RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: herters c-press and pull downs

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    CH4D shipped the shell holder adapter and should be here saturday. I also ordered that plastic primer catch system. I know the colors original on the press but, i’m not crazy about the color. I may or may not change that.

i was able to get the spring working again on the primer arm with some penetrating oil. i’m going to take that primer arm off and put it up.
    I hope you try it out, by reloading some ammo...Maybe the 30-06. Mostly, to see if you are OK with dropping powder in the case which is held at an angle...OR if you are dropping powder off the press, then doing the bullet seating at that angle. I know thousands of people do this and like it, but I found it awkward. So, I'd hate to see you change the color of the press, and then try to sell it...although I suppose most younger people might prefer a different color than the original...it's probably just us old guys that prefer the original finish/color?
    Good Luck.

Fun Fact:
    I've owned lots of presses, and the only one I ever repainted, was a Lyman that was originally orange and painted red (over the orange) by a previous owner. I striped it to bare iron, then painted it orange, closest I could get to original (but not quite) and I disliked it so, that I flipped it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

herters c-press and pull downs

any one ever herd of 2540 gun powder ? that is what the guy i bought the gun, press, and ammo said these were loaded with. the labels that were on the boxes smeared.

at this point if i have to dump the powder it’s not a big deal. i feel like it was still a good deal. i’ve just landed a whole bunch of components for myself in 150 grain interlock bullets, brass,
    primers, and bullet boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 09-16-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I hope you try it out, by reloading some ammo...Maybe the 30-06. Mostly, to see if you are OK with dropping powder in the case which is held at an angle...OR if you are dropping powder off the press, then doing the bullet seating at that angle. I know thousands of people do this and like it, but I found it awkward. So, I'd hate to see you change the color of the press, and then try to sell it...although I suppose most younger people might prefer a different color than the original...it's probably just us old guys that prefer the original finish/color?
    Good Luck.

Fun Fact:
    I've owned lots of presses, and the only one I ever repainted, was a Lyman that was originally orange and painted red (over the orange) by a previous owner. I striped it to bare iron, then painted it orange, closest I could get to original (but not quite) and I disliked it so, that I flipped it.

so running cast bullets i would charge a pan with my perfect powder measure. weigh pan with powder on my hornady electric scale ( i have a beam scale to double check beginning, middle, and end of run ). trickle in powder to correct weight. grab a shell, put shell in my lee c press, expand case mouth with noe expander. hold case in my hand and use funnel to charge the case. eyeball powder charge looks to make sure it is correct. put bullet inside case mouth than I put round into my o-frame lee press and seat bullet. once bullets are charged and seated i’ll batch crimp with lee fcd die just to smooth out the case mouth.

9mm i charge straight from the lee perfect powder measure. i still use 2 presses to expand case-mouth and seat.

jacket bullets i do the same thing as cast except i don’t expand the case mouths. so only one press

this way i only have one case charged at a time and I never put the charged case down until i put in my o-frame press.

more than likely i will for sure use this herters press for sizing shells, case mouth expanding, swaging primer pockets ( i don’t currently have to swage primer pockets), and other shell forming stuff.

more than likely i’ll keep the lee o-press for seating bullets,

as of right now i’ll keep my lee c-press for a extra press and for lee push through sizers.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    any one ever herd of 2540 gun powder ? that is what the guy i bought the gun, press, and ammo said these were loaded with. the labels that were on the boxes smeared.

>>>SNIP
    Maybe it's 2520 ?
    Does it look like the photos in this link?
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...t-replacement/

I use Accurate 2520 for 30-06 with 180gr(jacketed), pet load is 43gr.
    I previously used IMR4350, but changed to 2520 because it meters so well, and found that accuracy was just as good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

herters c-press and pull downs

Maybe it's 2520 ?

I previously used IMR4350, but changed to 2520 because it meters so well, and found that accuracy was just as good.
    i have not pulled the rounds yet I plan on doing it tonight . the brass is a mixture of military and R-p remington. right now 25-30% of the brass has cracked necks and he put a hell of a crimp on some of them. he said his son took a bunch of the reloads and that their tack drivers.

oh well live and learn. Im still a head on the deal. i was just hoping to come out farther a head. i’ll have 400 bullets and primers. I don’t know if at this point i should keep the brass or scrap it. however, he has more 30-06, 38 special brass , a .38 special taurus revolver, and a couple molds i might try negotiating harder on.

Maybe it's 2520 ?

that is what kept coming when i was googling 2540.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back to the tilt of the Herter’s press: Some folks like a tilt and I’ve seen wedges cut to place between press and bench to obtain the desired tilt, while some folks used wedges in the opposite direction to eliminate the tilt of Herter’s or similar presses.
    You be you and do whatever works for you!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

You might note it has an adapter to 7/8-14 dies.
    Someone more knowledgeable about this might explain what can also be used with this press, ie. shot-shells dies etc.
    Started using Herters equipment in 1957 if memory serves me correctly.

Boolit Master

^^ I was just about to comment on that. That press may have the big bushing in it now. Take it out and get the shotgun dies. They also made an adapter to go right down to the Ideal/Lyman 310 dies. Very handy sometimes.
    re: reloads I only trust the loads from two guys, and he ain't one of them. Too bad about the brass. Looks like a funny kind of split. Like age on weak brass, not from reloading. I once had a mountain of loaded military 30-40 brass like that. It all went bang.

Boolit Mold
    Referencing GreenFrog's post, here's a Super U3. I still use it along with a couple Rockchuckers. The angle doesn't bother me and I see no difference in ammo loaded on either press. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3644.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	321941
    I pulled the priming arm, since I use a hand primer now, but have the originals and several shell holders and the adapter holder.

-West out

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^^LIKE^^^^^

Boolit Master
    I bought the Herter's C press new in 1971. I still have it but not in current use. Take the 7/8 X 14 thread adapter out and a Herter's 12 ga. shotshell die fits. It has a single die body and is reassembled for different operations. I have the 12 ga. die also, only used it once since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by WestDivide View Post
    Referencing GreenFrog's post, here's a Super U3. I still use it along with a couple Rockchuckers. The angle doesn't bother me and I see no difference in ammo loaded on either press. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3644.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	321941
    I pulled the priming arm, since I use a hand primer now, but have the originals and several shell holders and the adapter holder.

-West out
    Those Herters Super U3 are some really good presses. I have one and it always produced very accurate ammunition. I also have my Dad's Herters Super 3 that he bought new from Herters back in the early 60's.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I had to do my single stage loading, unloading, swaging, case forming, etc, the Herrett’s Super u would be my choice. I wonder whether CH4D makes a replacement ram to fit standard shell holders. With that one change it would become just about perfect!
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 03-23-2024 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Correct terminology

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12