RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Load data for Ranch Dog 432-265 boolit in handgun?

Boolit Mold

Load data for Ranch Dog 432-265 boolit in handgun?

I have looked but cannot find load data for my Ranch Dog .432-265 gas check boolit in a handgun.

Can someone please point me to some min/max load data for this boolit in a handgun? (S&W 6.5" 629 Classic) I have H110, Lil Gun and Unique powder on hand.

Again, thank you if you can help me.

Moderator Emeritus

Measure the bearing surface, or area of the bullet that is in contact with the bore. Use data from a similar bullet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    You're not going to see any load data for the Ranch Dog series in authoritative published sources. It's a custom bullet design, but admittedly a popular one.

I don't think bearing surface figures much into the equation. A bigger factor is probably how deeply the bullet seats into the case. From what I've seen, the Ranch Dog designs tend to seat deeper into the case vs. other cast bullets of similar weight. This would require you to back the powder charge off a bit vs. other designs of similar weight.

I would look up load data for other 260-265 grain cast bullets, and drop the starting charge maybe a half grain or so. I'm specifically thinking of H110/296 here, but it would apply to Lil Gun as well.

For Unique, I'd just start at 8 or 9 grains and work my way up to 10. I don't think I'd go much beyond 10 grains of Unique though.

In Ruger Super Blackhawks I had success with 22.0 of 296/h110 and standard primers. My guns, my loads, my shooting. Use at your own risk.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Just use STARTING data from the Hornady 265 grain bullet.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Of the powders you mention Unique would be my choice.

You can always use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets & work up. Lots of data for 300gr bullets. Yes bearing surface matters.
    Powder choice depends on what you are trying to achieve. I use Unique for low to midrange but you need slower powders for highest vel with lowest pressures.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I've used 22-24 grains of H-110 in my SBH, seated to the crimping groove with a pretty solid roll crimp for a while. I've never had any high pressure signs in my gun. Note: I have chronographed the 24gr load around 1580fps out of my 7.5" barrel. NO WAY I WOULD GO THIS HIGH IN A SMITH!! I don't have the book in front of me, but I think the Lyman data starts at 20gr and goes up to 23gr for H-110.

My favorite load is 13gr of HS-6. This gives me just over 1300fps and is accurate as all get out.

For Unique, I've loaded 9gr of powder for just about every boolit from the 265 down to 200. It's a pretty tame load that just seems to be accurate in every combination I've tried it in.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you guys! As you can see I am still in the learning process, but I will get there with your help.

NOE has load data. Compare it though with a commercial source.