Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheapest Mauser you have?

Boolit Buddy
    While not a Mauser, the cheapest rifle that I still have is an 1891 Carcano (1918 date). I bought it in about 1960 at a local surplus store for $7.50. It was filthy and marked as unserviceable. Well, after taking it apart and cleaning all of the dirt and grime off of it I bought a clip of WWII surplus ammo, took it out to the country, tied it to a tree, loaded it and stepped way back with a cord around the trigger. Fired all 6 rounds with no ill effect so reassembled it and it was good to go.

Boolit Master

In 1998 I bought 4 turkish Mausers for $45 each. Three were large ring 98's anf the fourth was a small ring. Ordered through a dealer so din not see them until I went to pick them up. All looked acceptable so got them all. Had plans to build a 358 Win on one and decided a 30-30 would be good on the small ring.

With the current market I might consider selling a couple but I am probably still a few years from making that decision.

Also have a Brno 98 but it cost a little more, in the neighborhood of $80 at about the same time.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Went up the road a piece to help a friend with a door for his dog. he had a doggy door kit and I cut the super nice 3-0 8-0 door to the side of his hot rod shop and Installed the kit. I had little time in it and he insisted on paying me cause of the drive and time . After an argument I told him to pay me 2 hours of my time. he paid in cash and insisted it was not enough, then said how can I sweeten the pot. He owns an auto wrecking yard and had found a small ring in the back of a car, I told him throw in the Mauser, and he said deal. So i think I got it for nothing. Another friend and I bought 5 turks from SOG for $59. I got three and he fixed up one and years later I traded him 2 lbs of H1000 for the 4th one. I bought some going out of business barrels from Montana Rifleman and have one of the Turks that is 30-06 that shoots pretty good.

A beat-to-heck Chiang Kai-shek rifle, in 8x57. $100, last year.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    1936 Turk I bought about 30 years ago. I think it was $87.00
    I remember when turk mausers were 29$ and then went to 39$.. bought a few..

Boolit Master
    Buy one now. The ones we got for $59 were rough, I bought a real nice one for $79 and held on to it for a couple of years and the kid next door had done me wrong on an SKS wanted it so I got even and he paid me $225.

Cheapest roughest Mauser I have is one I threw together in a Frankenmauser way. Was a rusty and bent pre-WWI Danzig action, not fit for any custom work or even a rebuild. Mated it with a Serbian barrel and slapped a $20 Chiang Kai Shek stock from Apex on it that must have been in a cave somewhere in China for all this time. Kicks like a mule with that stock. Not sure why I went to all the trouble, but I guess I was bored. I would not do it again, as mating that barrel was no picnic. Neither was straightening that action.

Boolit Master

The cheapest Mauser that I have is an Israeli Mauser in 308 W that Wes in Hurricane Katrina and was given to me!
    The barrel looked like a sewer pipe so I converted it to 45ACP!
    It looks just like the picture on the Rhineland Arms website!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I remember when turk mausers were 29$ and then went to 39$.. bought a few..
    And that price included a bayonet from some distributors. They were a great deal even then.

Boolit Buddy

Got an unfired Spandau 71/84 Mauser for a beater Uberti 1873 single action 45 Colt repro. Looks like this ole' Mauser was made last week! The Lacota Sioux brave and Kevin Costner in the lodge trading and smokin the pipe in "Dances With Wolves": Goode trade!!!! said the warrior.

Boolit Master

In '95 I found a BRNO Mauser 98/22 of '24 vintage in a Big 5 store here in Las Vegas for $89. It was in full cosmoline and a few hours in a black plastic garbage bag and wrapped in paper towels and left on the lawn in full sun on a 110 degree day took off the worst of it. It turned out to be a good shooter but I had to bubbarize a taller front sight as it shot more than a foot high at 50 yards.

I took it to Ray Lynn, a local custom gunny and he worked over that rifle some. He rebarreled it with a Douglas match barrel in 6.5x55 Sweed, engine turned the bolt and took out the straight part of the handle, installed a new timmney trigger with a pull of only #2.25, installed a new thumb hole laminated stock with a decent recoil pad and finally reblued the whole deal. Colt would be jealous it was so nice. While he had the rifle in the shop I managed to break my fibula when I dumped my Triumph to avoid being T boned. He ended up delivering the rifle to me and left with a small pile of money.

He passed away shortly thereafter and the rifle is a tack driver. With my reloads it groups 1/2" all day at 100 yds.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    My cheapest mauser was Chilean '93 in 7x57 for $26 that I won at an auction. At the same auction I won a swedish mauser '94 carbine for $150 so that is my favorite mauser.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123