Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Ruger blackhawk 357 reloading with cast boolits

Boolit Master

Ruger blackhawk 357 reloading with cast boolits

SO, I REMEMBER SEEING A POST ON THE CORRECT SIZER USED FOR REVOLVER BULLETS BASED ON THE CYLINDER THROAT DIA., BUT I CANT FIND IT.
    i MEASURED EACH CHAMBER, 2 @ .356, AND THE OTHER 4 AT .357.
    WHAT SIZE SHOULD I SIZE THE CAST BOOLITS?

Boolit Master
    Contact member DougGuy and have him hone your chamber throats to .3585". The chamber throats need to be at least as large as your groove diameter.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    contact member dougguy and have him hone your chamber throats to .3585". The chamber throats need to be at least as large as your groove diameter.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Contact member DougGuy and have him hone your chamber throats to .3585". The chamber throats need to be at least as large as your groove diameter.
    ^^THIS^^ I have a RBH 45colt that had 0.4505" avg throats. Shot ok with cast but always got early leading. Opened them to 0.452" & leading pretty much went away & accuracy was better.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum since 1970 , the Lyman manual at that time instructed to size them .357" which I did for 40 years .
    Tried .358" a couple years ago and the accuracy is the same ...5 shots touching and 1 shot 1/4" away from the rest ... there always seems to be one .

I might be tempted to leave the 4 throats at .357" and have the other two reamed to .357" to match ... but ask DougGuy what would be proper ...he's the expert...
    ... hole reamer
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    SO, I REMEMBER SEEING A POST ON THE CORRECT SIZER USED FOR REVOLVER BULLETS BASED ON THE CYLINDER THROAT DIA., BUT I CANT FIND IT.
    i MEASURED EACH CHAMBER, 2 @ .356, AND THE OTHER 4 AT .357.
    WHAT SIZE SHOULD I SIZE THE CAST BOOLITS?
    Not sure how the oversize ones (all of them) are ever going to get smaller to .3585"????? That would be a trick!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I've had a Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum since 1970 , the Lyman manual at that time instructed to size them .357" which I did for 40 years .
    Tried .358" a couple years ago and the accuracy is the same ...5 shots touching and 1 shot 1/4" away from the rest ... there always seems to be one .

I might be tempted to leave the 4 throats at .357" and have the other two reamed to .357" to match ... but ask DougGuy what would be proper ...he's the expert...
    ... hole reamer
    Gary
    That would work.

Boolit Grand Master

I had Doug work my 45lc Blackhawk. Highly recommend his work
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    How did you measure your chambers?
    I guess my question is, are you confident in your measurement?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
    How did you measure your chambers?
    I guess my question is, are you confident in your measurement?
    Yeah unless you are using pin gages or inside micro, its a guess. Sized bullets as pin gages may be ok, if you can accurately measure those.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Not sure how the oversize ones (all of them) are ever going to get smaller to .3585"????? That would be a trick!
    So .3585" is smaller than .356" and .357"?
    OK.

Boolit Master
    Not to discourage having work done, but if you have a sizer it is simpler to just size a bullet and see if it goes through the chambers. Then you will know for sure if your measurements are right and if you need to spend effort having the gun worked on.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Not to overcomplicate the issue, but before starting work on the cylinder, I would start by checking for frame crush first, and work backwards from there.

You can check this with pin gauges. If the bore diameter of your barrel will allow - for example - a maximum of .346" or .347" pin gauge to start down the muzzle, but it won't push past or gets tighter at the junction of frame and barrel, then you have probably .001" to .002" of compression from when your barrel was screwed in under force. This can cause leading if your bullets can't obturate back up to the correct diameter of the rest of the bore.

Look up some of our threads on fire-lapping your barrel with grit impregnated bullets. This will hone out your frame crush, and if you're clever enough to only shoot your lapping bullets out of your tighter chamber throats, you can possibly bring those up to the same spec as the rest.

But once any frame crush is gone, you can properly slug your bore for groove diameter, and make determinations on what your cylinder may need from there. Odds are you have a .357" groove, will ultimately want .358" bullets, and a baaaaaaarely larger than .358" cylinder throat.

Basically, start with the barrel and work from there.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Not to overcomplicate the issue, but before starting work on the cylinder, I would start by checking for frame crush first, and work backwards from there.

You can check this with pin gauges. If the bore diameter of your barrel will allow - for example - a maximum of .346" or .347" pin gauge to start down the muzzle, but it won't push past or gets tighter at the junction of frame and barrel, then you have probably .001" to .002" of compression from when your barrel was screwed in under force. This can cause leading if your bullets can't obturate back up to the correct diameter of the rest of the bore.

Look up some of our threads on fire-lapping your barrel with grit impregnated bullets. This will hone out your frame crush, and if you're clever enough to only shoot your lapping bullets out of your tighter chamber throats, you can possibly bring those up to the same spec as the rest.
    +1 - Doesn't make a difference if all the chambers are the same diameter if the barrel swages them down further. Having all of the chambers set to .359" wouldn't make a lick of sense if the bore measures .360" either.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

But once any frame crush is gone, you can properly slug your bore for groove diameter, and make determinations on what your cylinder may need from there. Odds are you have a .357" groove, will ultimately want .358" bullets, and a baaaaaaarely larger than .358" cylinder throat.

Basically, start with the barrel and work from there.
    In addition to the thread choke there can also be a restriction along where all the warnings and info is stamped/roll pressed into the barrel. I found this in my 80's RedHawk and Ruger Speed Six using pin gauges. As mentioned, a proper fire lapping regime can fix a lot.

I bought manuals/components from both NECO Pressure(fire) Lapping https://www.neconos.com/category/PRESSUREFIRELAPPING-20 and Beartooth Bullets, Technical Guide, A Comprehensive Guide for Unsurpassed Performance Using Cast Bullets by J. Marshall Stanton. Marshall Stanton's book is a genuine treasure to me. Unfortunately Beartooth Bullets and Marshall Stanton seem to have sailed into the sunset.

edit: there is a Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide listed on Fleabay for about twice what I paid ten years ago.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-12-2023 at 08:20 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan