Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: rem .243

Boolit Master

rem .243

I don't know if this the correct place to post this so move if needed ?

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then,

Came across a Rem. 770, .243, bolt with scope, said to only have 17 rounds through it, looks brand new, along with 83, 100 gr. factory ammo and 17 once fired brass, and 1 extra clip. $306.00 total....

I think that was a good price for me ......
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 09-02-2023 at 03:02 PM.

If it’s a 700, you did good.
    If it’s a 788, you did REAL good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    have one 788 rem wife bought for wedding present beautiful little tack driver not much to look at but.... tiny little groups waaaay more attractive. I remember G&A did a feature on them in 80's touoting them as entry level but very accurate. You did well mine wont leave home for that kind of deal.

i’ve been noticing that a lot of used boats and guns are starting to hit the market place. definitely some good deals to be had if one can be patient. i’m sure come 6 months from now there will be even more deals to be had.

Suppose you'll be loading 90gn cast boolits now.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Suppose you'll be loading 90gn cast boolits now.

I may ?? Thinking 100 gr + would be better ? Bigger / heaver the better ?? Depend on what I fine for accuracy ??
    This rifle is mainly for grandsons ???

Boolit Master

you done REAL GOOD!! My old M700BDL (bought new in 1972 for about the same price you paid) will easily hold MOA at 100 yds with NOE's 75-grainer @ 1850 fps...no recoil, no muzzle blast! For more serious work, any 100-105 gr. JSP over a casefull of H4350 will get the job done.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds great to me! If it is a Remington 600 or 660 you did FANTASTIC! That was the second big game rifle I ever owned and it shot "bugholes".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

With the extras, that’s still not a bad deal.
    I had a 710 .270 and it was accurate. I’ve sighted in a co workers 770 .243 and .270 rifles and they shot well also.
    It’s obviously a low cost gun compared to the 700 so it’s not as smooth- but they work.

Boolit Master
    About five-6 years ago I saw a 770 in 308 on closeout as well as RCBS dies for the 308 also on closeout all at Walmart for about that. I bought it on a whim and it turned out to be MOA with cast 160's from the Lee mold right out of the box. You got a good buy. The scope it came with was awful but it has been a great gun. The only complaint I have had was the plastic bolt release but it still works.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Everything I've read indicates the 770 is actually a very good shooter. Probably as good a choice as anything for the typical few times a year deer hunter or to keep as a backup rifle. Guy on another forum stated he inherited one with a missing bolt. The current Remington offers zero support for it, not even owner's manuals, and Numrich has been out of them for a long time. I advised him to wait for a parts kit to turn up, or cut the receiver and sell it on Fleabay as the same.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

Remington took a lot of short cuts when they decided on the manufacturing process of the 770. One thing that was done poorly, was the bolt handle was spot welded onto the bolt. There were a ton of complaints online (with photos) with bolt handles breaking off. The fix was easy enough, just have it welded back on. There were other issues, I don't recall them right off hand.
    Bottom line is, if you got one without any of those issues, you probably got a rifle as good as their standard version of the 700.
    Personally I'd avoid buying a 770.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    No factory support and probably few parts available. But, as long as it works, just keep using it. The Savage Axis is about the only low cost bolt action I would buy unless the rifle in question was giveaway cheap. I have two Axis .308's and they are sweet. Also noticed the newest 110's can use Axis mags which is a big plus.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Remington took a lot of short cuts when they decided on the manufacturing process of the 770. One thing that was done poorly, was the bolt handle was spot welded onto the bolt. There were a ton of complaints online (with photos) with bolt handles breaking off. The fix was easy enough, just have it welded back on. There were other issues, I don't recall them right off hand.
    Bottom line is, if you got one without any of those issues, you probably got a rifle as good as their standard version of the 700.
    Personally I'd avoid buying a 770.
    The 770's were designed as disposable rifles. The barrels are not replaceable. In a comparison between the Savage Axis vs. Remington 770 vs. Ruger American the Remington 770 comes in a distant fifth place. I only know two people that own them.

One likes his 770 for a cheap truck rifle. The other one has serious accuracy issues with his 770.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/remin...ical-value-661
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-15-2023 at 08:26 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer