RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low power 20mm scope with duplex reticle?

Boolit Grand Master

Low power 20mm scope with duplex reticle?

I need to put a scope on my 1894C. What I want is a low power, standard eye relief riflescope with a 20ish mm objective for aesthetics and as close as I can get to a plain Jane duplex reticle. And I want to spend less than $500 for it.

The Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x fixed power would be perfect, but try to find one.

The Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 isn’t terrible, but I was trying to get a standard crosshair and not an illuminated dot.

Everything else I’ve found is either very expensive or has some tacticool reticle. I’ve got a couple of the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x20 with the MOA ring reticle on ARs and that’s not what I want for my classic lever gun. The pig plex is better, but still pretty far from a standard duplex.

This place has an incredible hive mind. If what I want is out there, someone here knows about it. I appreciate any help!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I was looking for something along those lines several years ago, and found my answer in the Leupold VX-1 Shotgun scope. It's a variable, 1-4 X, and 95% of the time it's set at 2x. I liked it so much that I now have four of them, one on my 1894c, one on my M500 slug gun, one on my .50 caliber inline muzzle loader and the fourth on my 30-30. These scopes all have the "Heavy Duplex" crosshair, it's perfect for the heavy cover that I hunt in and there's no problem seeing the crosshairs if there's any light at all. Small, lightweight, tough as nails, works for me!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I need to put a scope on my 1894C. What I want is a low power, standard eye relief riflescope with a 20ish mm objective for aesthetics and as close as I can get to a plain Jane duplex reticle. And I want to spend less than $500 for it.

The Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x fixed power would be perfect, but try to find one.

The Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 isn’t terrible, but I was trying to get a standard crosshair and not an illuminated dot.

Everything else I’ve found is either very expensive or has some tacticool reticle. I’ve got a couple of the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x20 with the MOA ring reticle on ARs and that’s not what I want for my classic lever gun. The pig plex is better, but still pretty far from a standard duplex.

This place has an incredible hive mind. If what I want is out there, someone here knows about it. I appreciate any help!
    The FXII is what I have on both my Marlin 45-70 gg and my son's 336. Leu told me some time ago that they haven't stopped producing it, but they do it in infrequent runs. From what I've seen, they've all but stopped if not stopped completely. I did just look and Midsouth is showing as "Backorder OK," so not sure if that means they expect more in the offing.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I have a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4X with duplex reticle and it is excellent. Like the OP like the smaller straight tube scopes on hunting rifles. IIRC was about $200. Also have an older Leupold 1.5 -5X with the duples reticle and it is also excellent, but don't recsall what I paid for it.

I, too, use a lightweight (7oz) 2-1/2X, short (9") "shotgun" scope (no different than a "rifle" or "muzzleloader" scope) - except for it's 7" eye relief.

When mounted on the rib of my Ruger #1, with the eyepiece even with the receiver ring, it was as fast to use as a receiver peepsight.

It's a $50 20mm Simmons (straight objective) that has stood up to both a shotgun and a few (heavy recoiling) rifles for many years.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...cope-171754079

I've found it to be comparable to my 3X Leupold in optical clarity and durability (YMMV).

Last edited by pietro; 08-28-2023 at 10:22 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I was looking for something along those lines several years ago, and found my answer in the Leupold VX-1 Shotgun scope. It's a variable, 1-4 X, and 95% of the time it's set at 2x. I liked it so much that I now have four of them, one on my 1894c, one on my M500 slug gun, one on my .50 caliber inline muzzle loader and the fourth on my 30-30. These scopes all have the "Heavy Duplex" crosshair, it's perfect for the heavy cover that I hunt in and there's no problem seeing the crosshairs if there's any light at all. Small, lightweight, tough as nails, works for me!
    That would have been the nuts, but unfortunately discontinued by the manufacturer. Now they want to sell you the pig plex in that application. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll search other manufacturers for that option.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I love this type of scope, and conclude that Leupold is the best way to go. Everything else in this category is discontinued and has no warranty or repair support left. My three Marlin .30-30's wear them: one VX-3 and two VX-Freedoms (current version of VX-1). If you can find one, the old Japanese Weaver V3 1-3x20 is an outstanding scope and actually more compact than the Leupold. Unfortunately, my understanding is that Bushnell or whoever owns Weaver these days will only replace it with a new 3-9x40 which totally defeats the purpose of a compact scope. If you can live without warranty support there are alot of good ones out there. The old Japan made Bushnell Banners are really good and you can get a nice one for well under a c-note.

