.jpg  
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Turned out to be a 044 1/2 , anybody know if the extractors are the same? I'll probably end up replacing parts
    My firearms project blog