Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Any 300 Savage stuff around?

Any 300 Savage stuff around?

Just bought a 99 in 300 Savage. Just trying to see if anyone had any brass, dies, or cast bullets, lying around they weren’t using. If you have any favorite load recipes you’d like to share.

Size some 308 Win brass in 300 Savage dies (May need to adjust the die a bit short to deal w/ spring back on the brass when pushing the front of shoulder in & back -- it's a shallower angle than 300 Sav). 308 is easy to get, and a bit sturdier than most 300 Sav.

Cast Loads I liked: Lyman 311291 w/ Win LP, 15 gr 2400, or 18gr SR4759; LEE 170 RF w/ Win LP, 14 gr 2400.

Jacketed: I really like LeverEvolution as a powder. Great velocity, easy extraction (whereas I didn't have easy extraction w/ higher published load data w/ other powders in my rifle). No published data on LeverEvolution in 300 Savage, so call Hodgdon, or do it if you know how. If you don't know how, I am not printing mine. I did get about a 100-150 fps boost w/ that powder.
    I did have some great groups w/ I4064 and Sierra 150 SP FB, but velocity was pathetic (2000-2200 fps) where it shot really well.
    Alliant 2000 MR Does look promising, but I have not used it yet. There is published data on this, and it does boost velocity as well.

Boolit Bub

300 brass

I have 2 boxes of 300 Savage brass, Remington (looks once fired) and Western (who knows # of firing) If you're interested.

Scott Z

Thanks guys. I do have a ton of 308 brass so I guess I’ll try to make a few. Thanks for the cast info also. I’ll play around with it and see what it likes best.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

i checked, unfortunately I don't have a second set of dies.

If you can get your hands on a form and trim it's well worth the money. Forming from Lake city consists of a single swipe with a hacksaw and a pass with a file. Way faster than trimming reformed necks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Aneal and resize .308 brass....

look for the best price on original .300 savage brass and buy 50, that should take care of your hunting needs,unless you want to plink alot. my .300 savage is a older rem 722 and and i seldom need more than one shot to take a deer, so for me 20 rounds should last at least 10 years worth of hunting.