Burris used to make this type of scope and as far as I know they still honor the warranty on them no matter how old they are or if you bought it used. However, if they can't fix it you'll probably just receive a Fullfield II 3-9x40 as a replacement. Not a bad thing, as the Fullfield is an awesome scope, but it's not compact by any means.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

You can still get the VX-Freedom with duplex reticle for $200.00 or so on Fleabay and Gunbroker pretty easily if you are patient. I got two of them in the last month.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve owned my last Simmons and I was hoping for new… but wish in one hand and spit in the other!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Boolit Master
    Leupold doesn't really do their standard Duplex in that FX2; most of those scopes are done with the Wide Duplex.
    I have looked through the uncommon Heavy Duplex and it is crazy thick.
    Most of the older M8's in that same form factor are glossy finish and use the standard Duplex which is what I've always preferred.
    Just a FYI,

Boolit Grand Master

I’d prefer the standard, but would gladly take a heavy duplex over the tacticool reticles.

Boolit Master

"We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    He says it’s pig plex.

I’m keeping an eye on the site looking for either an FX-II Ulralight or a standard duplex VX Freedom.

Boolit Grand Master
    Also keep an eye open in the swapping and selling section. Within the last year I picked up a Redfield Widefield 2 3/4X that now resides on my Marlin Model 336CB in .38-55.

Robert

The M8 2x Compact is worth looking for.
    I check the bay every so often for fixed power scopes; last year I picked up a Weaver K1.5 and two K2.5 steel scopes that now live on my house AR15, my 44-40 Topper, and my 91 Mauser.
    I’m not one for overscoping ; and it’s sad that the clean lines and utility of the old fixed power scopes are things of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

There’s a few M8s up for auction. They are a little pricier than I'd prefer for used scopes. I’ll keep watch though. Thanks!

I ended up with a Leopold 1.5-4 Freedom with the MOA Ring; wanted a standard or wide duplex, but figured I could learn to use the reticle for holdovers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	317464

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I’ve owned my last Simmons and I was hoping for new… but wish in one hand and spit in the other!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    The OLD Simmons Whitetail and Pro Hunter are really good scopes. I have a 2-7x32 Pro Hunter on my .223 Zastava bolt gun right now. They were made in the Phillippines where alot of good optics are made, including Vortex and Burris. They did make a 1-5x20 which looks eerily similar to the Nikon Monarch. No warranty or factory support that I know of, but for a fraction of Leupold price it's not a bad bet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I ended up with a Leopold 1.5-4 Freedom with the MOA Ring; wanted a standard or wide duplex, but figured I could learn to use the reticle for holdovers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	317464
    I have that scope and reticle on 2 different ARs, and it is decent glass and the tacticool ranging features let me pretend I’m an operator, but it isn’t what I want on my pretty little lever gun

I do not recall the exact prices I paid for these but I think this amount listed on the right is close;

LEUPOLD VX-3 1.5 -5 X 20 mm ($400 ish 5 yrs ago)
    BURRIS 1.5x6 Signature Series ($300 - 25 yrs ago) at the time Burris had this listed in their catalog as there brightest scope.
    LEUPOLD VX-III 1.75 - 6 X 32 mm ($350 -- 5-7 yrs ago)
    Weaver 1-3X - Very nice for the price, (< $150 I bought 3 of them around 2010) held zero on Rem 11-87 Slug, Rem M SEVEN KS in 350 Rem Mag, and a 416 wildcat. I compared these 40 min before sun up to a 2.5 x 8 Leupold VX-3 not much difference in very low light. My eyes and my daughter's eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast