WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer Availability

Primer Availability

I'm not a hoarder, but I am lucky enough to have stashed away a few different bricks of primers. I'm an experimenter so I like to have several different brands to experiment with. The heat has kept me away from the range this summer so I'm not going through a lot of primers or powder.

All I hear now a days around my neck of the woods is "Where can I find some primers?" It seems like LRP are the most scarce. It got me to wondering what is easiest & hardest primers to find: SRP, Mag-SRP, LRP, Mag-LRP, Shotshell, etc.? Even those willing to pay the obscene prices seem to only be able to find the off-brand stuff (i.e. no-CCI, no-Fed, no-Win & no-Rem).

Cast Boolits seems to be a large diverse shooting group of folks spread across the Country. What are y'all seeing around the Country as far as the primers situation?

Last edited by pertnear; 08-30-2023 at 11:07 AM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Seems to be no problem here in Tulsa. Maybe it's a regional thing? We were short on primers maybe 2 years ago but every store seems to have them now.

Winchester LPP, SRP, SPP available in Michigan in stores, and really (in my mind) not horrifically priced (~80/1000 retail). More than I want to pay, but not the " H no " auction prices, and it's walk in, hand over the $80 & tax, get a 1000.

I always factor in what Hazmat and shipping would be, were they sent to my home -- I usually buy 5,000 or so at a time. So, when my S & HM hits at $45+, it becomes a consideration on the price of a 1000 carton.
    Also, all the internet sales are taxed now, so no motivation there. Not the case anymore where I could partner with a friend to increase the buy and pay the S & HM instead of tax.

Lots of off brand SPP & LPP here too -- I see them $60/1000 SP & $80/1000 LP.

It's LRP that are scarce for me, and of course it is what I am in need of as I use several different brands as best in particular application. I have enough of Some brands, and very little of others.

Seems that benchrest anything are pricey -- like 2x $ of others. Glad I mostly do not use.
    Last edited by TurnipEaterDown; 08-30-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    Seeing SPP here, about $80/K, CCI, Win and Fiochi. Haven't seen any LRP, LPP or SRP, but haven't been to the local places in a month or more.

Boolit Master

I don't bother using spp any more. I've been using srp which I have with no problems
    I use them in 9mm, .38 spec.

I will occasionally see CCI or WW LRP through Shootingbot, almost always through Natchez, Midsouth or Powder Valley. I only use these for LRP, though I do use Rem 9 1/2 LRM, which I got from Midsouth last time. All of them are not available locally and haven't been for some time. I haven't started reloading my son's 45 ACP and sold my Ruger .44 mag some time ago, though I'll be needing the pistol primers at some point.

My LGS has in stock both Federal 209A shotshell primers (and Blackhorn 209), both of which I need as I am getting into muzzleloading and will be getting a CVA Optima V. 2.
    -Paul

It is inappropriate to make offers to buy or trade for items outside S&S. Keep it on topic!
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I began shooting shotgun sports shortly before the dry spell began. I still have my rifle/pistol primers and primers for shot shells have been available on line. Those are approximately $60 per k delivered.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Only one kind of local store (35 miles away) that has consistently had primers in stock this year.
    They have CCI and Federal mostly and some Winchester, in sp sr, and lp. The lr have been scarce to non-existent.
    They run $85 to 100 per k.
    Luckily enough I'm still sitting on 4 to 5000, of all 4 types that I use.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I don't bother using spp any more. I've been using srp which I have with no problems
    I use them in 9mm, .38 spec.
    I haven't had any misfires, but the SRP's seem a bit harder than SPP. The SRP's don't "flatten" as much in my 380 loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot a "wildcat" case in my schuetzen benchrest rifle, made from a common 357 Mag case by simple FL sizing, or from an obscure European metric case that has to be cut to length and then FL sized. Either way, since it's a striker fired rifle action, I use SRPs, with preference given to Federal's Match primers. I bought a bunch long ago, before they went over the ridiculous price of $20/1000 and am not sure what I'll do when these run out. Fortunately I only shoot a few hundred a year, so my stash will last a while, but I'm wondering, are the Federal SR Match primers showing up where you are?
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

get the stuff you need to make your own. I can make 100 primers for about 20 cents. Go to ardvark reloading on the e web and check it out. I did and make my own primers and caps for my black powder guns. Center fire primers are non corrosive. Its not hard and it works.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

make your own primers and cast boolits all you have to do is stock up on powder. You can shoot for a lot less money

The only reason i do it is because i live in a remote part of Alaska and cant get primers there isn't a store here where i live that sells primers powder or boolits. I do what i have to do so i can shoot. When i go to Anchorage AK the availability isnt there and if it was i cant bring it back on the airplane to where i live. Factory ammo is really expensive. I saw a box of 243 win ammo for $50.00 for a box of 20. I was in Anchorage AK a couple weeks ago and 40 S&W was on sale for $40.00 for 50 rounds they had a pallet of it at Cabela's on display. I can make the same ammo for less than $4.00. Every thing is getting out of control

As for primers around my area , it is LRP that is hard to find. All the others are able to get . I do not need any for I had got what I needed sometime ago for how things was at the time compare to now. If it get too bad I will just do like lead chucker dose load my own that for how I do it is different but it works just the down side is that you need to clean the gun after use because of what I use to load the primers. I just want to use the factory stuff first .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

My center fire primers are non corrosive. my black powder caps are but so is black powder so not an issue i clean after shooting. the non corrosive doesn't matter clean if you want to its like shooting factory ammo Non Corosive.

Ok that is good it works for you

The local CAL Ranch store has had primers in stock regularly for about the last month, mostly SPP, LPP and SRP, still restricted to one box of 100 per day, (or 150 if it's Fiocchi), but it's there. They finally have enough powder that they moved it from behind the counter to the floor. Real black is non existent, of course, and the bullet selection hasn't change in months, but they have something!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    make your own primers and cast boolits all you have to do is stock up on powder. You can shoot for a lot less money
    Now you got me thinkin'...

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    get the stuff you need to make your own. I can make 100 primers for about 20 cents. Go to ardvark reloading on the e web and check it out. I did and make my own primers and caps for my black powder guns. Center fire primers are non corrosive. Its not hard and it works.
    Thanks for the site .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast