Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Classic Loader- found something interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Example (ymmv):

Cost of lead & WW's: $10 for 50#'s (or scrounge for free)
    Cost of Tin: $10 for 1# (or flea market for less)
    out of date steel, propane, 1/2 tank: $5 (flea market)
    Propane: $25 for 20#'s
    Turkey fryer: $10 (flea market)

[$30 + $10 + $10 + $5 + $25 +$10] = $90 for equipment

Make lead-alloy of (say) 49-49-2 percent Pb-WW-Sn
    Tin at 2% ==> 1.0# of Tin divided by 0.02 Tin per # of lead = 50#'s of lead

(50#'s of lead times 7,000 grains per pound ) divided by 124 gr. per boolit = 2,822 boolits (theoretically and probably a little less)

Cost of equipment = $90 divided by 2,800 (say) = $0.0321 (~3 cents) per boolit.
    Up here, WW and/or Lead is going for $4-5/lb = 50# = $200
    Tin... $25/lb = $25
    out of date propane tank = free at the dump
    Propane $25/20# = $25
    Turkey fryer $40-50... no one gives them away. but no one uses them = $40

$200+$25+$0+$25+$40=$290/2800=$0.10357, round up to $0.104/boolit

you can buy bullets with free shipping for around that... but where's the fun in that?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Mold
    Years ago, being 70 years old now, I tried reloading 9mm (.355) bullets in my Model 28 S&W. Loading them to (worked up to max velocities and pressures) and found them to be very accurate. Surprisingly so in fact. Primers were VERY flattened. The bullets did explosive things to most targets. Shooting off a creek bridge into soft mud (20 feet ro so below) would make mud rize up in the vacuum of the bullets passing to level with us on the bridge. I shot one round into a oil filter laying on the mud and when I dug it out of where the energy had slammed it into mud there was a perfectly round hole, .356" or so but the whole back of the oil filter was blown wide open, and turned inside out. Do not quote me, or use this load wihtout extreme caution and I accept NO LIABILITY for your carelessness if you do ignore the warning. The load was 20 grains of 2400 using magnum primers and a solid roll crimp. Recoil was very similar to my later .44 Magnum loads, and they were LOUD and you could feel the pressure tug at face and ear lobes below the muffs of that time. I only shot 50 0f them over 2-3 sessions, and never risked loading any more. They would open 3' wide and 3' deep craters in wet soil...and they were scary! I loaded them down, carried them in a S&W 19 4" on duty. I used Unique behind them. I do not recall the grains of powder, but they were accurate and due to the thinner jackets of 9mm's, opened up with a vengeance. Again, do not mimic these loading and BE CAREFUL experimenting. A Hand or a life is a terrible thing to throw away!

Boolit Mold
    I started out with the Lee Challenger Anniversary kit, mainly because it was inexpensive and I wasn't sure I would continue reloading after I started. I reloaded thousands of rounds with that press and still have and use it. Next I got interested in reforming brass mainly as a shtf caution. Needing a heavier press, in my opinion, I bought a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. I have both reformed brass and reloaded rounds on it and also still have it. Then I decided I wanted to reload a bigger quantity in a shorter amount of time so I bought a Lee Classic Cast Turret press to add to my collection and a Lee hand press for convenience. I still have and use them all, because they serve my purpose and I believe the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I have no opinion against any other brand of equipment, and I know from the reloaders I know who use other equipment that they work very well. I just chose to stick with Lee, even though I do have equipment from other manufacturers.

Boolit Master
    i was probably lucky ...I got a lee loader for 44-40 ,it was hopelessly wrong ,might have done 38-40 ...........However ,44-40 dont need more than a reprime to reload ,the case necks are always tight on a cast boolit.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    They are fun to play with. Got both the 10 gauge versions. Use them both for loading in my SxS and auto loader. They work excellent. I bought a roll crimper that I have rigged up in an old style drill press. About the only way I can find or get 10 guage…if I could only find 10 gauge hulls. I also just got a 223 and 22 hornet set here on PIF! They are soooo cool!!! They are for both my bug out gun set ups.

If the 380 cases, you want to "resize" came from your gun, you don't need to resize them but would need to flare the end to accept a new bullet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12