Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Brand new to muzzleloaders/help

Boolit Buddy

Brand new to muzzleloaders/help

I recently acquired a 45 caliber muzzleloader marked Jukar-Spain. There’s the stock barrel and a few pieces of brass hardware. Nothing else, I found everything I need on the deer creek website except the nipple drum. I called them to ask about it and they said they can’t sell me one for liability purposes but they can install one for $75. Is there something I’m missing, is this drum that easy to screw up that you can’t install it yourself? The last thing I want to do Is blow my face off to save $75 but if it’s just a simple screw it in tight i can do that myself. I would appreciate some wisdom in this area please Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5480.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	317465 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5482.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	317466 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5479.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	317467 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5492.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	317468

Track of the wolf has drums listed on their website. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/809/1 The most expensive is $10.00. You may have to call to make sure you get the right one.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you have pulled the breech plug to see how the drum is fitted I would be carefull. CBS and others use a drum that screws through the plug and is then drilled for the powder chamber. I have a special long drill to do these. If it is a standard set up make sure the drum threads don't intrude into the powder chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Track also has a jig for marking the spot to drill the nipple hole, or used to have one. It's not rocket science, just take your time and go slow. A lot of the imported stuff has a silly long threaded shank that goes into the breech plug. My approach is to thread it in hand tight, mark it, remove and drill it, reinstall.

Boolit Master
    I too would have things like the breech plug and drum threads checked out by someone experienced in Muzzleloaders.
    You don't know why someone removed the drum.
    And did they previously pull the breech plug.
    It isn't a major issue.
    But it is the heart of chamber pressure.
    And it is better if you do a little checking on things since you don't have previous experience.
    I check the threads for the drum with my bore scope.
    Plus I check out the threads with the proper bottoming tap.
    I have seen tons of barrels where someone pulled the drum to do cleaning or replace it because it was rusted on the outside.
    I just recently installed drums on a rifle and a pistol.
    But those were new barrel builds or replacement of breech plugs.
    I did get the drums from TOW along with the new breech plugs.
    I ordered the drums that were not drilled for the nipple.
    Drilling and tapping the drum for the nipple isn't that hard with the proper tools.

Boolit Bub
    Dear Creek made a deal with CVA to not sell breech plugs unless you let them install it for liability issues And sounds like either they made the same deal with regards to drums or their is a misunderstanding

Boolit Master
    Dikar / Jukar / CVA ---I would leave the breech plug alone unless whoever had it previously has monkeyed with it
    If the breech plug has not been moved a replacement drum should screw straight in IF it was made for those barrels. The drum thread on these goes through the extended end of the breech plug so its gotta be true (test as Lags suggests with a bottoming tap - its metric - cant remember the number) Maybe the last bloke was converting to flintlock - thats the best reason to take the drum out. Screw a nice recessed touch hole liner in - little Maslin flintlock and yre in business. (I like flinters )

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When you screw it in, consider putting a bit of Teflon tape on the threads.