Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solvent to clean off stubborn case lube?

To remove lanolin based case lube, you probably need a stronger alcohol. 90% alcohol should do it. Most grocery stores sell 60-70% alcohol, with a higher water content. A pharmacy should have it.

Boolit Master
    I buy 99% isopropyl acolhol from Livestock supply outlets. I add some to my diesel engine fuel supply in the winter. At auto and truck parts supply outlets it is sold in small bottles as a fuel treatment.

I use the product for disinfecting animal working tools and some goes to fuel treatment.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez don't forget the SPARK HAZARD for gasoline in plain sheet steel vesssls.
    (Tin plated steel is OK.)

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    As a final resort, methyl-ethyl-ketone. (MEK at Home Despot).

Don't breathe the fumes. I mean REALLY don't breathe the fumes.
    The stuff we have at the local Home Depot is labeled "MEK Substitute". It smells exactly like MEK and works the same. MEK can still be bought from the industrial supply places (like https://dallasgrp.com/products-applications/) but for whatever reason it's not sold in retail locations any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    The stuff we have at the local Home Depot is labeled "MEK Substitute". It smells exactly like MEK and works the same. MEK can still be bought from the industrial supply places (like https://dallasgrp.com/products-applications/) but for whatever reason it's not sold in retail locations any more.
    Doesn't surprise me. The stuff is hellishly destructive to your liver.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    My main way of cleaning skanky cases, is in an old stainless pot on the stove with boiling water and auto-dish detergent. Grease, wax, carbon -- it all comes off. jd
    I bought some automatic dishwasher detergent. I'm going to boil the cases in my oil-changing pan over the propane cooker.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Give them a swish with Denatured Alcohol. (Home Depot or Lowes sells it by the gallon) It will strip wax...and will evaporate quickly.
    redhawk
    Tried alcohol. It got some of the lube off but not the waxy stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    ^^^this^^^

For a solvent, gasoline works pretty well. Just keep your hands out of it.
    I'll try gas if the D-W boil doesn't work.

Better than dishwasher powder, buy a box of TriSodium Phosphate from the paint section of the hardware store. TSP used to be the main ingredient in dishwasher and laundry powders until about 40 years ago, when some greenies in Washington (state) convinced the EPA that it was a nationwide pollution hazard. The EPA ban is why both detergents don't works as well anymore. Add some to the laundry, or the dishwasher, and see for yourself.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    I was going to suggest using a rag dampened with mineral spirits and manually wiping down each case then I noticed how many you had to do and how much somebody said MS costs these days.

The main time I had to use it was after sizing (to remove the waxy sizing lube I used to use) and when my cases got contaminated with the relatively soft bullet lube I used. A 1-2 oz bottle in my range box with a piece of an old T shirt and I was good to go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Be sure you get "real" TSP. I got some what turned out to be a substitute, it won't clean **** off shinola
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    3M wax and grease cleaner would probably work, if you can find it. They usually have it in Auto Body supply stores. It’s made for cleaning car waxes off vehicles when body shops are prepping them. Or their adhesive remover works about the same too, last time I got it was on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I got several pounds of 38 cases. Some of them have a very stubborn lube on them. It appears to be sizing wax. A lot of it. I tried cleaning with Dawn, and I tried rubbing alcohol. Neither worked.

I don't tumble my cases, so that is out.

What solvent should I use to get these cases clean? Is gasoline out of the question?
    Thanks in advance.
    I have a similar situation, nickel plated cases that were in house fire and plastic bags melted on the cases along with black smoke.
    Was told, manufacturer, to use baby oil at about 300 degrees and bag plastic would melt and come off.
    Have not tried this solution, don't like heating things like that.
    Have had good luck using hydralic brake fluid as solvent and intend to try it on the cases.
    Its to-it just hasn't come up yet!
    I may try a hand full tomorrow and see if the brake fluid removes anything.
    thanks

Boolit Master
    It took gasoline.
    Then I cleaned them with dish washer soap.
    I will leave the gas in an open can and let it evaporate.
    I think whatever was on there was very old.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 09-04-2023 at 06:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Next time jus load and shoot them, they will likely come out clean enough to load again!

Boolit Master

Charcoal lighter fluid on a towel works well for me.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I tried some of the wax case lube. It left a soft gooey stuff on the cases after they were fire, Hoppe's #9 worked to take it off! Went back to grease to lube the cases!

Boolit Master
    put em in a strainer and dip them in a pot of acetone. acetone has removed all kinds of coatings, grease and grime that ive ever tried it on. if it is wax styrene will probably work. if acetone won't remove it I have no idea. I'm no chemist but if you have any way of finding out what exactly is on them there might be any easy answer of what will clean them.

Gasoline is the most dangerous way, glad there was no explosion from the vapors. Lot's of people have paid a serious price cleaning parts with gas. All it takes is a pilot light or a lit cigarette nearby or a static spark......next time start low and safe.

I'd start with Googone professional with an alcohol rinse and wipe down. Stronger would be mineral spirits with the same wipe down. Stronger still, lacquer thinner. But Googone Pro will usually be enough with just wax. Lemishine dishsoap mixed, work for wax, carbon and other crud but require some agitation.

As you were doing a lot, and just a soak and a rinse would be an advantage, then a soak in mineral spirits usually works as good a gasoline, but not explosive like gas....or lacquer thinner which IMO is a faster solvent than either of the other two, and still not as explosive as gas... both rinse well in water with a squirt of Dawn, then another rinse with just water.
    Last edited by GWS; 09-07-2023 at 11:59 PM.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

woolite
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12