Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes 6mm - .243 6.5mm - .257 molds?

Boolit Mold

Who makes 6mm - .243 6.5mm - .257 molds?

The title is pretty straightforward. I am interested in 6mm -.243 size moulds and 6.5mm - .257 moulds. Who makes/made them? I have not found a wide selection in the current new mould offerings. I want to know what I am looking for so I can keep a lookout for them in the used markets. Anyone have any suggestions?

BW

Boolit Master
    Lee makes some.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Accurate molds can make just about anything.

Boolit Master
    NOE, not sure but they have a 15% off sale right now for Labor Day.

Boolit Buddy
    I have NOE , RCBS and lyman but they are all older. I'm not sure what is in current production.
    I don't believe that Accurate goes that small in diameter. I just checked the Accurate site and the smallest they go is .27. I believe I saw a 25 caliber listed on the MP site but didn't pursue it farther.

Bill

Right now,my favorite...and most high performance 6mm Rem,and 260Rem moulds are both new'ish Saeco's. They're truncated noses sorta based on Eagan profiles. These are both well into jacketed "book" speeds with accuracy that honestly,folks just don't believe so why bother posting. Won't get too far into the weeds,or ditch but with these above moulds,they respond VERY well to tapered nose sizing.
    Good luck on your quest.

Boolit Master

In my experience, finding "in stock" 6mm/.243 molds can be something of a challenge. As noted previously, Accurate doesn't make anything small than .27 cal. However, NOE's catalogue shows a two designs "in stock" and Arsenal also lists two or three but these are only made 'to order' with a fairly long lead time. RCBS and SAECO each only show one .243/6mm mold in current production and Lyman has none at all.

You might try posting a "WTB" in 'Swappin' and Sellin'...that's were I got the NOE that I'm currently using.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    everyone makes them. if they are available all of the time is a different question.

Moderator Emeritus

BW,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Lyman has a Loverin design boolit molds for both 243 and 257 and 6.5(264/267)
    It's an all around good shooting design for typical rifles. Of course, you don't tell us what your application is, or what your plans are, so it's tough to give specific advice.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 09-03-2023 at 08:03 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I believe Tom doesn't offer anything under 27 caliber...something about his tooling setup?
    Nothing shows up in his catalog, anyway.
    https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=all
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    check aresenal molds, I like their molds a lot
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

RCBS -- 244-95 gr shot well in a Kimber Mont 243 - 1:10 twist --- NOE group buy 245-105 FN (pb & GC) shoots horrible in the Kimber and really well in MY 6-284 -- 1:9"

The RCBS is a nice mold to cast with.

Boolit Master
    GONRA's first cast boolits were Lyman / Ideal #266469 for 6.5 x 50.5 mm Japanese rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I didn't think Tom made anything bellow 7mm
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Lee makes the 6.5 "Cruise Missle" mold that works great in my 6.5X55 and Grendel.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA's first cast boolits were Lyman / Ideal #266469 for 6.5 x 50.5 mm Japanese rifle.
    i keep seeing the lyman 266469 brought up for 6.5 caliper guns. this must be one of the better 6.5 designs. the 6.5x55 has a lot of bullet sticking out of the case. are all of the lube grooves filled with lube ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    "i keep seeing the lyman 266469 brought up for 6.5 caliper guns."

The Lyman #266469 is real popular, and from what I've read here it's very accurate in the Swedish Mauser. I have a sporting rifle in 6.5x55 with a slower 1 in 9 twist barrel, and the #266469 didn't shoot well for me. I've had much better luck with the Lyman #266673. Saeco makes a bullet mold for both 6.5mm and 25 caliber. I have several Saeco molds (but not in these two calibers) and their quality is really good.

NOE is also a very good choice. They make bullet molds in the sizes that the OP is looking for. I own several and the quality of NOE molds is also really good.
    Last edited by 405grain; 09-13-2023 at 06:03 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    i keep seeing the lyman 266469 brought up for 6.5 caliper guns. this must be one of the better 6.5 designs. the 6.5x55 has a lot of bullet sticking out of the case. are all of the lube grooves filled with lube ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the NOE version of that Lyman mold.
    The neat thing about the 469 design, is the tapered nose, so you can seat it to touch the lands. Most people don't fill all the lube grooves with lube. Modern lubes are good enough, you don't need that much lube. I just lube my 469 so the bottom 2 or 3 grooves are filled. They are shot in a customized Jap type 38 but has the original Military barrel.

Side note, At one time I tried all the different 6.5 molds that NOE makes, my rifle didn't like the other three, but that has to do with the short tight chamber that was cut in mine (6.5x257R) by the custom shop. Most old military rifles have a long worn throats, and those other designs work in those conditions better...and that is also why others who use the Lyman 266469 for old military rifles will leave the bullet stick out longer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    BW,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Lyman has a Loverin design boolit molds for both 243 and 257 and 6.5(264/267)
    It's an all around good shooting design for typical rifles. Of course, you don't tell us what your application is, or what your plans are, so it's tough to give specific advice.
    Good Luck.
    Well I was trying not to bore everyone with a long post but since you asked....

I have a Handi Rifle in 243 as well as a Savage 10 in .243, and I am also saving my pennies for a 6mm ARC/PPC for the future.
    I have a 6.5 Grendel barrel for my Savage 10 switch barrel setup. I had a Grendel upper that I let get away and I hope to replace soon.

I also have a Handi Rifle in 25-06 along with a Savage 110 I put together.

I am looking to have the ability to cast for everything I have, and currently these are the "odd men out" so to speak. I have at least one mould for everything I load for currently.

I would like an 80 to 95 gr and a 100 gr for the .243

I think a 130 gr would be good for the 6.5

115 to 140 would probably work well in .25cal.

So I gather they are out there just have to look and pay attention.

BW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast