Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: need some with a plan for a new toy

Boolit Master

need some with a plan for a new toy

I found a 1916 pattern small ring last month, it has been re-fit for 308. This was an arsenal job, the bbl, reciever, bolt, & bottom metal all match. The wood is in very good shape also. Very little clean up was needed. always was a fan of small rings.
    My question is how to start working up a mouse fart load using a 311410 boollit
    with bullseye for this. Powders I have are, red dot bullseye, green dot, others. What I have been thinking is to start with 3.5 grs of bullseye, then work up or down as needed, trying to stay sub sonic. The rear site is 200 meters at its lowest setting, so may have to adjust load to match. I also have the lee 160 tl boolit, made some dummys with both & they feed fine from the mag. I'll
    be useing lc 87 brass for the cases, i have read the posts coveribg drilling the flash holes, any imput bout this will help.
    I hve used bullseye & the 311410 for gallery loads in a 03a3, & 3040 krsg with good results, just not sure where to begin this time.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Grand Master

I would have suggested starting a 3.0 gr Bullseye but a start load of 3.5 gr should work.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I was able to get a light load of 2400 to work decently, but the faster powders patterned.

Lower end data. Not subsonic. YMMV

Boolit Master

I, too, have one of those 'Gardia Civil' short rifles rebarreled to 7.62x51. Never tried for a 'mouse fart' load but mine really likes the Lee 309-160 over 17.5 gr. of 2400. Easily duplicates G.I. Ball accuracy at 100 yds.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Might add I shoot a lot of Lee TL314-90-SWCs [TL'd with LLA then sized .312] in my FR8 and a FR7 when I had it. I load those over 3.2 gr Bullseye for 900 fps +/- and excellent accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, as I have not loaded any yet, I'll try the 3.0 gr first. This rifle is for BAMM matchs, any bolt gun issued between 1880's to 1948. Speed is not all that important, just ringing the target this is part of cowboy shooting. The main reason for ussing the 311410 is I have a good anount of them & they feed very well in this rifle. I also hve some of the 314 swc's, may load a few & give them a try & see how they feed. I'm still at the starting stage , so any ideas are a big help. I do see alot of krags,03's mausers.

Moderator Emeritus

Be sure to thoroughly inspect your rifle.
    Back in the 90s, I bought two of the Spanish M1916 converted to 7.62 CETME.
    Both of them had a seemingly oversize hole in the bolt for firing pin. You could even see some peening dimples around those holes, like someone tried to close them up a bit. Just something to check out.
    Lastly, I'd keep any loads for them under 44,000 PSI.

here is more info:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...8-value-Advice
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Jon b, thanks for the link, good info. I checked the bolt over before getting to the counter, alway look at the numbers first & go from there. I picked up some us factoty cases to add to the mil-surp stuff I had, & just finished workihg them up so time to start working on a load.Have enough to do 3 batchs, starting @ 3 gr, 3.2 & 3.4 with the pc/ed 311410's sized to .309. Bore slugged 0.299x 0.305, near as my eyes can tell. Now to wait for LEE to get past us.

Boolit Grand Master

M1916s, FR7s and FR8s were rebarreled to shoot 7.62 NATO ammunition as per the Spanish manuals for said rifles. The 7.62 CETME round could also be used.

I have pressure tested some actual Spanish 7.62 CETME cartridges [still have some]. As to 7.62 CETME ammunition, it is the common statement that it is “lower powered ammunition loaded for the M1916, FR7/FR8 rifles”. Such is simply not true. The 7.62 CETME ammunition was loaded to ensure reliable functioning in CETME rifles pre fluted chamber. They used a lighter weight bullet and a faster burning powder to make the time/pressure curve quicker. That let the case contract prior to the extraction cycle starting. I measured the psi(M43) of 1962 CETME ammunition produced in Spain and it produces 58,000 to 60,000 psi. Not exactly a "reduced load".

FYI I also have measured 2 different lots of Spanish 7x57 (1950/1951) and they ran 59-60,000 psi. Some 1976 Chilean 7x57 ran 55,000+ psi. Found some DWM 1918 7x57 and it ran 54,800 psi.

M80 7.62 NATP Spec milsurp from various countries runs from 54- 59,000 psi. Most of the generic 308W factory ammunition will run in that pressure range also. The exceptions to that are the premium and "extended range" types which will push 60 - 62,000 psi.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla