Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage rifle scopes: What do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    As so many modern rifle scopes are treated as a dispoable commodity,
    That reminds me-
    We live in a disposable society.
    We throw away everything---- even each other.

I had a clean Weaver K4 that came to me, but like old cars and new ones-
    When people say, "Ohhh. They don't make 'em like they used to".
    I think, 'No, and I'm glad they don't. The new stuff is head & shoulders above the old ones'.

Awhile back, my neighbor inherited a 50s era Winchester .30-30, that nobody will never shoot again.
    We put it on his .30-30 just because it looks cool and is from the same era.

My older scopes I actually use only go back to the 80s. They were real good, and sort of expensive back then.
    A Redfield 5 Star, and a Simmons Presidential that was crazy expensive back then.
    I'd line 'em up with a new production scope of the type I use.
    They might not be quite as capable, but I doubt I could tell the difference.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I was at one of our monthly OAC collector gun shows back in June, and after the show I was wheeling my cart out the door when I looked over at the "donation table" where guys leave stuff for the club to sell. The setup is you see something you want, you drop money in a donation box that helps the club.
    So sitting on the table was what looked like a brand new scope! I picked it up, and saw it was a 3x-9x, and had a knob with markings for adjusting an electronic crosshair. The side of the scope read, "Leapers", which I'd never heard of? I looked through it, and turned the light adjustment, but nothing changed. No center to the crosshairs, and I figured that's why someone left it there.
    What the heck, I might see if I could fix it, so dropped a donation in the box and took it home. When I got home I set it on my desk, but before setting it down I turned the knob to zero. The next day I picked it up, and turned the knob to a low number and the crosshairs lit up! I turned it up and they got brighter! Appeared that someone left it turned on, and the battery ran down. I looked through our drawer of various batteries we keep around, and found one for our alarm sensors that is the exact same battery. Put in a new battery and the scope is perfect!
    I looked online for Leapers scopes, and found their website. It's actually a pretty expensive scope when it was new, and seems to be very high quality! Lucky me!

Boolit Bub

JW Fecker 10x

I have a JW Fecker 10x on a Winchester 1885 Hiwall in .22 Lovell. It has screw on caps that seem to seal it pretty well when stored. The glass is still clear and bright, and I have been able to hit a target with it. I noticed the scope creeps forward in the mounts - since it floats free in the external mounts. I think I've seen a spring on some of these to keep the scope against the stop. Anyone know where to find one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Win 1885 003.JPG  

The Unertl 3/4" tube small game is just the cat's meow.

Boolit Grand Master
    For hunting, an old Weaver K-4 or -6 fits the bill. My Schuetzen rifles have Lyman Super TargetSpots and TS Jrs. On my full benchrest singleshot, I’ve got a Unertl BV-20.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"